Which tires are the best for overall traction?

Which are the best for overall traction?

• BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD

Votes: 48 13.0%
  • BF Goodrich g-force T/A KDW

Votes: 56 15.2%
  • Michelin Pilot Sport

Votes: 32 8.7%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 64 17.4%
  • Nitto 555R II

Votes: 40 10.9%
  • Nitto 555R

Votes: 128 34.8%

• Total voters

TRBO VNM

3Pete said:
GS-D3's are LARGE tires. 315/35/17 will only fit on 17x10.5 or 17x11 inch. The 17x10.5's will require a spacer. The Largest tire that will fit on a 17x9 factory rim is 285/40/17, the exception being 315/35/17 Nitto 555R Drag Radials.

actually, this is partly incorrect. I have the BFG DR's in 315 on stock rims. with the car jacked up they rub the IRS bolt, with the car on the ground they have no rubbing at all. And provide very good rim protection. I have also pulled 1.5x shorts with them.

Bingo13

Established Member
Snake40 said:
I am trying to decide between BFG TAKD, Goodyear GSD3's, and Kumho Ecsta MX KV15,
they all have good ratings , the Kumhos are priced good compared to the BFG's. I havent priced GSD3's. Any input ???

Do you plan on driving in the rain or are you willing to sacrifice some wet weather performance for dry traction?

Snake40

Established Member
Bingo13 said:
Do you plan on driving in the rain or are you willing to sacrifice some wet weather performance for dry traction?
Car never sees rain, it is my weekend car, I would like the best straightline traction I can get without sacrificing the handling in the twisties. I have no traction in 1st or 2nd now. Thanks for your interest Mike

jeb

Established Member
go with nitto dr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i love mine and i have no problem with tire slippage in 1st and 2nd!i am around 450-475 rwhp!and i know i will get at least 7k miles out of these tires.great mod!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BMF281

Established Member
I have tried BFG Drags, Nitto Drags, Yokahamas, and now Goodyear GSD3s. I would say if you want maximum dry traction go with the BFG or even the MT drags, they only make it up to 275, but it will fit a 17x10.5 rim just fine. The Nittos in my opinion are total crap. They suck in the dry, and are equally as bad in the rain. I have 4:30 gears in a slightly modded Mach 1 and they just cannot hold. THe BFGs on the other hand broke my axles and have led me to many 1.760s which is actually pretty bad for that tire. I just recently put on the Good years and I can say its a really smooth ride and the dry traction is excelent. They actually grip better than my old nittos did. I would recommend them for any daily driver. This is my .02 worth and I really put those tires through hell so it says alot.

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
Well I love my gsd-3s I had them on my roush and now on the cobra. Nothing compares to it for wet weather traction and its awsome in the dry. Its a bit pricey and there usauly on national back order from some many people buying them.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
I have the BFG G-force T\A's in 295 on the back on a 18 x 10 rim and they grip pretty darn good in my opinion. Car doesnt brake loose at all like it used to with the stock rubber.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
I have used all of those tires.....And my fav by far are the M/T DR'S!! I know you don't have them listed....but just another option! :beer:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03s are at the top of the list. If wet traction ranks tops on the list, that's your tire my friend.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
If you have the stock rim and run the 555r's on the rear, what should you run on the front?

ShaneN.

Established Member
315s fit on the stock 9" rim? it doesn't matter if they are 555 or 555r's right?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
These cars demand DR's if you want to get into it on the street! I just switched from 315 BFG's to Michelin Pilot Sport street tires (335's) and I break the damn car loose in every gear. It's not fun to say the least. I should've just kept the DR's on. If you don't drive the car in the rain or daily drive it then DR's is the only way to go IMO.

DocSVT

Established Member
Got about 6K miles on my KDW's and they are about toast. No traction in 1st or 2ed gear. Are any non Drag Radials even close to the traction of a DR? I am looking for a set of non Drag Radial tires that fit on the stock wheels (stock size alowing rotation and dealer friendly), that hook better than the KDW's. I was looking at KD's or the GS-D3's, or maybe another set of rear wheels and DR are the only real option.

Last edited:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
These cars demand DR's if you want to get into it on the street! I just switched from 315 BFG's to Michelin Pilot Sport street tires (335's) and I break the damn car loose in every gear. It's not fun to say the least. I should've just kept the DR's on. If you don't drive the car in the rain or daily drive it then DR's is the only way to go IMO.
What DR's did you have?

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
If your looking to eliminate the hop, swapping tires isn't going to end your problem, especially if your going to up your HP. So far I've added whats in my sig and still no hope for no hop! Slowly but surely I'll end up eating the whole "RED PILL" (or is it the blue one) one piece at a time.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
If your looking to eliminate the hop, swapping tires isn't going to end your problem, especially if your going to up your HP. So far I've added whats in my sig and still no hope for no hop! Slowly but surely I'll end up eating the whole "RED PILL" (or is it the blue one) one piece at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread