Why drink "Energy Drinks" if you don't need them?

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
*I didnt mean to make this so long, but if you feel like reading a good well-informed discussion post, read on*

So, a random off topic post on another forum reminded me of something that got brought up in one of my classes recently that's really had me wondering about the addictive personalities of people in America. I was going to post this in SD, but instead of ending up with a good bashing, I thought i'd post it in roadside to get some good discussion going.

Anyway, most people anymore are pretty much addicted to energy drinks. It seems if kids in high school aren't slapping on monster energy stickers on everything they own and drinking one before school, taking one for lunch, drinking one after school and one with dinner, they aren't cool.

I also notice adults drinking them for a pick me up, or because they taste good, and I seriously see people loading up with like 6 at a time in gas stations. The thing that I don't understand is that much like cigarettes and alcohol, energy drinks have no real impact on your "energy level" except when you first use them, and after a while you're just drinking them because of a psychological dependency ( Note I said Psychological, not physical).

It's kind of hard to think about how a person could compare an energy drink to two licit drugs, but for example, a person who drinks three beers a day builds up a tolerance to those three beers, and can drink them daily without getting drunk. However a person with no alcohol tolerance may feel buzzed after one. Same with cigarettes, a person who smokes a whole cigarette once every 6 months can experience a nicotine induced "high" and feel on top of the world, but a daily smoker simply suffers from nicotine addiction.

Energy drinks have an extremely similar predicament. A person who drinks a monster when they actually "need" it, usually will get a boost of energy from all of the supplements inside. A person who drinks 3 a day feels basically no effect, and has their kidneys begging for mercy, and that isn't speculation. That's a fact. I know of several people who have had kidney trouble and when they went to the ER because they were in such bad pain, one of the first thing the doctor asked them about was how many energy drinks they drink in a day. In one extreme case, I know a 30 year old man who i'd see in the gas station EVERY morning this summer when i'd stop in to get a water
before my workout, who was going to work and would be buying a 4 pack of monster at the exact time I was buying my water. Every morning. Never failed. One morning, he wasn't there, I figured he was just sick. Next morning, still didn't show. Comes to find out, he was basically put on a "less harsh" form of dialysis because his kidneys were actually failing due to all of the un-needed supplements in his body.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those people who see something like energy drinks harming certain people and I suddenly think they should have an age limit or be regulated, I say we have freedom, it's your body, do what you want with it, but the fact that according to a 2010 survey that we went over in one of my classes, Energy drink consumption has went up over 250% since 2008. The top consumer, you ask? Teenagers who drink them while playing video games.

Carnitine, Beta-Alanine, Creatine... Those are ingredients that I have in some of the supplements I take before my two hour long workout routine everyday. Those are also the ingredients in a ton of the energy drinks out there that kids are consuming to play video games better? Just seems pointless. $3 a can to destroy your kidneys and make your piss expensive.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I'll have a energy drink once every few weeks. I find myself not having much of a appetite when I drink them.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
I drink maybe 3-4 a week at work, they dont give me energy anymore but taste so damn good, its either a green Monster or original Full Throttle.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I only drink them If i have to drive late at night after working all day.

Or with vodka when i am in Vegas.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Good post OP!

I'll confess I had an addiction to them in college. Used to work an internship and had to be at work every morning at 5am. I'd always stop at the gas station and grab a Monster. After about 6mo, like you said I found they really didn't do much for me. If anything they made me crash out 5-6 hours later mid afternoon! It was hard dropping them at first but now I rarely drink them and am much better off for it. I actually only drink Water now. Try to stray from Caffeine all together and find it ruff some mornings but I feel a lot better throughout the day!

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
Good post OP!

I'll confess I had an addiction to them in college. Used to work an internship and had to be at work every morning at 5am. I'd always stop at the gas station and grab a Monster. After about 6mo, like you said I found they really didn't do much for me. If anything they made me crash out 5-6 hours later mid afternoon! It was hard dropping them at first but now I rarely drink them and am much better off for it. I actually only drink Water now. Try to stray from Caffeine all together and find it ruff some mornings but I feel a lot better throughout the day!

Sounds like just what i'm explaining, eh? haha. I bet if you drink caffeine, or energy drinks in general, now you get all jittery and stuff, which is the effect they're supposed to have, which is why you crash so hard later.

The national mindset is that these artifical energy enhancers are great, but what they don't realize is that simple sugars and water are natural "energy supplements" If someone like yourself drinks water constantly, and goes as far as even drinking a caffeine free ( but sugary, as usual) soda, it'll work the same as a monster, redbull, NOS, etc.

My94GT

Established Member
i used to be addictied to red bull, i had to drink it while working or i felt sluggish and tired. eventually i dropped drinking red bull and started taking my lazy ass to the gym and taking vitamins daily and thats done the trick for my work week energy.

now i enjoy having a red bull from time to time during the week, and on the weekend when i go out ill drink some red bull and vodka. i just happen to really enjoy the taste now.

svt_fan1129

Established Member
Only had em in battleschool - i'd drink them when we were deployed into the fields. They are extremely bad for you. Apparently it reduces the liquids in ur spine ? Not too sure if thats accurate.

They would give me more of a body buzz then anything, kinda me sketchy and I wasnt as alert either ( my mind would be all over the place )

If I was really tired and needed energy, i'd prolly take half scoop of my pre workout stuff.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
I'm hooked on the 5 hour energy's, wonder how bad those are for me?

They're just like any other supplementation drink.

One or two every now and then will do just what it's supposed to. If you're drinking them everyday, it's bad for you, and your kidneys are getting their butt kicked.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
One of my coworkers drinks a 5 hour energy every morning and a monster at lunch. It's crazy, I keep telling her it's why she always feels crappy but she doesn't seem to care.

usmcrebel

Established Member
I never could get into the energy drink thing...i've had maybe 3 my entire life (monster/redbull kind) i did drink (8) 5 hour energy and 3 dr peppers, and tons of chocolate milk when i drove my brother back from San Diego made it in 31 hours and some change. With a stop in AZ to destroy the Heart Attack Grill they really need a bigger burger...

usmcrebel

Established Member
i dont understand why people drink redbull when pineapple juice does a way better job of waking you up and doesnt have horrible side affects.

I had an instructor in Infantry school who drank 3-4 for breakfast, 2-3 at lunch, and about 7-8 more before he went home...so around a case a day for him.

Dr.Jay

Out of my mind. Back in 5
Established Member
jaegermeistereis.jpg

hoamskilet

Established Member
Love me some blue Monster. I have gallon jug of water I drink throughout the day, but I'll stop and pick up a blue monster every once in awhile for a little flavor. I don't even really consider it an "energy drink", I just like it better than pop

Users who are viewing this thread