What's your "Perks of the job"?

Helomech74

Established Member
Congrats on the new job, a 45K pay raise is always a nice thing.

Around here, an underling is anyone that might have to get their hands dirty, or carry one of those evil guns, lol.

I hope to reach uppity up status once I decide to quit this life and do something else.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, Ok. We call them Big Shots or Executives around here. With an MBA and a nice gig, I wouldn't call you an underling though.

I've made it through the negotiating stage with my soon to be new job. Best perk is a $45k raise. :)

Maybe someday I'll be an uppity up. :eek:

That's it? You've failed miserably.

This is SVTP.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, that plus a $20k signing bonus and $80k in stock that vests over 3 years. I'm happy to be doing something else, and once again work for a guy I've worked for several times in the past.

Meh. 4/10. You're getting somewhere, but we expected more, really.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, full medical/dental/vision, Health Savings Account, 401k matching, flexible hours, work on cutting edge technology, ok that's about it. Hope it gets me to 5/10. :rolleyes:

Close. But for living in Morgan Hill, or Tracy, or Livermore, or anywhere around there you're going to need a good $250k+ salary and then some.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Close. But for living in Morgan Hill, or Tracy, or Livermore, or anywhere around there you're going to need a good $250k+ salary and then some.

My total comp when including all the insurance premiums and perks will be close to that.

I live on the outskirts of town, and so my house wasn't "that much" haha. I paid $860k for it 2.5 years ago. It included a small rental cottage that I rent for $1k / mo. so there's that. I play the liberal BS game and drive an electric car to work so my commute is about a half hour each way. Once home I have 75 oak trees and the serenity of living in the country.

80-drone_20pic_zps3ruqp3qn_02931ac2df984b05e89b1b7b7ab7c5a0812fd383.jpg

FJohnny

Established Member
The company owner was kind of an A-hole who demanded impossibly long hours seven days a week in a high stress job. No family time, had to quit hunting and golf so I could work more. Family life was definitely affected and life was not a ton of fun.

When my wife pointed out how much I hated working for me I thought it over, fired myself and sold the company.

The only perk I can think of is that the resulting payout meant that I could choose to retire young. I got to coach my kids' teams and watch all of their track meets, soccer/basketball/football/etc games for the next 10 years.

jrandy

Established Member
My total comp when including all the insurance premiums and perks will be close to that.

I live on the outskirts of town, and so my house wasn't "that much" haha. I paid $860k for it 2.5 years ago. It included a small rental cottage that I rent for $1k / mo. so there's that. I play the liberal BS game and drive an electric car to work so my commute is about a half hour each way. Once home I have 75 oak trees and the serenity of living in the country.

View attachment 1551750

Hello, neighbor! Sold our place in San Jose and have been in Morgan Hill for about 5 years now.

I have to say, it's 10x better here than San Jose IMO.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Hello, neighbor! Sold our place in San Jose and have been in Morgan Hill for about 5 years now.

I have to say, it's 10x better here than San Jose IMO.

Right on, man! I lived in Coyote Valley for 12 years, then spent a year and a half in South San Jose / Santa Teresa area. I couldn't stand that so sold and bought my place out by Cinnabar Golf Course.

jrandy

Established Member
Right on, man! I lived in Coyote Valley for 12 years, then spent a year and a half in South San Jose / Santa Teresa area. I couldn't stand that so sold and bought my place out by Cinnabar Golf Course.

Shit - we've been close for a while. I was born and raised in South San Jose and my wife and I bought a townhouse off Santa Teresa before moving to Morgan Hill.

Back to the thread - people sure do have some sweet perks!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
My Family/Dad owns 3 DQs

"Free Food"
"Free Ice"
"Custom Schedule"

Dipped cones for dayssss.

The company owner was kind of an A-hole who demanded impossibly long hours seven days a week in a high stress job. No family time, had to quit hunting and golf so I could work more. Family life was definitely affected and life was not a ton of fun.

When my wife pointed out how much I hated working for me I thought it over, fired myself and sold the company.

The only perk I can think of is that the resulting payout meant that I could choose to retire young. I got to coach my kids' teams and watch all of their track meets, soccer/basketball/football/etc games for the next 10 years.

Ha! That's awesome. I agree with the assessment of your boss, I bet he was a real jerk off!

At my job I'm one step closer to a title change (same job and duties just a different title) that will give me a raise, a higher bonus structure, and an extra week of vacation. They also changed our accrual policy so I'll get another week in 2 years. That'll give me 272 hours of PTO every year plus 8 paid holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread