What was your last workout?

spectreman

Established Member
@spectreman: I agree with the "just do something anything thing." Get off your butt, adjust your workouts to your age and physical condition, and do something. I get bored in gyms sometimes and have found activities like being active in sports is much more enjoyable. I incorporate boxing and swimming and tennis and walking/running/sprinting in my workouts.

Agreed. For example, I sometimes get bored w/my elliptical, my primary cardio machine. So I'll infrequently hop on my bicycle and go for a ride, or slip on the sneaks and go for a couple mile easy jog.

I also often change my lifting routines so neither I, nor my body, gets bored. Sometimes that as simple as increasing/decreasing weights, reps, mixing up push/pull exercises, doing whole body one day, anything to shock the body.

The boredom from routinization can be a workout killer.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Just got in from a back workout.

Deadlifts:
225x8
315x6
405x10

Cable pull downs:
165x10
180x10
195x10

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows
3 Sets of 100x12

Lat pulldown machine
90lbs each side x 10; 3 sets

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I've been
Do yourselves favor and subscribe to this gent's youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24. Jeff is a physical therapist and personal trainer, possibly one of the best I've ever seen. Look at some of his vids, especially involving the shoulders, like this one he did for upright rows:

and Jeff will explain it to you in far better, clearer terms than I could ever hope to imagine.
Lee
I watch quite a bit of Jeffs videos. I'm guilty of doing rows like that and I stopped the second I saw his video.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I watch quite a bit of Jeffs videos. I'm guilty of doing rows like that and I stopped the second I saw his video.
You don’t have to stop.

If you do good form and stay light they won’t hurt you but they are not for everyone. If you have any shoulder impingement then no they are bad for you.

I don’t do them all the time just once in a while. I have discussed this topic in detail with my trainer. I never go heavier than 25 pounds on each side and I restrict the rom.

spectreman

Established Member
Bruno-
Is your trainer a highly trained, highly educated physical therapist, as Jeff is? Lots of folks take those weekend courses to become 'trainers' or 'earn' that designation because they appear fit or are big & strong or have simply worked out a while. That doesn't mean they understand the science behind kinesiology, biomechanics, anatomy & physiology.

You can do whatever you like- your body, your shoulders, but I guarantee you, you'll pay for it in the long run, light weights or not. If you don't currently have shoulder impingement, you will and upright rows will prove a major factor in their development, as will other poorly designed exercises like those I previously mentioned and improper lifting techniques.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Lee

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Bruno-
Is your trainer a highly trained, highly educated physical therapist, as Jeff is? Lots of folks take those weekend courses to become 'trainers' or 'earn' that designation because they appear fit or are big & strong or have simply worked out a while. That doesn't mean they understand the science behind kinesiology, biomechanics, anatomy & physiology.

You can do whatever you like- your body, your shoulders, but I guarantee you, you'll pay for it in the long run, light weights or not. If you don't currently have shoulder impingement, you will and upright rows will prove a major factor in their development, as will other poorly designed exercises like those I previously mentioned and improper lifting techniques.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Lee
Very highly trained and very highly educated. The best I’ve ever had.

He’s 58 years old and was a junior Olympian in weightlifting and missed qualifying for the Olympics by one slot. He owns the gym and trains powerlifters and weight lifters and some bbuilders.
He has the full education. No weekend courses.
Him and I have been over this. My shoulders are healthy and I get no pain from doing the rows at all. Next day no pain etc. I know the exercise is not for everyone but I’ve been training since I was 17. I know my body and what works for me. Everyone else is different.

Most people destroy their shoulders from doing flat bench barbell presses incorrectly. Ie flat back, elbows flaired, too frequently doing the lift etc.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Bruno-

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Lee
Btw what are these other poorly designed exercises that you do not recommend?

spectreman

Established Member
I discussed those earlier- behind the neck presses, pulldowns behind the neck, in addition to the upright rows, as well as some of those crazy plyometric exercises done by crossfitters.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I discussed those earlier- behind the neck presses, pulldowns behind the neck, in addition to the upright rows, as well as some of those crazy plyometric exercises done by crossfitters.
I agree. I never do anything behind the neck.
I rarely do any behind the neck exercises as well.
BUT,......I do upright rows every single shoulder workout, which is once a week. Shrugs don't cut it. They don't get you bulked or truly big neck, at least not for me. I don't do heavy weight, about 65lbs. I can do much more than that but I do not, only when I was a young whippersnapper. lol

**edit - I also do barbell shoulder presses behind the neck on shoulder day. (Since we're talking about behind the neck exercises.)

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
I rarely do any behind the neck exercises as well.
BUT,......I do upright rows every single shoulder workout, which is once a week. Shrugs don't cut it. They don't get you bulked or truly big neck, at least not for me. I don't do heavy weight, about 65lbs. I can do much more than that but I do not, only when I was a young whippersnapper. lol

**edit - I also do barbell shoulder presses behind the neck on shoulder day. (Since we're talking about behind the neck exercises.)

Be careful of behind the neck presses if you go heavy. A small percentage of people can do them with no issue but most can not.

I can do behind the neck much heavier but my trainer will not let me do them.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Be careful of behind the neck presses if you go heavy. A small percentage of people can do them with no issue but most can not.
I can do behind the neck much heavier but my trainer will not let me do them.
I don't heavy, just 65lbs for reps. I realize that you can mess up your spine so easily doing those.
Thanks man!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I watched some of his videos last night after you posted actually and the dude does look great. (No homo!)
The problem I have is, the dude is definitely ripped and got some good size. But for size, you stick with the old school method in my opinion. (Again, my opinion.)
I'm going for size and power. Although I don't lift super heavy as I used to as when I was younger. He's more a strength trainer,....build muscle, but not too, much for athletic reasons. When you see him with a shirt on, he looks like any other average Joe, until he takes his shirt off. But, with the old school bodybuilding method,.........you can tell when someone is built without them taking off their shirt.

*****Nothing personal as I know you post these videos to help us from personal injury and I can respect that and appreciate it.

spectreman

Established Member
All I'm trying to do is illustrate some of the more important points I've learned over the years through my experiences and education so that, hopefully, some of you won't suffer some of the same stupid things I have.

Like I've said fellas, it's your body- do to it as you wish. I wish I had somebody like Jeff preaching to me many, many moons ago.
Lee

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Killed shoulders this morning. I have the best workouts when lifting lighter than heavier for some reason.
45 minutes on the treadmill after lunch. 5.0 incline @ 2.5 speed.

Users who are viewing this thread