Whipple TB 68mm DB - Fitment Issue

VNMOUS1

Established Member
The engine mounts are somewhat slotted, so loosening them and putting a jack under the oil pan (use a good sized piece of wood to spread the load) and see if you can move the engine more to the passenger side. I wouldn't expect it to move more than 1/4" depending on where it sits now, however. BJ (Vnmous1) installed a Gen 3 on his 2007. You might try reaching out to him and see if he had a similar issue. Is that TB wider than others?
Exactly the same as this.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VNMOUS1

Established Member
A look at #Christine
20180403_202339.jpg
20180403_202430.jpg
20180403_202454.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

moncho

Established Member
BJ, thank you sir for chiming in. I've been for the last 45 minutes focusing on the throttle body. The TB motor now sits lower on the Whipple 68mm dual bore. From the top view it's expected to see the motor overlapping the reservoir as Steve (@SCGallo2) provided some pics that support this. However from the side view he has a lot of room between the motor and the reservoir. Note he is using different TB with the motor located higher in the TB assembly.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Steve, I see a slight arch upwards on your inlet as it meets the TB. Mine doesn't appear to have the arch, which would possibly lower the TB motor and result in the issue I now have.

Here are better pics of the "arch" I believe you are referring to:

Whipple3.jpg

Whipple4.jpg

Here is a pic of my CJ Twin 65mm TB gear case showing a width of 1.5"

TBgearcase1.jpg

And here is a pic of how much the TB gear case and motor protrude from the S/C inlet, right at 3.25"

TBgearcase2.jpg

69b302

Established Member
It not a gen2 vs gen3 issues, it is a the difference in the different years of GT500s. My 07 is just as bad or worse, with the Gen2 2.9 and Whipple Elliptical. As other have said you can adjust the mounts and K-member to have some clearance. I have poly engine mounts, so things don't move around much.

moncho

Established Member
Steve, thanks for all the pics & the measurements you have taken. I do have the arch on the crusher inlet as you do, I've been informed that there hasn't been any change in this regard or the inlet for that matter. Now my focus has shifted some towards the brake master cylinder, reservoir & it's location on the firewall. More & more it seems to be pointing towards us '07 guys. And as 69b302 states he's had this issue all along on his '07 with his Gen2 2.9 & elliptical TB. BJ has the same on his '07 as well. The question starts to become can you live with it as 69b302 is doing. I'm going to try and pull/research some p/n's off the reservoir and the cylinder. Compare these between the '07 & '08/'09. What I can say at this time is Whipple has been supportive to this point.

moncho

Established Member
It not a gen2 vs gen3 issues, it is a the difference in the different years of GT500s. My 07 is just as bad or worse, with the Gen2 2.9 and Whipple Elliptical. As other have said you can adjust the mounts and K-member to have some clearance. I have poly engine mounts, so things don't move around much.

@69b302 Your input is really appreciated as it helps piece this puzzle & tells me that it's possible to live with this. I have a piece of masking tape between the reservoir & the TB motor. I'll look @ it after a while to see of any evidence of the 2 touching.

Thanks!

Willie

Established Member
KB recognized this issue on some of their blowers also and released an addendum. Here's a partial pic.

The new connector has three wires. The old has two. If anyone decides to go this route and pick up these replacement parts, I can describe how to wire the new connector.
KB Brake Reservoir Change.png

moncho

Established Member
Great info/tip Willie! This should help us out, going to research the parts, seems like they should fit if it's KB approved.

Here's a link for the reservoir...

5d3b0befabcda254363f24d4038d5e9a.jpg

Here's a link for the connector/wires, looks like it may have some instructions.

ced15b7fd7bfd77e580a3417d558a910.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
Glad to assist. I did this and it works. If you are careful drawing out the brake fluid and refilling, you will not need to bleed the brakes or the hydraulic clutch.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
When i swapped out the manual reservoir with the auto reservoir, I siphoned as much brake fluid as I could using a mityvac. I made a "tray" out of heavy duty aluminum foil to put under the master cylinder when I separated the reservoir from the master. Just stay away from the brake pedal while they're separated and you'll be fine. I thought using the later reservoir might be a solution, but not knowing if the diameters were the same or not, could have been a bust.

BlowerMan

Established Member
Well, I am about to be in the same boat. Is it possible to swap the sensor out of the old reservoir and keep the wiring intact with the new reservoir?

moncho

Established Member
Well, I am about to be in the same boat. Is it possible to swap the sensor out of the old reservoir and keep the wiring intact with the new reservoir?

Hopefully Willie can chime in and answer your question.

What year do you have?

What TB are you going with?

Last edited:

moncho

Established Member
Wanted to update everyone on my TB motor to reservoir clearance. To date there is no noticeable contact between the 2, as I mentioned earlier there is about a 1 millimeter clearance. I put a piece of blue masking tape & there isn't evidence of any rubbing or contact @ all. The engine seems very stable when running, although I'm in the middle of dialing in my tune I've done several WOT's. This should've more then likely shown some contact. According to @69b302 it's been that way since day 1. If @ a later point the 2 come in contact I'll go by what Willie provided. Here's a pic:

TB motor to reservoir clearance.png

Thanks!

BlowerMan

Established Member
Looks like the car side is an USCAR connector, and the new sensor is a pt-118 connector, can probably make a slick adapter without chopping up oem harness

Willie

Established Member
First of all, this connector is a low fluid warning indicator, that's all. So you really don't even need to connect it. I ran weeks without connecting it, but decided just to do it. The connector itself is integral to the reservoir, so changing it out is impossible. If you don't want to cut off the existing connector, it would be pretty simple to fab a harness to the new connector. It's only two wires.

Users who are viewing this thread