Which tires are the best for overall traction?

Which are the best for overall traction?

• BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD

Votes: 48 13.0%
  • BF Goodrich g-force T/A KDW

Votes: 56 15.2%
  • Michelin Pilot Sport

Votes: 32 8.7%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 64 17.4%
  • Nitto 555R II

Votes: 40 10.9%
  • Nitto 555R

Votes: 128 34.8%

• Total voters

Redfire03

Established Member
Why do you say they are garbage? I'm j/w because tires that are that size are alot of money, and i want to know what the best tire for 95% street use and 5% strip tire would be.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Because they were a lot of money and had no traction at all when I laid down the hammer. They lasted a long time but that's because they had hard rubber, not good for racing. IMO the best tire for you would be nitto's. They are a good all around tire.

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
tires

I run Avon TechR Dot Road Race Slicks at open track events. I used to have the nitto 555Rll's as a backup for the street. The first time I came back from the track and put on the nitto's It felt like the tires were way under inflated. Since then I just run the Avon's on the street. I do, however make sure the rain isn't in the forcast. The car just feels 500 pounds lighter with the slicks.

BOOSTER03

Established Member
Long lasting question........I recently had ordered 285/40/17 KDW and they accidentally put on 285/40/17 KDWS (I had Nitto 555zrs) I will tell you, I am very impressed with the kdws......I know it will never snow in South Florida, but these things hook up very well, hardly any wheel hop, and they are awesome in the rain...I feel comfortable running 80mph on the highway in medium rain

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
BMF281 said:
I have tried BFG Drags, Nitto Drags, Yokahamas, and now Goodyear GSD3s. I would say if you want maximum dry traction go with the BFG or even the MT drags, they only make it up to 275, but it will fit a 17x10.5 rim just fine. The Nittos in my opinion are total crap. They suck in the dry, and are equally as bad in the rain. I have 4:30 gears in a slightly modded Mach 1 and they just cannot hold. THe BFGs on the other hand broke my axles and have led me to many 1.760s which is actually pretty bad for that tire. I just recently put on the Good years and I can say its a really smooth ride and the dry traction is excelent. They actually grip better than my old nittos did. I would recommend them for any daily driver. This is my .02 worth and I really put those tires through hell so it says alot.

Ditto on the Goodyears!

ib_604

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Bridgestone Potenza S-03s are at the top of the list. If wet traction ranks tops on the list, that's your tire my friend.

:thumbsup:

indeed, got these tires for my 19's and they are sweeeeet.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
So what is the biggest size tire I can fit on a 18X10" rim without having to use spacers? Looking at getting some FR500's deepdish and I'm not going with a DR tire so the 17X10.5 is not an option.
Thanks,

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
NIELSTTCOBRA said:
i've owned both nitto dr's and bfg dr's and let me tell ya... nitto don't hold a candle to how well bfg drs grip... PERIOD!!!

Ditto...I have Nittos now and they flat out suck!!!! I feel like I was ripped off with these tires. BFG hooked !!

ib_604

Established Member
04SilverSerpent said:
So what is the biggest size tire I can fit on a 18X10" rim without having to use spacers? Looking at getting some FR500's deepdish and I'm not going with a DR tire so the 17X10.5 is not an option.
Thanks,

i may be wrong, but i thought the use of spacers depended also on the rim. because if anything doesn't clear it would be the rim? i dunno...

but i am running 19x9.5 on mine at the rear with 285's....you could probably do 295 no problem

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial
315/35R-17 102V

How many miles can we get out of these without heat cycling them on a 450rwhp car? Can we get 7-10k miles???

Website states around 15,000 miles... I have over 7k on mine...

FYI, I don't really care for these tires, I have 492hp and they don't hook up that great... I haven't tried anything else yet..but have heard BFG or MT are the best, plus they eliminate most wheel hop...

venmos1

Established Member
anyone have the Toyo Proxes T1R? how are they for overall daily driving? wet and dry traction etc? looking for a good dd tire. any input would be greatly appreciated.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
phillySVT said:
Ditto...I have Nittos now and they flat out suck!!!! I feel like I was ripped off with these tires. BFG hooked !!

BFG's (which I have on my car no out back, DR's) hook great, but handle for shit, the rear ends all over the place when changing lanes on the highway at speed. If you want an all around street tire go for the Nittos. To drive ti the track and put up a decent time, BFG's DR's.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I currently have the Goodyear GS-D3 and love them but have not found them under $200 ea. I ran across the Car and Driver tire test...http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html Very good artical. They rate the GS-D3 First place! So if you want professional opinion, Car and Driver put these tires to the test side by side. So my vote is the GS-D3's. The Pilot and Yok's where in second and third place but still $$$ Then there is Hankook I looked on there web site and they have a DR the RSS-Z211Anyone running this tire? http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_race_detail.asp?pid=57 Or the Sport K104 or HRII H405? These are the only ones we can get in a 275/40/17...opinions?

svt99rag

Established Member
BFG G-Force KD's FTW (if your not running in the rain, KDW's are better for rain).......I had them and they were the next best thing to DR's. I have heard many compliants on nittos but never personally had them, but I have had the Goodyears and they were absolutly horrible.

Last edited:

todamnfast2

todamnfast2
What width are stock 03 cobra rims & where could I get larger rear rims that would mach the front ? Also what the most extreme difference anyone would go in front & rear tires 4 street driving ?

Users who are viewing this thread