Which throttle body to put on

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Don't fall for the hype. From everything I have seen there is no power difference between a 65mm and 67mm. I have the 67mm and make nearly identical power to those with the 65mm.

1+++
I did a test on a dyno with the dual 67 and just picked up 3hp and lost 8 lbs. The 168 KB has to make a change both the 65 & 67 almost fit inside of it...LOL.

Manuel

mullens

Established Member
Just tonight I just installed the frpp res delete. Airaid filter and ford 65mm throttle body. No tuner.

I dynod this on my dynojet Dyno

Stock was 579
Frpp and afraid filter was 604
Frpp, airaid, ford 65mm was 633.

Now adding a proper tune would net quite a bit more I'm sure. I just wanted to see how it would perform with simply bolting on the parts.

Only issue is Its a 2013 gt500 convertible and Dyno run in 4 gear will shut me down at 6300 rpm at 155 mph So there may be a few more hiding once the tuner goes on and I can pull to 7000 in 4 gear.

It runs perfect. No issues at all. Air fuel is too rich at 10.5-10.8 with the stock tune. I can tell the torque picked up from 2000-4000 range.

I have a sct x4 tuner and this coming week will be installing
Lethal Off road h
Ati 10% lower
K100852hd belt
JLT carbon cold air
170* thermostat
John Lund tune.

Hoping to see over 700 at the tires.

Wow 25hp with just a filter and delete. Impressive.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Wow 25hp with just a filter and delete. Impressive.

I thought so too!! Just look at the stock filter and the mesh behind it. Plus the rezzy muffler on the intake has to be killing it.

Now I also have the JLT 127 carbon as well. (New style not with the sticker). I may bolt that on with no tune just to see what happens.

For the 110.00 on those 2 mods it was definetly a nice bang for the buck.

I'd like to see the JLT come up with anther 10-15 hp. I'm not sure though?

I'm not loading the tune for increase boost and no cats on a basically stock machine. Ill wait and do it right. Then see what's up.

If this forum would let me post pics and not fail the upload I'd post the charts.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not loading the tune for increase boost and no cats on a basically stock machine. Ill wait and do it right. Then see what's up.

If this forum would let me post pics and not fail the upload I'd post the charts.
You may be correct because of the cats, but Lund loaded my tune with the car 100% stock otherwise and I was told it was ready to accept the mods I have planned (similar to yours).
So, you may be able to contact Lund and use your tune now as is.
I drove with a tune only, no other changes for a few months before swapping on drag radials and 4.10s.
-J

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Don't fall for the hype. From everything I have seen there is no power difference between a 65mm and 67mm. I have the 67mm and make nearly identical power to those with the 65mm.

Not only that but the 67mm is as bit more expensive than the 65mm plus you get to keep the Ford warranty intact with the FRRP without a tune.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Appreciate the info. V Force, I'm stunned. Res. Delete / Airaid Filter. A 25 Rwhp increase for under $ 125.00, DIY in 15 minutes. stock driveability, and warranty in force, it even looks better... Unbelieveable..

A couple of questions:
Torque numbers???
SAE, smoothing 5 numbers??
Did you chart Boost??
Great safe A/F
I also have trouble posting pictures, someone can lend a hand there. Would really like to see the Dyno sheets..

Thanx!!

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
I thought so too!! Just look at the stock filter and the mesh behind it. Plus the rezzy muffler on the intake has to be killing it.

Now I also have the JLT 127 carbon as well. (New style not with the sticker). I may bolt that on with no tune just to see what happens.

For the 110.00 on those 2 mods it was definetly a nice bang for the buck.

I'd like to see the JLT come up with anther 10-15 hp. I'm not sure though?

John I wouldn't run the 127 without a tune. Pretty sure changing the MAF requires it.

LT5

Established Member
Not only that but the 67mm is as bit more expensive than the 65mm plus you get to keep the Ford warranty intact with the FRRP without a tune.

Just curious as to where is it written that installing the FRPP TB won't void the powertrain warranty ?

Searched the Ford Racing site and found the following: FRPP states the 65mm throttlebody requires a tune. The part is not street legal and for off-highway use only. If installed it could void the vehicle warranty. Read pages 299-305 of the new catalog for all the legal speak. Certainly enough ammo for a dealer to piss and moan about warranty work.

Just curious...

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Just curious as to where is it written that installing the FRPP TB won't void the powertrain warranty ?

Searched the Ford Racing site and found the following: FRPP states the 65mm throttlebody requires a tune. The part is not street legal and for off-highway use only. If installed it could void the vehicle warranty. Read pages 299-305 of the new catalog for all the legal speak. Certainly enough ammo for a dealer to piss and moan about warranty work.

Just curious...

The twin 65 can be run w/ out a tune, the tune is what would void the warranty.

LT5

Established Member
The twin 65 can be run w/ out a tune, the tune is what would void the warranty.
I agree about running without a tune . But that's not the point.

The 65mm TB is considered an aftermarket part and could void your warranty.
My point is folks are assuming because the part is sold by FRPP its a factory part.. Wrong.. Read the fine print....Page 305 of the 2014 catalog.

Btw. I run the VMP 67mm . Quality piece.

mullens

Established Member

My point is folks are assuming because the part is sold by FRPP its a factory part.. Wrong.. Read the fine print....Page 305 of the 2014 catalog.

Correct. Technically an a-hole dealer could void any repair for an FRPP part. They are considered aftermarket, plain and simple. That being said, it's highly unlikely. As stated above, a tune is most likely to give you warranty woes.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

If you don't tune the TB you can always swap back to stock should you need to have any warranty work done.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run the BPS 73 up from a CJ 63.5. Def made a difference. I had to get tuned for it, because I switched out from a VMP TVS case to a Trinity and the flow was much more than the tune could handle. The TB is a very nice piece and I have been driving my car to see how well the BPS piece performs. In truth my car drives just as it did with the CJ, but there is a true difference when I hit the go pedal. I will be going to the track tonight, and that should show me the true gains of the TB swap and Elbow.

Last edited:

1FASFKR

Established Member
Appreciate the info. V Force, I'm stunned. Res. Delete / Airaid Filter. A 25 Rwhp increase for under $ 125.00, DIY in 15 minutes. stock driveability, and warranty in force, it even looks better... Unbelieveable..

A couple of questions:
Torque numbers???
SAE, smoothing 5 numbers??
Did you chart Boost??
Great safe A/F
I also have trouble posting pictures, someone can lend a hand there. Would really like to see the Dyno sheets..

Thanx!!

Interested in V Force's response to this as well.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread