Whipple Gen1 Versus Gen 2

gt40racing

Established Member
Okay I got a chance to pick up a Gen1 polished whipple for $2400.00. Give me the pros and cons on this purchase. What is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2.:shrug:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Pretty much sums it up in English. If you want the same hp as a newer one add 1 lb of boost maybe. That sounds like a super deal! I got a buddy with a Gen 1 that makes like 630/630 on 22lbs of boost. So I'd say they'll hold their own. Actually it's the Torch Red car in this months Modified Mustangs & Fords.

mach1033

Established Member
You will be fine. Spin it to 21lbs with all the supporting mods and you will have more power than you know what do with for the street!!!!

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Okay I got a chance to pick up a Gen1 polished whipple for $2400.00. Give me the pros and cons on this purchase. What is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2.:shrug:
gen 1 is the way to go

Gen II makes a few more ponies and a little more boost per pulley ratio. . .
Thats def not true! i had the gen 2 and my friend has a gen 1 and he walked me, the gen 1s were perfect and didnt need to be redesigned and the iats run real hot in the upper boost on the gen2 and the more you spin the worse they get out of the efficiency range , i had mine for 3 months and went to a kb 2.8h i was so dissapointed, i like my ported heaton better, snatch that gen 1 up asap! congrats:beer:

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
Nothing. I got the Gen 1 and no problems with it running strong on 22lbs

gt40racing

Established Member
I got the Gen 1 home and I am feeling good about this purchase!

052009_17271.jpg

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
gen 1 is the way to go

Thats def not true! i had the gen 2 and my friend has a gen 1 and he walked me, the gen 1s were perfect and didnt need to be redesigned and the iats run real hot in the upper boost on the gen2 and the more you spin the worse they get out of the efficiency range , i had mine for 3 months and went to a kb 2.8h i was so dissapointed, i like my ported heaton better, snatch that gen 1 up asap! congrats:beer:

Anyone know if that is true? Interesting information . . . .

I'd like to know this. :read:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have a Gen II and since I've never had a Gen I, I can't really attest to the differences. I like my blower and have not experienced any issues with high IAT2 temps. I data log it on a regular basis and rarely see anything over 120*. I have a 3.1" pulley on it and see about 18 lbs of boost. I paid $2700 for my blower, it was brand new, but I got it from someone that bought it and never installed it.
With that being said, you can't go wrong with the deal you got. $2400 for the polished blower and TB is a steal. Bolt it on and you'll never know the difference.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
gen 1 is the way to go

Now that's a bold statement without showing proof.

You just made the best purchase for your car. 04Sleeper did some data logging on both the Gen I and II and saw little to no difference in IAT's. :thumbsup:

Really? Got a link to it or any graphs?

mach1033

Established Member
To clear up what some were saying about high iat's. Difeo Ford had " Difeo Day" at Englishtown's Raceway Park last year. For some strange reason the Cobra's that had Gen 2 Whipple's running over 20lbs of boost were seeing very high iat's. It didn't matter if they iced it down or put ice in the IC. The one's that had the Gen 1's had no issues at all with high iat's. The crew at Difeo moved there shop to Sansone Ford and maybe if Travis see's this thread he can give you actual number's because at the time he had the Gen 2 whipple. On a side note he lost the grudge race there and had to wear a tutu lol.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Really? Got a link to it or any graphs?
Brian, I will have to dig the up.

"Xtremejc" on here has he 2nd W2300AX ever produced for the 03-04 Cobras and I have a Gen1 and I have datalogged a hand full of Gen2's. I have noticed no notable difference between any of them to be honest.

All of them keep IAT 2's about 30-40 degrees over ambient MAX.

The only real difference I have seen is that the Gen2's have a different pulley ratio than the Gen1's and W2300AX's which helps with better belt wrap.

They all basically make the same power when set at the same boost levels.

The main reason Whipple switched was because they wanted to start making their own rotors instead of having to source them from Lysholm.

Lysholm still makes the w2300's.
Lysholm Technologies AB

It's what Vortech is now selling under their name, but in reality it's still the same old blower.

Whipple saved some money by producing their own rotors now and they also went to a cheaper cast aluminum discharge plate. The w2300's had a machined billet aluminum discharge plate and the Lysholm rotors.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Excellent info Sleeper.

Sounds like OP got a very nice blower for a fair price. I'm a little leary of used twin screws, although VERY seldom has there been reported issues from the 2nd owners.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
gen 1 is the way to go

:shrug:
Did your friends car weigh the same, have the same mods, produce the same power?

I read about the "supposed" inefficiency of the gen 2 Whipples. However, the case as I recall was in a very high boost car.

I run my gen 2 Whipple at 15 psi and it runs cooler than my Eaton did and I have datalogged my car LOTS. In fact, I constantly monitor IAT2's on my Aeroforce and this parameter is always scanning. I can say in my case the IAT2's are great.

QUICKRNU

Established Member
Thats a ggod price on the gen 1 polished. With the proper cooling mods: aftermarket heat exchanger, vortech reservior, & the proper tune you will be fine with either one. My Gen 2 made 665/641 at 20 lbs. This was on the 4th pull with 20 min cool downs. I haven't seen worse than 120 iat's on the street. Clean your intercooler good before u put the whipple on. Some guys forget 2. You should make 600+ which is plenty for the street. Have fun with it...

Users who are viewing this thread