who is the best tuner and why?

badams03

Established Member
I have a Lund tune and have had a handful of revisions to turn things on and off since it's locked down so damn much. Every time I've contacted them except for once, I got a response back within a day. The one time I didn't get a response back..... Is when I went through Evo instead of Lunds website. I've bounced datalogs back and forth with Jon during New years eve and got a response within minutes. I have a measly NA car and he's(and his son) helped me quite a bit and I've been pretty happy with my tune.

11dsgGT

Established Member
Have you had revisions from shaun on the auto tune? And explain what you want it to do?

Yeah, I have had 3 or 4 revisions took videos and all. I have one of the early model 2011's that seem to be different/finicky and will need to go to a dyno in order to fix the issues Im experiencing. Its one of the things that can be done through a remote tune, but just isnt the right way to work it.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
This is where tuning the autos and having it known that the shift points, firmness, and lock up rates....can be changed makes everyone think that the tuner can get the 6r80 to act just the way they want it to.

Some people are easily pleased but others have very high demands from the auto, and its not always possible to get what the owner of the 6r80 wants.

When going with a tuner for the Auto, if you are going to be super picky about how it shifts, Go with some one who is going to give you ONE on ONE support.

Some tuners will just go in and increase some shift pressures and call it a day and some people are fine with that, but others to make them happy need some more attention.

Chris

4VFTW

Established Member
This is where tuning the autos and having it known that the shift points, firmness, and lock up rates....can be changed makes everyone think that the tuner can get the 6r80 to act just the way they want it to.

Some people are easily pleased but others have very high demands from the auto, and its not always possible to get what the owner of the 6r80 wants.

When going with a tuner for the Auto, if you are going to be super picky about how it shifts, Go with some one who is going to give you ONE on ONE support.

Some tuners will just go in and increase some shift pressures and call it a day and some people are fine with that, but others to make them happy need some more attention.

Chris
Boom...nail on the head. I am definitely one of the super picky people. I cannot see how anyone running a A6 car could claim to be 100% happy with any canned tune from any tuner. 1st off the tunes vary from car to car with same exact PCM code... what runs great on car A can run like dogshit on car B then throw personal preferences on top of that and forget it.

I like my car to shift firm at all times...most people seem to want there car to slush the shifts like stock unless WOT. My current tune hangs each gear until at least 2750rpm before it will shift , im betting 95% of people would hate that.

Chris has told me "I hate your car" but he always takes the time to make the changes "I" want and that's why I give them my business.

11dsgGT

Established Member

Chris

Exactly... This is why there are so many "tuning" threads.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
to be fair, Lund probably tunes what...80% of the coyotes out there? If there was a ford manufact. problem with pistons or what ever you would see it in the larger pool of the tuner. I wonder if another tuner had that kind of volume would we ALSO see the most #8's....who knows

mhyjek

Established Member
Piston 5 n 7 went to heaven
Word was it was a rush tune/job not good in my books when the hourly labor is $120!!
Lund is flat rate tune... $475 I have one they spent about 4 hours getting it right! From what I've experienced they don't rush anything they have a scheduled time and they finish when the log look right not when time is up. Maybe mine was different because Terry/Beefcake was doing it with them but I doubt it, because I spoke with Terry before about the process and they are very anal about and they want it right the 1st time. Do you know which guy it was tuning it? John, John Jr., or Ken B.? If you posted it before I'm sorry I didn't see it. It sucks that your buddy's motor blew up but I know I'm on borrowed time when I put my setup on and asked them to be conservative with my tune and so far so good. I have about 900 miles on it so far and it has run spot on but I will datalog tonight to double check things I have a big grudge match coming up!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lund is flat rate tune... $475 I have one they spent about 4 hours getting it right! From what I've experienced they don't rush anything they have a scheduled time and they finish when the log look right not when time is up. Maybe mine was different because Terry/Beefcake was doing it with them but I doubt it, because I spoke with Terry before about the process and they are very anal about and they want it right the 1st time. Do you know which guy it was tuning it? John, John Jr., or Ken B.? If you posted it before I'm sorry I didn't see it. It sucks that your buddy's motor blew up but I know I'm on borrowed time when I put my setup on and asked them to be conservative with my tune and so far so good. I have about 900 miles on it so far and it has run spot on but I will datalog tonight to double check things I have a big grudge match coming up!

$450 is remote tune pricing (just clarifying, lol)

What we do on a power adder application is load a base file. Then we datalog about 20 parameters at idle for approximately 5 minutes.

Then we do a neutral rev at 1500,2500, and 3500.

Those logs are sent to lund racing for review. A new file is sent back, the idle revs are done again, and then either on the dyno, or driving around, we vary the rpm load, again, at 1500, 2500, and 3500 rpms.

A final revision is then sent to allow the first dyno / street pull to about 5000 rpms at wot. Lund will then go in increments with revisions till we / the customer get to a final tune that lund racing is happy with.

The biggest problem you run into with customers is impatience, and going wot too early.

I cannot tell you how many customers I myself have had that don't go through the proper process.

I had one customer, that got his s/c installed, and the next day was at the dyno paying for another tune on the car because he wanted it done that day.

Then, the car had issues, he loaded the base file and throws it on the dyno for a full pull and then complains that it was lean up top. Never having sent one log, or contacting lund racing.

Then comes on forums and complains about the tune and customer service.

Lund will schedule a dyno session for tuning and we can do everything at one time. Or, you can do the tuning on the street. Typically street tuning, unless you have mobile wideband and are logging non stop. Will take a week or so of exchanging logs.

If you follow the process, things will get done in a timely manner. I, as a vendor, have to schedule just like anyone else does.

They are super busy, and that's why there is a process to follow through.

Now, can someone slip through the cracks here and there. At Lund Racing's level, no doubt. It's much easier for the one on one customer service when you tune 2 or 3 cars a week.

Anyone who has dealt with me knows I take customer service very seriously, and my phone is open to customers 9am to 10pm 7 days a week.

I use Lund Racing, because the guys at Lund Racing are the best. They have more knowledge than any tuning house out there. Period.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
to be fair, Lund probably tunes what...80% of the coyotes out there? If there was a ford manufact. problem with pistons or what ever you would see it in the larger pool of the tuner. I wonder if another tuner had that kind of volume would we ALSO see the most #8's....who knows

I also think alot of the #8 type engine problems go unsung. There are ALOT of mustang owners both tuned and NOT tuned that never go online. I have a 5.0 here now with a canned tune from a tuner that has a destroyed #8 piston. Go figure.

Chris

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
Tuning these cars is personal preference because most people daily drive their cars. With an auto I haven't been able to find a perfect tune from my driving style. I always had a problem with general driveability (upshifting or downshifting) or not fast enough. Ive had BBR, Amazon, Fastlane and AED tunes. The Amazon was a dyno and had the best driveability. I am currently running an AED tune because my car runs the fastest on it, but the driveability is lacking. I am probably going to head over to JMS or JPC for a nitrous/dyno and be done with it.

26k miles on my auto 13 cause its a daily also and have no issues of drivability, call Justin at VMP

mhyjek

Established Member
$450 is remote tune pricing (just clarifying, lol)

What we do on a power adder application is load a base file. Then we datalog about 20 parameters at idle for approximately 5 minutes.

Then we do a neutral rev at 1500,2500, and 3500.

Those logs are sent to lund racing for review. A new file is sent back, the idle revs are done again, and then either on the dyno, or driving around, we vary the rpm load, again, at 1500, 2500, and 3500 rpms.

A final revision is then sent to allow the first dyno / street pull to about 5000 rpms at wot. Lund will then go in increments with revisions till we / the customer get to a final tune that lund racing is happy with.

The biggest problem you run into with customers is impatience, and going wot too early.

I cannot tell you how many customers I myself have had that don't go through the proper process.

I had one customer, that got his s/c installed, and the next day was at the dyno paying for another tune on the car because he wanted it done that day.

Then, the car had issues, he loaded the base file and throws it on the dyno for a full pull and then complains that it was lean up top. Never having sent one log, or contacting lund racing.

Then comes on forums and complains about the tune and customer service.

Lund will schedule a dyno session for tuning and we can do everything at one time. Or, you can do the tuning on the street. Typically street tuning, unless you have mobile wideband and are logging non stop. Will take a week or so of exchanging logs.

If you follow the process, things will get done in a timely manner. I, as a vendor, have to schedule just like anyone else does.

They are super busy, and that's why there is a process to follow through.

Now, can someone slip through the cracks here and there. At Lund Racing's level, no doubt. It's much easier for the one on one customer service when you tune 2 or 3 cars a week.

Anyone who has dealt with me knows I take customer service very seriously, and my phone is open to customers 9am to 10pm 7 days a week.

I use Lund Racing, because the guys at Lund Racing are the best. They have more knowledge than any tuning house out there. Period.

Money was flying out my pocket:lol: you are correct it is $450
Money well spent thought!!!
Terry and Finishline performance treated me top notch! And people should hit him up before they buy anything:rockon:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Who is the best tuner and why? That is a really hard question to be answered. Every person has a different criteria for their vehicle and that will determine who is going to be the best tuner for him.

You will also get many differing opinions when a thread like this is posted.

And just because one specific tuner was the best choice for one person doesnt mean he will be the right choice for someone else.

That is why I always recommend talking one on one with the tuners you have narrowed it down to. Then make your decision based on those conversations.

Rick @Amazon has been EFI tuning since the late 90s. He has a diverse knowledge of tuning every Ford performance platform. There is only a handful of tuners who have as many years of tuning knowledge and expereince as Rick does.

We got our 2011 GT auto in late 2010 and Rick worked out all the auto issues with datalogs from street and dyno runs.

We insist on verifying all our remote tuning by datalogging specific parameters and AF readings.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Today I got a response from Jon Sr. After clearing the air I got a revised tune. Although He Does Not visit the site he heard about this thread.

Didn't get the chance to load it and wasnt gonna drive it in the rain (showers)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Glad you got a response op. Hope all gets fixed. Keep us updated

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Today I got a response from Jon Sr. After clearing the air I got a revised tune. Although He Does Not visit the site he heard about this thread.

Didn't get the chance to load it and wasnt gonna drive it in the rain (showers)

Glad everything worked out!

-Thomas

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I have dealt with only two tuners, Lund (Jon Sr.) and AED. I recommend them both. As everyone says Shaun is quicker with revisions but Lund hasn't been bad either. Both put a lot of time into my cars and got them running great.

I'm not sure there is any advantage at all to having a local shop tune one of these cars vs an email tune, other than having an experienced set of eyes check out your setup before trying to tune around some sort of faulty install. The datalog will be reviewed the same way whether in the same room or across the country.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have dealt with only two tuners, Lund (Jon Sr.) and AED. I recommend them both. As everyone says Shaun is quicker with revisions but Lund hasn't been bad either. Both put a lot of time into my cars and got them running great.

I'm not sure there is any advantage at all to having a local shop tune one of these cars vs an email tune, other than having an experienced set of eyes check out your setup before trying to tune around some sort of faulty install. The datalog will be reviewed the same way whether in the same room or across the country.

You are 100% correct,

A good example, I had a customer call yesterday, told me his car was running very rich, sometimes wouldnrun at all, wanted to talk to Vortech about the canned tune.

I told him based on what I'm hearing, that he blew a tube off, 15 minutes later Email saying all is good, found a tube off

Sometimes we can diagnose over the phone, sometimes we can't

Ken spent 12 hours tuning a customers car last year, never would run right

Guy finally took it to another shop, turns out the injector spacers were on the bottom instead of the top

Go figure. That's the stuff you guys don't see sometimes that gets things backed up

Patience

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Terry's "Beefcake" posts sums everything up nicely, and truthfully. Have patience with the process and your tune will be amazing. It made my GT500 run very well, even won races it shouldn't have.

Sometimes we can diagnose over the phone, sometimes we can't

Ken spent 12 hours tuning a customers car last year, never would run right

Guy finally took it to another shop, turns out the injector spacers were on the bottom instead of the top

Go figure. That's the stuff you guys don't see sometimes that gets things backed up

Patience

This is exactly what I experienced with Jon Sr. concerning my L&M throttle body. He told me to replace it with a Cobra Jet dual 65mm. That did the trick!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread