Whipple TB 68mm DB - Fitment Issue

moncho

Established Member
Background: Whipple - 2.9 G3 S/C, 123mm CAI & 68mm TB installed on my '07.

Take a look at the following pics, specifically the TB motor and it's proximity to the brake fluid reservoir....

IMG_6349.JPG

There is no more then a millimeter of clearance between the lower portion of the TB motor to the top of the reservoir. Has anyone else had this issue on a recent or past install? There's only one way these things go in so it isn't an install problem. Could Whipple have overlooked this on our '07-'09 GT500's? Did the crusher inlet change at all for the Gen 3 or their 68mm TB? I currently have both Lethal & Whipple in the loop & waiting for their response.

Here's a pic of the engine bay....

whip_29_g3.jpg

Everything is installed but haven't started it up yet. Concerned about busting the reservoir off, getting brake fluid everyway & not having brakes.

May want to hold off if thinking of going this route until this is resolved.

Hopefully someone has had this issue & chimes in.

Very disappointing....more to come.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Looks like the inlet is a lot longer.
Both my 2.9 & 3.4 had plenty of room.... )....( both had crusher inlets )
Pa._Mustang_show_313.jpg

30_day_build_update_pics_05-21-2014_007.jpg

moncho

Established Member
Yes I do see the inlet on the G3 is elongated away from the S/C more then the G2 was. It appears Whipple has made a change on the crusher inlet. Interesting enough I just got off the phone with Whipple support asking if the inlet had changed, the response I got was that the inlet didn't change. These pics say different.

Thanks Alibi for your response and the pics!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The engine mounts are somewhat slotted, so loosening them and putting a jack under the oil pan (use a good sized piece of wood to spread the load) and see if you can move the engine more to the passenger side. I wouldn't expect it to move more than 1/4" depending on where it sits now, however. BJ (Vnmous1) installed a Gen 3 on his 2007. You might try reaching out to him and see if he had a similar issue. Is that TB wider than others?

moncho

Established Member
@Streetpwr281 - I can see the elongated inlet on your Gen 3, however your brake reservoir is narrower & appears to be lower than my '07. Looks like the '13-'14's made the cut.

Thanks for chiming in.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the brake booster is different between 07-08 and 10 and up.. the early cars have a lot more going on over in that corner.
I think that's the answer. I just looked up the part numbers and 2007 and 2008 are the same, 2009 is an anomaly and 2010 to 2014 are the same. Your master cylinder reservoir looks a good bit wider than the '11 up. I wonder if the reservoir isn't offset more to center because of the a/c tubing.

moncho

Established Member
The engine mounts are somewhat slotted, so loosening them and putting a jack under the oil pan (use a good sized piece of wood to spread the load) and see if you can move the engine more to the passenger side. I wouldn't expect it to move more than 1/4" depending on where it sits now, however. BJ (Vnmous1) installed a Gen 3 on his 2007. You might try reaching out to him and see if he had a similar issue. Is that TB wider than others?

Your right BJ would be an excellent resource as he has an '07 G3.

Don't think I'll be messing with the motor mounts.

Thanks!

moncho

Established Member
Seems like they guessed that the '07-'08 would work by default as it apparently works on the later models. They should've given it more thought/research before it was released to us '07-'08 guys. The sinking feeling has already hit me on having to pull the beast out. Wonder if there's another brake reservoir that has a low profile that would work? Also, hoping for some answers from Whipple.

Thanks!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
2008 w/ Whipple 2.9 Gen2 and CJ Twin 65mm for comparison:

view2.jpg

view1.jpg

view3.jpg

Whipple2.jpg

Whipple1.jpg

Last edited:

moncho

Established Member
Nice pics Steve! Although your top view shows the motor above the reservoir the side shows a real nice clearance. I need to take a few more pics and post.

Thanks!

moncho

Established Member
Steve, I see a slight arch upwards on your inlet as it meets the TB. Mine doesn't appear to have the arch, which would possibly lower the TB motor and result in the issue I now have.

Thanks!

moncho

Established Member
Moncho do you have a bad motor mount possibly or spacers on your subframe or something along those lines ?

I'm not aware of a bad or failing motor mount. Symptom would be? The car is stock so it's unlikely that there are spacers, however I can double check. I see what your getting at though.

Thanks!

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'm not aware of a bad or failing motor mount. Symptom would be? The car is stock so it's unlikely that there are spacers, however I can double check. I see what your getting at though.

Thanks!

For sure, Just tossin out ideas pretty much. Usually the Engine rocks or doesn't sit level, not likely the case, I think our mounts are pretty stout.

I wonder if There's a reservoir that would work and give you better clearance..

Users who are viewing this thread