Who else is REALLY pushing their stock longblock?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Jake, is that score marks on your cylinder wall? was that from the piston expanding? or what happened there?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Im assuming so. that mark under the crack is the only one in that cylinder or in any of the cylinders. Ill get a pic of that piston in a bit

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Oh wow so that is a crack. Do you think nitrous played a big part in that? Were you running stock pistons and rings when that happened? The stock setup has very tight clearances. I wonder if that caused the piston to exert more force on the cylinder wall than it should have? Also 600 passes is nothing to sneeze at, specially judging by the pic in your sig I'd say those were not easy passes.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Oh wow so that is a crack. Do you think nitrous played a big part in that? Were you running stock pistons and rings when that happened? The stock setup has very tight clearances. I wonder if that caused the piston to exert more force on the cylinder wall than it should have? Also 600 passes is nothing to sneeze at, specially judging by the pic in your sig I'd say those were not easy passes.

100% oem longblock..never removed a valve cover

I started seeing water in the oil back in May....did not run nitrous this year until July / August

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I definitely agree that how you drive it has a lot to do with it. You could make ~5 pulls to get the tune set and then drive it back and forth to work at 55mph and theoretically it'd last forever. It's been a lot of fun seeing what we all thought to be the "limit" from when i first joined the site in '03 until now.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I definitely agree that how you drive it has a lot to do with it. You could make ~5 pulls to get the tune set and then drive it back and forth to work at 55mph and theoretically it'd last forever. It's been a lot of fun seeing what we all thought to be the "limit" from when i first joined the site in '03 until now.

deff...the way I used it deff had to do with my failure....although I never thought the block would fail since our pistons were the "weak link".

isnt there a guy with like 300k on his stock motor as a DD?

03mgtermi

Established Member
heat and friction are enemy number 1 and 2. the fact you are running a killer chiller probably saves a lot of stress on the motor. that and the NOS acts as a coolant to the intake air charge as well.

i would imagine you run a high quality oil and filter and change it frequently.

probably two huge contributors to the fact your motor is still running strong.

Users who are viewing this thread