Whipple Gen1 Versus Gen 2

Silverboost

Established Member
gen 1 is the way to go

Thats def not true! i had the gen 2 and my friend has a gen 1 and he walked me, the gen 1s were perfect and didnt need to be redesigned and the iats run real hot in the upper boost on the gen2 and the more you spin the worse they get out of the efficiency range , i had mine for 3 months and went to a kb 2.8h i was so dissapointed, i like my ported heaton better, snatch that gen 1 up asap! congrats:beer:

Didn't you make a post a couple of months ago saying you regretted getting rid of your Whipple for the KB 2.8? I guess you must be back on the KB wagon this month since your new inlet has made you happy again. I have the Gen II whipple and I have no issues at all with IAT2's.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase!:thumbsup:

You can't go wrong with a Whipple, regardless of the generation. Here's a pic of mine beside my old polished Eaton...

2375589StiegemeierandWhipple1.jpg

04Sonic

Established Member
You are going to have higher Iat's with a Gen 2, it makes 1.5-2psi more with the same pulley combo, more boost, more heat simple. I have spoke to Art Whipple about this, over 20psi go 3.4. Yes you can spin them at 21-22psi but you need good fuel and need to keepa eye on Iats.

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
gen 1 is the way to go

Thats def not true! i had the gen 2 and my friend has a gen 1 and he walked me, the gen 1s were perfect and didnt need to be redesigned and the iats run real hot in the upper boost on the gen2 and the more you spin the worse they get out of the efficiency range , i had mine for 3 months and went to a kb 2.8h i was so dissapointed, i like my ported heaton better, snatch that gen 1 up asap! congrats :beer:

Wow. . . that is def the most accurate way to compare them . . . :kaboom:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Brian, I will have to dig the up.

"Xtremejc" on here has he 2nd W2300AX ever produced for the 03-04 Cobras and I have a Gen1 and I have datalogged a hand full of Gen2's. I have noticed no notable difference between any of them to be honest.

All of them keep IAT 2's about 30-40 degrees over ambient MAX.

The only real difference I have seen is that the Gen2's have a different pulley ratio than the Gen1's and W2300AX's which helps with better belt wrap.

They all basically make the same power when set at the same boost levels.

The main reason Whipple switched was because they wanted to start making their own rotors instead of having to source them from Lysholm.

Lysholm still makes the w2300's.
Lysholm Technologies AB

It's what Vortech is now selling under their name, but in reality it's still the same old blower.

Whipple saved some money by producing their own rotors now and they also went to a cheaper cast aluminum discharge plate. The w2300's had a machined billet aluminum discharge plate and the Lysholm rotors.

Hope this helps.
Great post bud. I wish all the people looking at my 7K mile W2300AX would read this. Vortech uses the same blower in their kits. What Whipple did was a cost cutting move and then marketed them (W140) as a huge improvement to boost sales. I really am debating the sale of mine but I want a set of TF Chicanes and have my first kid on the way so I have to chose one. :bash:

Not to mention the Lysholm W2300AX is the OEM blower on the Ford GT and they also supply Mercedes Benz with all of the blowers for their AMG cars including the Mclaren SLR.

Last edited:

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Wow. . . that is def the most accurate way to compare them . . . :kaboom:

To clarify as 04 -sonic said as he has datalogging from track day as he also dropped his gen 2 for a kb. and not to beat a dead horse over and over the gen 2s were hotter, and i had same exact mods as my friend except for the gen 1 and gen 2 how much more accurate can there be a comparison?:shrug: The iats didnt lie. Overa ll they are both great blowers, but the gen 1 seems to shine a lot better and as my friend has walked several other gen 2s thats all.

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
To clarify as 04 -sonic said as he has datalogging from track day as he also dropped his gen 2 for a kb. and not to beat a dead horse over and over the gen 2s were hotter, and i had same exact mods as my friend except for the gen 1 and gen 2 how much more accurate can there be a comparison?:shrug: The iats didnt lie. Overa ll they are both great blowers, but the gen 1 seems to shine a lot better and as my friend has walked several other gen 2s thats all.

Buddy with the little whipple even walked that bigger cooler KB also didn't he?

04Sonic

Established Member
I wanted to run 21-23psi and my Gen 2 was seeing 170 Iat's out the big so I decided on the 2.8H and now run 21psi at 135-140 Iat's.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Buddy with the little whipple even walked that bigger cooler KB also didn't he?

no the little buddy didnt since the other guy was running no coolant in his reservoir and they wer side by side with alot of traffic and the bigger blower didnt get into the sweet spot yet, but thanks for insight lol ::nono:

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
no the little buddy didnt since the other guy was running no coolant in his reservoir and they wer side by side with alot of traffic and the bigger blower didnt get into the sweet spot yet, but thanks for insight lol ::nono:

Just got to keep you in check with reality. Your welcome.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread