What's yer house thermostat set at?

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Are you using electric or water? We're building new this summer and I keep going back and forth on whether to use radiant floor heat. It's about twice the cost for the equipment and install as compared to conventional systems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Do you have the ability to go off-peak electric? The last house I built had off-peak electric heat and water heater. 4,660 finished square feet. Forced air and radiant combination. I partnered with my electric coop for system design.

Blown 89

Established Member
Winter: 73 at night (turned off and windows open during the day)

Summer: 74 bedtime, 77-78 daytime

Thermostat temperatures are deceptive being in an old drafty house.

colin450

Established Member
Are you using electric or water? We're building new this summer and I keep going back and forth on whether to use radiant floor heat. It's about twice the cost for the equipment and install as compared to conventional systems.

Water with propane boiler, no natural gas in my town. 1500 gallon propane tank is buried in the ground. The initial cost is more expensive but radiant is the most efficient way to heat your house. If you can fit it in your budget for your new house I highly recommend it.

CV355

_
Established Member
SC. 68 in the winter (wife is always cold), 78 in the summer (I hate the heat)

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have the ability to go off-peak electric? The last house I built had off-peak electric heat and water heater. 4,660 finished square feet. Forced air and radiant combination. I partnered with my electric coop for system design.
I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Water with propane boiler, no natural gas in my town. 1500 gallon propane tank is buried in the ground. The initial cost is more expensive but radiant is the most efficient way to heat your house. If you can fit it in your budget for your new house I highly recommend it.
This is what I keep hearing. Everyone that has radiant floor heat absolutely loves it. I think I'll look into installing it myself and cut the price down.

blk02edge

Established Member
We hover around 32F in the winter and dont even bother with heat because thats race car money

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
We have central A/C, and for heat we have natural gas forced air along with a Little Buck Stove wood burner. We have a Nest thermostat set as follows:

Summer...
9:00AM-3:00PM 73*
3:00PM-9:00AM 72*

early Spring & early Fall... (here in WV it may be 80* outside during the day then 40* at night)
6:30AM-7:30AM 71* heat, 74* cool so it's warmer while I shower & dress in the mornings
7:30-10:00AM 70* heat, 73* cool
10:00AM-4:00PM 65* heat, 73* cool
4:00PM-6:00AM 70* heat, 73* cool

Winter...
6:30-7:30AM 71* same theory regarding shower & dress in mornings
7:30-10:00AM 70*
10:00AM-4:00PM 65*
4:00PM-6:30AM 70* while we're asleep
But when it's under 50* outside we burn wood in the Little Buck Stove, and I'll turn the gas heat down to 65* so it doesn't kick on. If you throw as much as kinling in that stove when it's 50*+ it'll run you out of the house.

So basically we keep the heat around 70*, the A/C around 72*/73*, and adjust accordingly for sleep, away, morning shower, or burning wood for heat.

As far as the garage goes, we have a wall mount natural gas heater. I keep it on Low, so it stays around 55* in there. Makes it nice for the wife to get into a warm vehicle in the winter, and I have a bar in the garage so won't take forever to heat it up when I hang out there in the evenings.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Depends. 68-74.

I'll usually flick it off when I'm walking out in the morning and turn it back on when I get home. It runs off of my water heater and because gas is so cheap out here it doesn't really cost anything to run. The difference between not using the heat during summer and literally keeping it on 24/7 during winter is like $30 per month.

I like the cost efficiency but it's slow to bring everything up to temp. Couple that with relatively inefficient insulation, during the winter it can take 6 hours to move it 6 degrees up. Not that long ago I fell asleep with the windows open and a fan blowing the air in, it got down to single digits outside that night. It was 64 when I woke up and I kicked on the heater. It ran all day while I was at work and by the time I got home it was only 72.

Lol poor cat actually got under the covers with us to keep warm.

During summer with the AC is a different story. I only turn it on when I'm sweating balls.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Gas here.
It's pretty much set at 66 degrees. Once in a while I kick it up to 68 degrees depending how cool it gets out here in the Northeast.

colin450

Established Member
This is what I keep hearing. Everyone that has radiant floor heat absolutely loves it. I think I'll look into installing it myself and cut the price down.

Definitely look into it. I ran all the pipe myself with the help of one plumber and another friend. Stop by a plumbing supply in your area, if you end up buying the stuff from them they'll (or the vendor they buy from) usually engineer a radiant plan and you just follow that.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions my family has owned a plumbing/heating supply here in MA & RI since 1963.

Users who are viewing this thread