Which Degree?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I applied for school and got accepted to get another degree. So far I have associates degrees in Anesthesia Technology, Criminal Justice, and Healthcare Management.

I have about 12 years experience in patient care between being an Army Medic and Anesthesia Technologist to include a year as the Anesthesia Coordinator at a hospital.

I am coming up on nine years experience in Biomedical Engineering with three being in house and six as a Field Service Engineer.

I am trying to decide between the following.

And

Hopefully @jamessnover will chime in.

I am honestly happy doing what I do now. I am looking more towards maybe management when I get closer to retirement age or consult work in some way, shape or form as supplementary when I retire.

Thoughts? THOTS?

Roses are red, violets are blue, @SSSSSSSSSSSSVT wants to suck Trump’s dick, and he wants to blow you too.

MG0h3

Established Member
Anesthesia but don’t you need to be a DR to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
You’re like my wife. Just collecting degrees for no goddamn reason.

I say that mostly facetiously. I’m so glad I’m not still doing school shit at 39. Wife is 38, almost has her doctorate and has talked about a PhD…. ****ing why?

Relax. Enjoy life and your kids. She’s so busy with everything and all three kids are in baseball this summer. (I’ll stop there before I roll into an ex wives post)

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
You’re like my wife. Just collecting degrees for no goddamn reason.

I say that mostly facetiously. I’m so glad I’m not still doing school shit at 39. Wife is 38, almost has her doctorate and has talked about a PhD…. ****ing why?

Relax. Enjoy life and your kids. She’s so busy with everything and all three kids are in baseball this summer. (I’ll stop there before I roll into an ex wives post)

Work is paying so… why not. Lol

Roses are red, violets are blue, @SSSSSSSSSSSSVT wants to suck Trump’s dick, and he wants to blow you too.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
No on CRNA!

I am DONE with patient care. I am burnt out on patient care. I had the opportunity to go to PA or Radiation Therapy School years ago. I switched to the engineering side because I was just tired of patient care and the politics that went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dwest731

Established Member
How about service or Apps with a company like GE or Siemens? I’ve been doing CT for 16 yrs and am thinking about going that route. The service would be call and weekends but money is nice and no management stress there. They will send you to all of the classes so no extra degrees needed

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
How about service or Apps with a company like GE or Siemens? I’ve been doing CT for 16 yrs and am thinking about going that route. The service would be call and weekends but money is nice and no management stress there. They will send you to all of the classes so no extra degrees needed

I am a FSE on Acute Care Vents now.

I have training on Anesthesia Machines, CellSavers, Perfusion Machines, and Acute Care Vents. I currently work for a manufacturer.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I do kind of wish I had gone with a degree in IT at times. But that's usually when I'm talking to my buddy that's in IT and works remote 90% of the time.

I went for business management with a specialization in project management. The funny part is those degrees along with my experience landed me an engineering position. Go figure. But I've been told by my manager I'm in a good position to move into project management when my probationary period is over.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have a clue on to what path you should take,.......but best of luck man.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Work is paying so… why not. Lol

If work is paying, get every degree / credit course they will pay for. You have nothing to lose. Even if you never use the degree, you are still qualified and it looks great on a resume. Do be careful going into management, I did that and while the experience is good to have, I would not do it again

Fat Boss

Established Member
If work is paying, get every degree / credit course they will pay for. You have nothing to lose. Even if you never use the degree, you are still qualified and it looks great on a resume. Do be careful going into management, I did that and while the experience is good to have, I would not do it again

This^. My last company paid for and provided time for me to get a Systems Engineering certificate from Cal-Tech. It helped me leave them for the competition and about 100% more money.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Depends on what you want to do in life. Getting a degree just to get it is really dumb IMO. Unless you love school style learning which I personally hate with a passion. Degrees don’t hold their weight like they used to. I know a lot of people in the IT space and none of them have degrees.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I applied for school and got accepted to get another degree. So far I have associates degrees in Anesthesia Technology, Criminal Justice, and Healthcare Management.

I have about 12 years experience in patient care between being an Army Medic and Anesthesia Technologist to include a year as the Anesthesia Coordinator at a hospital.

I am coming up on nine years experience in Biomedical Engineering with three being in house and six as a Field Service Engineer.

I am trying to decide between the following.

And

Hopefully @jamessnover will chime in.

I am honestly happy doing what I do now. I am looking more towards maybe management when I get closer to retirement age or consult work in some way, shape or form as supplementary when I retire.

Thoughts? THOTS?

This is a field with a spectacular shortage of people:

Yes, it's a Masters, but if you do the IT Bachelor's, it should come next.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
There’s nothing wrong with company funded education. You learn a new skill, they get the use of your new skill, fair trade it’s not a government hand out

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
This is a field with a spectacular shortage of people:

Yes, it's a Masters, but if you do the IT Bachelor's, it should come next.

The way I look at it is, is the IT degree worth it over certifications? Would I be more attractive as a candidate with the Applied Business and Technology Solutions and some IT certs? Or an IT degree?

Like I said, I enjoy what I do now with no plans fora career change. But, what could make me highly desirable in about 10-15 years when I start contemplating retirement and consult work to supplement retirement and traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread