Who will win? Procharged 96 cobra vs. 03 pullied cobra

corysmach1

Established Member
I just find it funny because everyone in this thread look only numbers and have no experience. people forget the fact that average hp per rpm is what matters, in other way, powerband. it is very common for a pullied cobra to beat a car that makes more power than itself.

I ran against friends 440rwhp 98 vortech cobra at least 10 times and not even once he stayed with me let alone beating me. I just recently ran against friends 98 vortech cobra which made 483rwhp and i think 400~rwtq (not sure about the tq) and he ran 11.7 and I ran 11.4 at track. He can drive is car very well and cut a better 60' than I did. I even trapped 1mph higher than his best trap.
I am sure your ride is quick, but if the pullied cobra is running healthy and driver can drive, you will have your hands full.

Walking away from a pullied cobra requires a lot of power. there is a couple car difference max between ported cobras vs non ported.

I have tested my pullied cobra against pretty much anything and I speak from an experience, unlike the bench racers in this thread.

I have done a lot of street racing. I agree with you it should be a good race.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I just find it funny because everyone in this thread look only numbers and have no experience. people forget the fact that average hp per rpm is what matters, in other way, powerband. it is very common for a pullied cobra to beat a car that makes more power than itself.

I ran against friends 440rwhp 98 vortech cobra at least 10 times and not even once he stayed with me let alone beating me. I just recently ran against friends 98 vortech cobra which made 483rwhp and i think 400~rwtq (not sure about the tq) and he ran 11.7 and I ran 11.4 at track. He can drive is car very well and cut a better 60' than I did. I even trapped 1mph higher than his best trap.
I am sure your ride is quick, but if the pullied cobra is running healthy and driver can drive, you will have your hands full.

Walking away from a pullied cobra requires a lot of power. there is a couple car difference max between ported cobras vs non ported.

I have tested my pullied cobra against pretty much anything and I speak from an experience, unlike the bench racers in this thread.

Didn't realize that I was a bench racer.. hmm. I guess my car beating a 2.9L whippled cobra with the same power as me by about 3 cars doesn't count.. :beer: I'm sure you were talking about everyone who doesn't actually have a centri car though right? lol

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
So ur friends 422rwhp GT has beat every pullied cobra minus a LT car? Did those other Cobra know he was racing? I have a upper pullied Cobra making 446rwhp in humid 98 degree NC heat and I am sure I can beat 422rwhp GT from a dig or roll. Only other mods is CAI and BAP. What was his 1/4 time and trap speed on that setup?

LOL at this typical 03 Cobra owner response. I hate to tell you, but there is more to racing than a dyno number, and you would have had ZERO chance from a roll with that GT. Here is a hint, that GT didnt weigh 3800 pounds with driver, or 3900+ like the one the OP is looking to run.

You would probably be baffled to see a certain member on here's 466 rwhp Mach 1 roll out on a Posi Ported 04 Cobra making 500ish then eh?

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
Didn't realize that I was a bench racer.. hmm. I guess my car beating a 2.9L whippled cobra with the same power as me by about 3 cars doesn't count.. :beer: I'm sure you were talking about everyone who doesn't actually have a centri car though right? lol

I am sure you have. As we have seen many cobras getting beat by cars which shouldnt beat them, but it happens as not everyone can drive / tune them right.

So what did you run in your car and what did that cobra run? also power / tq for both cars?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I am sure you have. As we have seen many cobras getting beat by cars which shouldnt beat them, but it happens as not everyone can drive / tune them right.

So what did you run in your car and what did that cobra run? also power / tq for both cars?

Both cars were tuned by the same tuner AED.. He can tune the shit out of both cars trust me. My car is not a drag car as I have full road racing suspension. The car ran 11.2@130 spinning through third on the same tune I ran my buddy on. Mind you that is not me driving, that is Drew the installer at AED driving..

http://www.youtube.com/user/AEDHP#p/a/u/1/djMqkxOHnqY

Power for my car was around 610rwhp and tq probably around 530rwtq.
Power for the 2.9L car was 613rwhp and iirc 520rwtq. My buddies car also hasn't seen the track.. His car made more average power and more average tq than my car. Also in this race his clutch wasn't slipping..
This was my first race since I've driven my car in over 1.5 years so my shift was slow as poo.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5a-sxAl6R4"]2.9L Whippled 04 Cobra VS 98 Cobra with Built motor, T-trim - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member

Problem with alot of these blower Cobra guys is they go to tuners and end up leaving with the rev limiters way too low, sure it might make 440 or whatever for a split second, but as soon as they shift, it's wayyyy down in power. If you arent pulling them to very close to, or right at 7k (in a b headed car anyway) with a blower, alot of them dont seem to run very well. Hell, they need to be shifted way up there n/a, let alone with a centri.

AWDLS2

Established Member

it never counts when it hurts someone else's argument :D

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Both cars were tuned by the same tuner AED.. He can tune the shit out of both cars trust me. My car is not a drag car as I have full road racing suspension. The car ran 11.2@130 spinning through third on the same tune I ran my buddy on. Mind you that is not me driving, that is Drew the installer at AED driving..

AEDHP's Channel - YouTube

Power for the 2.9L car was 613rwhp and iirc 520rwtq. My buddies car also hasn't seen the track.. His car made more average power and more average tq than my car. Also in this race his clutch wasn't slipping..
This was my first race since I've driven my car in over 1.5 years so my shift was slow as poo.
2.9L Whippled 04 Cobra VS 98 Cobra with Built motor, T-trim - YouTube

Same thing with the Vortech GT I mentioned above, he was going to run a KB 2v GT that made less peak power, but way more under the curve, my friend that works at the dyno layed both graphs over each other and said "the KB car is going to roll out". KB car got demolished when they did actually run.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My car also picked up like 28mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4mi so it's pretty much a top end monster.. My tq curve isn't like any other 98 cobra though since I have 04 cobra heads and a big bore motor. I make much more tq under the curve than most would think

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ you hush up there Mister N/A SS destroying damn near anything that it races!! hahahahah :beer:

musclefan21

Established Member

AEDHP's Channel - YouTube

2.9L Whippled 04 Cobra VS 98 Cobra with Built motor, T-trim - YouTube

According to the video, it appeared to me that the driving was decent, so 130mph should be accurate. spinning = more mph, less ET. If the traction was there, it was driven to its limits, the car should run appx. 10.6~@129-131mph would be my guess.

Now it is no secret 600~rwhp cobras have been trapping 132-133mph. I also dont know what kind of tune he wrote for the cobra, but that is awfully low tq for that blower.

Basically, you have a very fast car, however, with you trapping 130 and then pulling on a car that should trap 130+ on the highway tells me not everything is dialed in properly or simply the driver just couldnt drive it. If I get in behind a 600rwhp cobra, I won't let a 130mph car pull on me.

musclefan21

Established Member
Problem with alot of these blower Cobra guys is they go to tuners and end up leaving with the rev limiters way too low, sure it might make 440 or whatever for a split second, but as soon as they shift, it's wayyyy down in power. If you arent pulling them to very close to, or right at 7k (in a b headed car anyway) with a blower, alot of them dont seem to run very well. Hell, they need to be shifted way up there n/a, let alone with a centri.

My buddy shifts right at 7k in some cases 7200.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
According to the video, it appeared to me that the driving was decent, so 130mph should be accurate. spinning = more mph, less ET. If the traction was there, it was driven to its limits, the car should run appx. 10.6~@129-131mph would be my guess.

Now it is no secret 600~rwhp cobras have been trapping 132-133mph. I also dont know what kind of tune he wrote for the cobra, but that is awfully low tq for that blower.

Basically, you have a very fast car, however, with you trapping 130 and then pulling on a car that should trap 130+ on the highway tells me not everything is dialed in properly or simply the driver just couldnt drive it. If I get in behind a 600rwhp cobra, I won't let a 130mph car pull on me.

Well maybe.. If you look around at almost all the pump gas tuned 2.9L's tuned on this forum the tq is lower. That the problem with the bigger blowers.. you lose tq due to the power it takes to turn the blower.

My buddy can drive the shit out of a car no doubt about that. He shifted fast than me on that race as well.. Considering it was the first time I've driven my car lol. There can be excuses made all day why he didn't win or why a car that most would trap 130+ or whatever didn't.. I doubt that with you driving that same car you would be able to beat me. Or another Cobra running those same numbers be able to beat me. My car when it ran at the track had like 400miles on the new motor. Maybe my car loosened up some and gain more HP since that run idk. It's definatley possible considering that the motors AED builds tend to loosen up and gain around 30rwhp..

But the race between my buddy and I wasn't a very close race. 3 cars or so. Maybe my car is trapping higher than 131 or 130.. idk. either way I was just trying to show you that alot plays into it when running these cars. Centri's are a totally different animal on the top end. :beer:

musclefan21

Established Member
I also noticed that cobra's numbers are STD, yours are SAE. what are the SAE numbers for the cobra? That is low dyno numbers for the cobra, for that blower.

edit: got it, pump gas is the problem there.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I don't know the SAE numbers for my buddies cobra. My STD numbers on that tune around 620ish..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You ever bringing that car over from cali 98?

Yup.. I gotta save up money first.. My mom is coming to visit this coming Saturday.. I'm going to ask to borrow some money to ship it.. If not then I have to wait until my tax return comes..

Users who are viewing this thread