Where can I get my mt-82 upgraded?

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
As the title says, anyone know a place in Cali that builds mt-82s? My third gear syncro is seems to be jacked up from when I was on the stock clutch. So at the minimum it will need 3rd gear syncro, but while I'm having it repaired I would like to have it beefed up if possible. Anyone know a good shop I can take it to? I'm not really trying to drop $5k+ on a t56 swap right now.

Edit: car is making north of 700rwhp 600rwtq @11.5psi. I had third gear issues prior to my clutch upgrade (twin disc). I was hoping it would help the shifting issue along with fluid upgrade. Already have a mgw as well

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Rev Auto would be the only guys I'd allow to do the MT-82 Rebuild with upgraded internals. My 5th gears also dead and I've decided NOT to play with the MT-82 and invest money into a trans with syncros so sensitive as if a syncro break again after I rebuild I'm out another $1800-2000 once everything's been shipped and replaced/repaired. If your dead set on the MT-82 well... GL with it and post up end results with which shop/build your choose, maybe check out cryo treating the sycros might work might not.

86merc

Established Member
Any local trans re builder can rebuild it. If you give them the brass shift fork pads and shifter stop they will be happy to put them in. I think spending money on a MT82 isn't worth it. Especially on a power adder car. Read below to see the two main reasons.

I would suggest Hanlon in PA, I believe they work on Getrag's.

They do work on them. As does Liberty Gears. I know Liberty offers cyro & REM treating. But it isn't cheap. I don't think I would spend the money on MT82 as the physical size of the gears is smaller than other options. But even more so that there is no SFI bellhousing to use with it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you looked around you could probably buy a good used one cheaper than you can rebuild a broken one. Otherwise, I'd be looking to move to a Tremec.

SCalla1384

Established Member
The mt82 gears are fine, and not the weak point. It's the plastic pads, plastic shift stop and the quality of the synchros. Mix that with a crappy factory clutch, it's not ideal.

I just killed 4th and 5th gear. I picked up a low mileage working mt82 that's going in tomorrow. I'm taking mine to a local guy, used to build transmissions at a shop now does it on the side. He put my bronze pads in.

What were going to do is send the gears, sliders, and input/counter/main shaft to be REM polished (probably Evans Performance in GA) and hand dress the dogs/synchros.

Hand dressing the synchros won't make them stronger, but will allow much easier gear engagement without grinding. So it'll take a lot of wear and tear from them. And also polishing the synchro hubs.

Cryo treating the synchros seems hit or miss. I've read posts where people had gears/synchros cryo treated and a few weeks or days later they fell apart. I guess if the process isn't done correctly it'll just make it brittle and crumble.

I would talk to Liberty Gear and rev auto. I'm sure you can find someone local to do it. A performance trans place should be able to upgrade. These transmissions aren't as complex as some people think. My guy when he opened the trans up literally used a 2 and 3 jaw puller, and a slide hammer for everything. It's a bunch of gears on shafts

86merc

Established Member
The gear sets are not physically as large as other popular upgraded transmissions. Heck, they are not even as beefy as other transmissions in the Gertag family. Look for the thread where the guy compared the MT82 gears to the gears from his Supra Gertag trans. They are limited in diameter because of the shaft spacing. But the Supra gear were also thicker.

I like the MT82 for a few reasons. But for strength and safety reasons I would not spend any money on upgrading them. But a Magnum XL conversion isn't cheap either. So I understand the draw to try and upgrade the MT82

SCalla1384

Established Member
I almost positive all the gears in the mt82 are bigger then t56 gears.

A buddy of mine had compared them and said they are all bigger in the mt82 then the t56.

But regardless, how often have you seen a gear break in these transmissions ? I for one haven't.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Norcal? Socal?

We have a bunch of shops in the SF Bay Area that treat mt82s, but most people are just moving to T56xl.

I'm in central Cali so I could yank it out and drive it up there. Do you have some shop names so I can do a cost comparison vs a magnum xl?

Is the tail housing on a magnum xl is a different length than the mt82? The reason I ask is because I installed a DSS driveshaft a couple months ago. I guess I could sell the driveshaft, loop, and mgw to cover some of the cost to swap to a magnum xl. I would kick myself if the mt82 took a crap again after a rebuild.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
you would think someone would be offering a turn key upgraded mt82 by now. direct swap and you return your core to them. for around $2000 to $2200.

draxxus131

Established Member
I keep wondering if anyone has dabbled with the T-56 from the 03/04 cobras. Yes it is geared towards forced induction, but the force is strong with this one!

lovebread

Established Member
I'd contact Borelli Motorsports or Mustang Ranch. Both have experience with T56XL S197 swaps, but BMS farms the work out to another shop on their premises.

There is always letting AED take a wack as I've seen a few T56xls laying around their shop ;)

e: For what it's worth I have a friend currently dealing with his dead MT82. It's already shit out 2 clutches, there might be major issues with the input shaft itself. Ford does not want to play ball but the original diagnosis was already settled with the BBB.

X4M6Dwk.jpg

aYTPUOt.jpg

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
MT82 has 82mm gears. hence MT82! i think the T56 Magnum is 86mm diameter. also, the MT82 has slighlty thinner gears vs. the T56, MT82 looks about 3-5mm narrower. call it 23mm vs 27mm or something like that.

2013 and beyond MT82's have one of the syncro's removed on 5th gear, so i'd find a way to add those back.. if you don't have FI or Nitrous, then the MT82 is a better transmission. its almost 60lbs lighter, shifts much better IMO, and has 5 forward ratios and one overdrive vs. 4 forward ratios and 2 overdrives in the Magnum. the linkage is the big advantage of the Magnum - and you can get around that by using a better shiftier / bracket / fluid.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
The gear sets are not physically as large as other popular upgraded transmissions. Heck, they are not even as beefy as other transmissions in the Gertag family. Look for the thread where the guy compared the MT82 gears to the gears from his Supra Gertag trans. They are limited in diameter because of the shaft spacing. But the Supra gear were also thicker.

I like the MT82 for a few reasons. But for strength and safety reasons I would not spend any money on upgrading them. But a Magnum XL conversion isn't cheap either. So I understand the draw to try and upgrade the MT82

The Supra was also a much more expensive car than the Mustangs today are.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I keep wondering if anyone has dabbled with the T-56 from the 03/04 cobras. Yes it is geared towards forced induction, but the force is strong with this one!

Shifter is in the wrong location.

you could use a Tr6060 from a GT500 if you can find that, still going to have a remote mount shifter

Users who are viewing this thread