Whipple or kennebell ?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys.. gunna pull the trigger soon. keep the info coming! more the better
If you're staying pump and around your desired power levels...I confidently vote for the 2.3 VMP. Tons of torque, easy to work around...and won't burn a hole in your pocket fuel system wise...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info guys.. I don't have e85 close by so I'm planning on doing a return style with 93. Goal is high 600s that's why I was planning on the bigger blower.

High 600's on 93 octane is a stretch. You can find a happy dyno to hit your desired number. Won't make your car any faster though.

What's my car make? I have no idea, lol.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm planning on doing a return style with 93. Goal is high 600s that's why I was planning on the bigger blower.

Prepare your wallet for a rebuild then....these stories never end well. Countless people have stated this as "the plan".,,, and some even got there for a brief while....but 99% end up in a melted piston and few come back to update the debacle.

The true long term high 600/low 700 success stories almost always have one component in common....that's E85 as the fuel. Many, many of these aftermarket blowers will get there....few survive unless fueled by the corn.

True pump gas long term performance utilize the smaller 2.3 blowers, keep the boost 18 or less, and be happy with 600 or lower.

Good luck.

jtkz13

Established Member
Yeah I agree. Mines pushing it a little bit @ 20psi, but on hot months I'll pump a couple gallons of 110 octane to prevent any pre-detonation, and its conservative at 15* timing.

If I did anything more it'd be E85, without a doubt.

Johnferris

Established Member
Actually found a station that has e85 about 20 mins from me that I didn't know about.. might change things now.

Johnferris

Established Member
High 600's on 93 octane is a stretch. You can find a happy dyno to hit your desired number. Won't make your car any faster though.

What's my car make? I have no idea, lol.
The dyno I'm on is called the "heart breaker dyno" lol I'm never gunna see crazy numbers.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Actually found a station that has e85 about 20 mins from me that I didn't know about.. might change things now.
So many variables at play now! Lol well, now you'll need to dish out some cash for the fuel system. I would still probably recommend the 2.3 TVS with the E85 and 650-750 goals. 2.9 whipple and 2.8 Kenne bell are looking alot better for your future though with the prospect of E85.

I would order some test kits and see exactly what ethanol levels are in the E85 at that station you're talking about. I have heard that Winter-Spring-Summer batches of fuel can be different in octane.

If you decide not to go the E85 route, you could always run a methanol injection kit. To raise the octane and add a cooling effect. That way you can still have a 93 octane tune. So if you were to cruise long distances or go somewhere without E85, you've got a couple gallons of boost juice or water/methanol mix in the trunk.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
You almost legit have to start out with a power level that you want. Each blower will deliver that power to you in a different fashion depending on the fuel and boost setup. The power and fuel setup you choose with go hand in hand. Then you pick your blower. Otherwise...You'll chase your tail in circles and have blood on your hands as all the TVS, KB and whipple guys go at each other's throats for the rest of the thread. They're all great blowers and all serve their purpose to cater to whatever power range, look and budget you have.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I agree. Mines pushing it a little bit @ 20psi, but on hot months I'll pump a couple gallons of 110 octane to prevent any pre-detonation, and its conservative at 15* timing.

If I did anything more it'd be E85, without a doubt.
No one ever tests 93 octane. A bad batch of fuel can be catastrophic to a motor. I travel 25 miles one way to fill up my VP racing jugs with ethanol. I test it every time to decide if I run my e70 or e85 tune.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
No one ever tests 93 octane. A bad batch of fuel can be catastrophic to a motor. I travel 25 miles one way to fill up my VP racing jugs with ethanol. I test it every time to decide if I run my e70 or e85 tune.

Has there ever been a variation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
What do you do if it tests e78? :p

If you don't daily drive it dealing with the hassle of getting e85 is worth it. I have a 55 gallon drum in my garage that I fill up and run out of. The nearest e85 station is 25 miles over in a bigger city. Whenever im in the area I fill up my gas cans and then fill up my barrel at home. Only once have I ever ran my barrel dry and it was no big deal to load it in the back of the truck to fill it up.

Its worth the effort to gain the power, reduce the chance of engine damage and to get the sweet smell lol.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
If you don't daily drive it dealing with the hassle of getting e85 is worth it.

This is solid advice. It will get old very fast trying to schedule your life and priorities around a few scarce E85 pumps. If you daily Drive the vehicle I would recommend looking into methanol injection. You are still taking advantage of some of the cooling effects, you're raising your octane, and you can set it to operate only when under wide open throttle. That way you don't have to go to the pump and test your ethanol levels every time you want to fill... you can just order pre-mixed methanol and have it show up on your doorstep.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you do if it tests e78? :p

If you don't daily drive it dealing with the hassle of getting e85 is worth it. I have a 55 gallon drum in my garage that I fill up and run out of. The nearest e85 station is 25 miles over in a bigger city. Whenever im in the area I fill up my gas cans and then fill up my barrel at home. Only once have I ever ran my barrel dry and it was no big deal to load it in the back of the truck to fill it up.

Its worth the effort to gain the power, reduce the chance of engine damage and to get the sweet smell lol.
If it's e78 I run the e85 tune and it's just a touch rich, no big deal.

Roy, yes I've had a variation. But it's usually only when switching from winter blend (e70) to summer blend e85. Generally between May 15th to June 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread