What's yer house thermostat set at?

colin450

Established Member
Radiant heat in my house here in MA. Set it at 67 when it starts getting cold and it stays there all winter. I keep the garage as low as the thermostat will go which I think is 45. Just enough to get the chill out. Radiant isn't the type of system you want to be changing temps all the time.

bigmoose

Established Member
I keep my main living area at 68-70 all winter. Upstairs is kept at 64-66 for sleeping. My garage is kept at 55 for the Stang.

95% efficient condensing natural gas boiler ftw. Average gas bill in the winter is $120. 20 year old cape, 1900sqft plus garage.

Large setbacks(turning down at night/away) don't save much money with the newer high efficiency boilers.

08mojo

Established Member
thermostat.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
78 during the summer.

70-71 during the winter. Mostly because upstairs stays warmer then downstairs, and being on an elevated slab makes the down stairs always colder.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Hmmm, I haven't touched my thermostat since November I think. I just leave it off here in AZ. 70's in the day then it drops down in the evening I will kick on the electric fireplace for about 30 min before bed and its toasty in there.

Recon

Established Member
Around 65-70 year around. With the fireplace in the living room it stays around 80.
Geothermal system, SW KY.

Pick your poison.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
65 just about year round. We will jack it up to 67 if its below 20 degrees outside. Also, summer months windows open and HVAC off unless its over 85.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Radiant heat in my house here in MA. Set it at 67 when it starts getting cold and it stays there all winter. I keep the garage as low as the thermostat will go which I think is 45. Just enough to get the chill out. Radiant isn't the type of system you want to be changing temps all the time.
Are you using electric or water? We're building new this summer and I keep going back and forth on whether to use radiant floor heat. It's about twice the cost for the equipment and install as compared to conventional systems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
CobraBob likes to hang meat in his house while 03cobra#694 likes to bake a turkey in his.

While living in Wisconsin we set it at 68 in the winter and 72 in the summer.

Now that we've moved to the Vegas area, this winter we have had it off or set to 62. Energy bill is non-existent. I am curious to see what summer has in store for us. I will cool the house even if I have to set it to subzero! LOL We are leasing a house but it does have fans and tinted windows. Anyone else in the desert have any suggestions about how to keep the place cool in the summer?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Massachusetts here. Most of the time I have it set at 68, sometimes I'll kick it up to 70 and at bedtime 64. I have forced hot water heat by natural gas.

Users who are viewing this thread