Which setup would yield higher rwhp/tq? Discussion welcomed!

danterakin

Established Member
A friend and I with similar builds are constantly bashing each other about our builds and I want to hear it from you guys. The biggest arguing point is based on the choice of Intake and the Tuner. Which setup should yield more power? Does the BBK intake have a huge power loss downside? Does the BAMA tune hurt the true power that can be achieved?
I won't tell you what build I got so it's not biased but here are the builds:

Car 1
Steggy Stage 4 Eaton with 2.76 pulley
BBK Cold Air Intake
Accufab Monoblade and Plenum
BBK X Pipe with SLP catback
Local Dyno Tune

Car 2
Stock Blower with 2.76 pulley
JLT Short Ram Next Gen Intake
Accufab Monoblade and Plenum
JBA Offroad H Pipe
Borla Stinger Catback
BAMA Tuned

mkb116

Established Member
You don't state whether car 1 has cats or not. But based on the stage 4 port, it wouldn't matter much at those power levels. Car 1 had the advantage.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Car 1 and car 2 should get a real dyno tune not a canned tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
car 1 - the ported eaton is going to be able to make more power than the stock eaton. plus it will have the custom dyno tune

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are canned tunes different than a remote tune?

Canned tunes are the tunes that usually come when you order an intake, tune, and pulley together. Or something like those mods. No datalogs are taken for these tunes. The email tunes, as you know, are still custom tunes because datalogs are taken and a tuner is adjusting the tune for that specific car.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Canned tunes are the tunes that usually come when you order an intake, tune, and pulley together. Or something like those mods. No datalogs are taken for these tunes. The email tunes, as you know, are still custom tunes because datalogs are taken and a tuner is adjusting the tune for that specific car.

Okay thanks for clarifying, I thought that's what the difference was but wasn't 100% sure.

danterakin

Established Member
Car1 and Car2 is both off road and the Bama tune has thoroughly been datalogged and set at 12.0 AFR 21* timing across the board.
The reason why we go back and forth is because the Bama tuned (Car 2) got a faster 1/4mph and trap speed. Car 1 excuse is because the BBK restricts air.
Both cars were dynoed (same dynojet) and dragged:
Car1 (ported local custom tune) achieved 476rwhp/470tq 12.2et @ 115mph 1.7s 60ft
Car2 (unported BAMA tuned) achieved 468rwhp/485tq 12.1et @ 118mph 1.9s 60ft

If it came down to it, would the dyno numbers for Car1 be because the BBK intake or is it because the tune? What about Car2, should it expect more power being BAMA tuned?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If anything the bbk intake is just plain ugly. People have been using stock intake with twinscrew blowers. I doubt my jlt rai outflows the stock unit by much, if it does.

Edit: Are those dyno numbers on the same dyno?

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If anything the bbk intake is just plain ugly. People have been using stock intake with twinscrew blowers. I doubt my jlt rai outflows the stock unit by much, if it does.

Edit: Are those dyno numbers on the same dyno?

This! I have a stock intake with the FIPK. I wouldn't mind a painted to match JLT RAI in the future though. Just not high on it now cause I don't see me gaining anything just looks lol.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Steggy car might be heat sinking on the big end/running hotter.

Also, rpm shift point on the steggy car should be lower like 5500-6000 or so to stay in the meat of the curve. The pulley car may be ok up to 6250-6500 depending on its power delivery.

If both drivers are shifting at 6500, the Steggy car is probably 1) heat sinking 2) in the downside of its powerband.

I'm at 4600ft, and my 476whp full bolt on eaton combo was noticeably slower if i revved out to 6500 vs "short shifting" at 5500. My peak power was at 5100 and tapered off from there. I had 4.10's as well so shifting at 6500 put me down to 5700 which was still well passed my power peak.

Shifting at 5500 put me into 4900 which was bang on to pull hard.

My experience is at 4600ft of altitude with much different air than sea level cars get to play with so all of my info may not jive with the experiences the op and his friend have.

3mph is a big difference in trap speed for relatively similar cars. Driver mod/wot shifting can account for 3mph, but I think the bbk (hot air induction) is leading the steggy to heat sink quickly. Try a fender mounted filter.

TRBO VNM

Car 1 needs a driver mod something bad. I went 12.54 @ 113mph in a bone stock car down to stock paper filter. And 11.30's with a ported blower full weight

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
owner #1 needs to throw keys to owner #2 and vice versa....eliminate the driver mod before arguing any more. The poor cars are just cars and appear much more evenly matched than the timeslips indicate

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Car1 and Car2 is both off road and the Bama tune has thoroughly been datalogged and set at 12.0 AFR 21* timing across the board.
The reason why we go back and forth is because the Bama tuned (Car 2) got a faster 1/4mph and trap speed. Car 1 excuse is because the BBK restricts air.
Both cars were dynoed (same dynojet) and dragged:
Car1 (ported local custom tune) achieved 476rwhp/470tq 12.2et @ 115mph 1.7s 60ft
Car2 (unported BAMA tuned) achieved 468rwhp/485tq 12.1et @ 118mph 1.9s 60ft

If it came down to it, would the dyno numbers for Car1 be because the BBK intake or is it because the tune? What about Car2, should it expect more power being BAMA tuned?

If both cars dynoed on the same dyno (similar weather conditions), I'm thinking that the tune on car #1 needs to be checked. Because with similar mods the Stage 4 Steggy car is only making 8hp more at the wheels, and losing 15 ft. lbs. of torque to the wheels. I'm assuming both are using 91 octane fuel. Car #1 should be winning in the 1/4. More power. Almost equal torque. Better 60' time.

danterakin

Established Member
Car1 was dynotuned with 91oct and BAMA was for 93oct. When drag racing, two different days but same drag strip. Car1 was racing with slicks on a 90*day and Car2 was racing with street tires on a 75* night.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
^^^ I'm with Bob. Car #1 needs to have the tune checked. Stage 4 was one of Steggy's best blowers so it appears it needs a MAF, BAP, and/or injectors to optimize the blower setup. A ported blower will not contribute much in the torque curve but car #1 should be much closer to 500hp.

Users who are viewing this thread