Who's got a tuned automatic??

Heavyfoot

Established Member
So I just bought my '12 auto a month ago. I've never owned an auto sports car and the only reason I got it this time is because this is my DD and traffic is sometimes a pain with the manual.
What I'm wanting to hear is you guys experience with tuning your autos and who u went with. I've heard that tuning an auto is such a drastic difference that it makes it feel like a new car (that's what I've heard).
The only reason I haven't done it yet is cause of the warranty issue (since its my DD). I know the procal is out there and helps retain the warranty but I know it's not going to give the same results as an aftermarket tune.
So let me know what u guys have and if u would have done something different knowing what u do now.
Thanks for the info!!

DIB5.0

Established Member
Tried several auto tunes on my '11. VMP was my favorite. The only draw back he is very busy and you can wait awhile for it.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
Thanks. I had him write a tune for me on my '06 and he had pretty quick response. Not as fast as AM, but not ridiculous.

TheYeti

Established Member
I plan on going with AED or VMP. Prob AED cause of what RedCandy said but I've heard VMP has a really great tune for the autos

Heavyfoot

Established Member
Anybody running American muscles tune with an auto? I know they arent as aggressive, but maybe that would make them a bit safer? Any input on them with an auto?

TheYeti

Established Member
Anybody running American muscles tune with an auto? I know they arent as aggressive, but maybe that would make them a bit safer? Any input on them with an auto?

just cause their not as aggressive doesnt mean their safer. Honestly, anyone that datalogs and dials in your tune is going to the safest since every car is different and the tune is set to your specific car.

I know if you experience knock or ping, AM will ask you to datalog and send your datalogs in.

If I didnt already have a tuner, I would prob go with AM at the beginning since you basically get the tunes for free after buying the tuner.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member

I run the AM/Bama tune through an 12 auto. They are definately SAFE tunes, so I am going to get AED tuned soon. If I DD my car they would be fine in the race tune, but my car is a street/strip car so I am seeking a very aggressive tune.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
OP me and you are in the same boat. My car too is a DD and I now have 8K on the clock and the only reason I waited this long was because of the warranty and I wanted all the tuners to work the bugs out first. Everything you read about tuning the auto is correct. My 2010 was an auto and when I first put my JLT cai and Bama tune it was a COMPLETE night and day difference.

Check out my thread I started on TMS, some pretty good info in there

BEST auto tuner?!? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Heavyfoot

Established Member
^^^^^Well I have a tuner already, so that's not the case. It just doesn't have any tunes for this car; It's from my '06. Did the tune at least modify your shift points and could u tell a difference from the stock? Since I DD my car idk if a "radical" tune is the best idea at this point, that's the only reason I was asking about them.
Although I seen posted above that it doesn't mean it's not as safe just cause its not As safe.

faztcobra

Established Member
I run the AM/Bama tune through an 12 auto. They are definately SAFE tunes, so I am going to get AED tuned soon. If I DD my car they would be fine in the race tune, but my car is a street/strip car so I am seeking a very aggressive tune.
Not sure if I misunderstood your post or not - but Shaun's tunes are safe. His tunes definitely feel more aggressive, but they are no less safe. I'm very comfortable with that fact after datalogging my car.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
OP me and you are in the same boat. My car too is a DD and I now have 8K on the clock and the only reason I waited this long was because of the warranty and I wanted all the tuners to work the bugs out first. Everything you read about tuning the auto is correct. My 2010 was an auto and when I first put my JLT cai and Bama tune it was a COMPLETE night and day difference.

Check out my thread I started on TMS, some pretty good info in there

BEST auto tuner?!? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I seen that u ended up with the stress tune and chose AED as your second choice. But I noticed that u said u "may" go with bama one day. What did that tell u or what made u choose the others over them?

TheYeti

Established Member
Not sure if I misunderstood your post or not - but Shaun's tunes are safe. His tunes definitely feel more aggressive, but they are no less safe. I'm very comfortable with that fact after datalogging my car.

I think he meant that there definitely is extra power to be had from the Bama tunes and that they erred on the side of caution...especially since they offer the #8 warranty.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Well the exact reason I went with Steeda is cause they have 0 failures to date and work extremely closely with ford. I ordered my tune with Mike Levine at 4 and have it by 530ish. Since I joined this forum all I read about was AED AED AED and how great shauns tunes are and now that he came out with the auto tunes I definitely want one. I just decided to go with steeda first since its only $65 and who knows, maybe the steeda tune will feel good enough for me and I wont need another tune.

On the bama note, I only said "may" go with them in the future because if I feel there is more to be had and the steeda tune isnt enough, I was considering the bama cause of the #8 warranty, but 95% I am going with AED if the Steeda isnt good enough.

I am waiting on my intake to come in the mail and already have the steeda 93 tune loaded on my tuner, so once I get the intake I will install everything and let you know how she feels.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
Please do cause I was leaning towards the bama tune. It's just that I don't want a tune that I'm not going to be happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread