Whipple 2.9 time....oh yesss!

forcefedcobra

Established Member
his is mounted to a bracket that is mounted onto the cam cover. You can see it in a few pics throughout this thread. I made a bracket and mounted mine directly to the side of the 2.9.

You can see it a little here.
ba7437f7.jpg

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Oh excellent. Did you just fab one out of aluminum or something? I like the placement there and would like to copy.

Alex

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Oh excellent. Did you just fab one out of aluminum or something? I like the placement there and would like to copy.

Alex

When I get back to the house I'll PM you the picture of the template I used to fab it up. Just used some scrap aluminum from my friends radiator shop and then painted it flat black with some acid etch primer.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Hey erik, Maybe I missed it but how do you have your regulator mounted?

Alex

alex, fabbed my own bracket.....

DSCN5537.jpg

his is mounted to a bracket that is mounted onto the cam cover. You can see it in a few pics throughout this thread. I made a bracket and mounted mine directly to the side of the 2.9.

You can see it a little here.
ba7437f7.jpg

for TCBs sake clean that engine!

Love the build...
Is that a stock idler I see?

he has a BF idler....its just a little wore out

forcefedcobra

Established Member
alex, fabbed my own bracket.....

DSCN5537.jpg

for TCBs sake clean that engine!

he has a BF idler....its just a little wore out

engine is just a little dusty from sitting in the garage all winter. If I can ever get a day off when its not raining I'll detail it up a little.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Erik, is yours the same bracket as brandon's? I need to fab something up like that when i get the new whipple and fuel system. I like its position

04torchred

Established Member
BG heat sinks!! Hmmmm....anybody have any experience with these?

http://www.barrygrant.com/fromBarryGrant/BG Instructions/BGHeatSink-178002.pdf

So, I am fairly sold on the Magnafuel 4101. I will NOT be running a pump controller, as I do NOT want to mess around with voltage to this pump. I will still stabilize voltage at 13.5V using my BAP inline. It is a continuous duty pump. However, I do want to mechanically cool the fuel. I will definently be going with a fuel cooler of some sort, either the radiator style that Glenns offers or other versions (will run in the return line).

Found this BG heat sink last night in my researching.....however the EFI diagram 3 shows running the cooler after the flow thru pump.....i really dont think i want to do this in the feed line....primary focus for me will be cooling the fuel after it leaves the hot rails and heads back to the tank via the return line.

I would run the cooler that Glenns has or a style like that Erik. You should speak with Glenn and ask him where he recommends putting the cooler for optimal fuel temps if you really think its needed. It might be best on the feed line so its the coolest going into the motor.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I would run the cooler that Glenns has or a style like that Erik. You should speak with Glenn and ask him where he recommends putting the cooler for optimal fuel temps if you really think its needed. It might be best on the feed line so its the coolest going into the motor.

I talked to Glenn about it last week. I have already decided to install it in the airstream in front of radiator. However, my plan was to focus on cooling the return line, after fuel leaves the hot rails. I really dont feel comfortable adding any restrictions into the feed line....plus cooling the return fuel cools the tank, then obviously the pump stays cooler sucking cooler fuel from tank.

Cooling the feed line is somewhat pointless to me.....cool fuel going to hot rails will still pick up engine heat and go back to tank. I feel like focusing on cooling the return line is where my efforts are best focused.

04torchred

Established Member
I talked to Glenn about it last week. I have already decided to install it in the airstream in front of radiator. However, my plan was to focus on cooling the return line, after fuel leaves the hot rails. I really dont feel comfortable adding any restrictions into the feed line....plus cooling the return fuel cools the tank, then obviously the pump stays cooler sucking cooler fuel from tank.

Cooling the feed line is somewhat pointless to me.....cool fuel going to hot rails will still pick up engine heat and go back to tank. I feel like focusing on cooling the return line is where my efforts are best focused.

That is true and hopefully the pump should heat the fuel less then it being in the rails. You can probably still have all the lines going the same way you do now just instead of running back to the tank first when it goes back in the passenger fender just have the line run out to the rad area then loop back and run to the tank.

It would be interesting to know how hot the fuel gets over a long drive, you have way warmer ambient temps then I do.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
That is true and hopefully the pump should heat the fuel less then it being in the rails. You can probably still have all the lines going the same way you do now just instead of running back to the tank first when it goes back in the passenger fender just have the line run out to the rad area then loop back and run to the tank.

It would be interesting to know how hot the fuel gets over a long drive, you have way warmer ambient temps then I do.

All I know is that the fuel rails get extremely hot......and that any cooling of the fuel in the feed line will not benefit the return to the tank at all. Best to focus on cooling the return to tank.....Glenn also recommended this.

He said they generally install the fuel coolers in the fender well....however i made room for it in front of radiator.....where it will always have alot of flowing air thru it.

I might run a heat sink in the feed line.....and the radiator style cooler in return line.

04torchred

Established Member
All I know is that the fuel rails get extremely hot......and that any cooling of the fuel in the feed line will not benefit the return to the tank at all. Best to focus on cooling the return to tank.....Glenn also recommended this.

He said they generally install the fuel coolers in the fender well....however i made room for it in front of radiator.....where it will always have alot of flowing air thru it.

I might run a heat sink in the feed line.....and the radiator style cooler in return line.

I am more seeing your point to wanting to cool on the return line now. I wouldn't bother with a heat sink on the feed line seems like a waste of effort. More benefit in terms of dropping the fuel temp by cooling after it seems.

It would be interesting to see how much heat is picked up in the rails. If its lots I might even be game for a cooler, but I have been fine and ran good without one.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I am more seeing your point to wanting to cool on the return line now. I wouldn't bother with a heat sink on the feed line seems like a waste of effort. More benefit in terms of dropping the fuel temp by cooling after it seems.

It would be interesting to see how much heat is picked up in the rails. If its lots I might even be game for a cooler, but I have been fine and ran good without one.

I think a cooler would benefit anyone, but especially those running big external pumps. Im already running e85....which runs cool already, but definently cannot hurt cooling it off further to help the external pump.

So today i ordered the following:

- glenns performance sumped tank, -12 feed / -10 return in Stainless Steel option
- glenns tank cover, cut to their sump spec
- glenns stainless steel tank straps
- glenns fuel cooler (not the whole kit, just the cooler)

I am still racking my brain on external pump setup....Glenn swears that with cooler the eliminator is the way to go, and it is $200 cheaper ($499) versus the magnafuel MP-4101 (can get it for $ 699, retail like 750).

I do want the weldon 2345, but cannot pinch of $1100...plain and simple.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Lots of good info here

yeah this thread has turned into much more than just the 2.9 topic.

I think i need to get a moderator to change the name of this thread from "2.9 whipple.....oh yesss" to " Everything you ever wanted to know about tearing down a perfectly good cobra" or "how to drop every last penny to modify a perfectly good cobra"

04torchred

Established Member
I think a cooler would benefit anyone, but especially those running big external pumps. Im already running e85....which runs cool already, but definently cannot hurt cooling it off further to help the external pump.

So today i ordered the following:

- glenns performance sumped tank, -12 feed / -10 return in Stainless Steel option
- glenns tank cover, cut to their sump spec
- glenns stainless steel tank straps
- glenns fuel cooler (not the whole kit, just the cooler)

I am still racking my brain on external pump setup....Glenn swears that with cooler the eliminator is the way to go, and it is $200 cheaper ($499) versus the magnafuel MP-4101 (can get it for $ 699, retail like 750).

I do want the weldon 2345, but cannot pinch of $1100...plain and simple.

If you are considering the Eliminator talk to Tony (BLK_03) he has put a lot of miles on that setup and will tell you an honest opinion. I know he had issues with the pump heating up and losing pressure, but that might be fixed.

I would say go Magnafuel if you don't want a multi pump external setup. The weldon is over priced I think, they are nice, but not $500 nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread