Which mustang for a long commute DD?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'm looking to get back into a mustang after not having one for about the last 5 years. Now that my Tacoma is long paid for and getting up there in mileage, I want to put it aside and pick up a Mustang for my 100 mile daily commute.

I usually go for something that is a bit more rare than just a GT as I like to have something different. It's been cobra's in the past and a Bullitt.

I want to stay at $30k or below and was initially looking at either a Boss or GT500 but I have a feeling a 6 speed and tight suspension might be a bit much for such a long commute. Right now i'm leaning towards a 13/14 GT auto with brembo package and hopefully Recaros. I'll add a supercharger on top of that.

Anything else i should consider?

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I drove the Recaros in a friends car for a few hours and they were not all that comfortable. I think the premium seats are pretty good for a GT (grand touring) car.

Zemedici

Established Member
Stay away from recaros. I'd get an automatic GT. Or if you're not worried about shifting get the PP. Loved my 15, just missed the rawness of my cobra.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Replace your seats with a tmi kit. Have heard nothing but good comfort reviews.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Ok so no Recaro's then. Am I right that you can only get the Brembo package in auto for 13/14 right?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
To be quite honest, I love my 6th gen for daily. The suspension handling is way better and way more comfortable. You can pick up used 2015+ GT automatics for under 30k.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
My leather Recaros are the best and most comfortable seats I have ever had. Way better support and way more comfortable for longer rides than stock seats IMO. And they hold you snugly when you're on windy back roads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Stay away from recaros. I'd get an automatic GT. Or if you're not worried about shifting get the PP. Loved my 15, just missed the rawness of my cobra.
I agree.

I'd go for a 2013-2014 GT Premium with the auto. No track package and no Recaro seats. I'd want the electronics package that includes voice navigation. IMO the GT Premium would give you a fun and comfortable daily commute. Mileage would be decent (18/25) assuming you resisted the constant urge to get on it. LOL.

Just wish the 2013-2014 Mustang had the Sync 2.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Used 15-16.

IIRC they received forged rods(from the Boss). That and the interior goodies, depending on options, are a plus for a DD

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I still think my car is really comfortable (12 GT auto) but I've heard the 15+ are a whole new ballgame. Plus as others have mentioned the boss rods. You can boost to over 600whp and not have to worry about a thing and have a car that drives like a dream and looks mean

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
For some reason, I find the back end of a 15+ so bad looking that I crossed them off the list. Maybe in the right color or with the right spoiler it could be different?? Reminds me of foxbody's without a spoiler :)

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
For some reason, I find the back end of a 15+ so bad looking that I crossed them off the list. Maybe in the right color or with the right spoiler it could be different?? Reminds me of foxbody's without a spoiler :)
Lol, it was the backend that I initially fell in love with. It was the front end I thought looked terrible. I still prefer the body style of my '13, overall.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
15+ 5.0

Single turbo or get blown later on. The IRS is better for DD purposes too, skip the 6-speed, it sucks in these cars unless you are in getting a GT500 or a GT350.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
To be quite honest, I love my 6th gen for daily. The suspension handling is way better and way more comfortable. You can pick up used 2015+ GT automatics for under 30k.

I'd agree. The S550 is very comfortable for a commuter.

My leather Recaros are the best and most comfortable seats I have ever had. Way better support and way more comfortable for longer rides than stock seats IMO. And they hold you snugly when you're on windy back roads.

I like the Recaro's far better than the premium seats in my 09 GT500. Those seats were terrible could never find a comfort spot. Drove the 12 with Recaro's during HRPT 2016 and put 2500 miles on it in a week, 0 problems.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
S550 auto. you can pick one up for well under your limit and still have a few bucks over to mod it a little.

GT500 suspension isnt too stiff at all and its a comfortable car for a DD but the mpg is not great. and if you have to sit in traffic then having to constant shift sucks. the clutch is the weak link on GT500s and sitting in traffic certainly wont help. im positive that's what did mine in.

a friend has been contemplating the same decision and id definitely go S550 auto. he may even lean towards ecoboost due to mpg. 100 miles per day in 5.0 vs 4 banger will add up quickly $$.

Users who are viewing this thread