What to do with the homeless?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
You forfeiting?
I'm done wasting my time and breath arguing with someone who thinks banks should hold hands, sing kumbaya, and hand out lollypops to people who spend beyond their means. This is a capitalist society. Go live somewhere else if you don't like the rules.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
For the most part, the homeless fall into three categories (each with their own issues).

1. The Mentally Ill - closure of the "state hospital" system turned thousands of these people out on the streets. The ones that don't end up in prison are typically on the streets. These people are likely not going to be able to function in society without supervision no matter what you do. We need more institutes to house them.

2. The Addicted - much like the mentally ill, but can be cleaned up. Stop putting addicts in jail, involuntarily commit them to a rehab and retraining program. Teach them to take care of themselves.

3. People Fallen on Hard Times - Where social welfare systems actually should be directed instead of the willfully generationally impoverished. Aid and retrain these people. A lot of people just need some life coaching on how to handle money and a little opportunity.

Well said, but I think there's a 4th group, that homeless activists refuse to admit....those who simply don't give a ****.

The runaways who are not on drugs. Mentally ill maybe? They don't want a job. They want this hippie-ish lifestyle of saying "**** the man" and just chilling without rules. They somehow have accepted sleeping in the bushes or under an overpass and enjoy their $30 a day in pan handling and then some fast food and hanging with friends.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well said, but I think there's a 4th group, that homeless activists refuse to admit....those who simply don't give a ****.

The runaways who are not on drugs. Mentally ill maybe? They don't want a job. They want this hippie-ish lifestyle of saying "**** the man" and just chilling without rules. They somehow have accepted sleeping in the bushes or under an overpass and enjoy their $30 a day in pan handling and then some fast food and hanging with friends.

True, but I'd say that's a small minority. Let vagrancy and panhandling laws, along with a reformed welfare system sort that bunch out.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I'm done wasting my time and breath arguing with someone who thinks banks should hold hands, sing kumbaya, and hand out lollypops to people who spend beyond their means. This is a capitalist society. Go live somewhere else if you don't like the rules.

My bank gives lolli's by just walking through the door. They're in a bowl. I usually get purple.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Banks offer terms that are either more, or less favorable to borrowers. It's up to the borrower to make the correct choice. Banks don't offer the "nice" rate to everyone because not all borrowers are of equal risk to the bank. There's this thing called a credit score. I'm sure you've heard of it.

You seem to think everyone is entitled to a home, and furthermore, a mortgage on said home at the best rates available, all out the goodness of the bank's heart. Sorry, but banks are in business to make money. It's up to consumers to minimized the amount the banks take from them, the same as any other business they deal with.

Ummm.....what? I've moved dozens of times, and never had to pay anything to the government to do it. Could you stop fabricating lies?

So, to be clear, you're OK with people that dodge taxes, i.e. break the law? You don't want the IRS to go after them? I don't like paying taxes, but I don't want to be a criminal, so I pay them anyhow.

When you move, which includes selling your old house and buying a new house, there's a lot of money that changes hands. There's a total of 12% in realtor/broker fees (2 houses), 2 closing costs, plus paying for boxes, moving companies, buying crap for the new home.

All of this money changes hands, and all of these people/C-corporations report money as income, which is taxed. Then these people spend their money, and then the next individuals report income off the same dollar.

No, you don't pay anything directly to the government, but they benefit by a dollar changing hands multiple times.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
why-yes-i-did-teach-twisted2v-all-about-economics-why-do-you-ask.jpg

Attachments

• why-yes-i-did-teach-twisted2v-all-about-econmics-why-do-you-ask.jpg
    why-yes-i-did-teach-twisted2v-all-about-econmics-why-do-you-ask.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 63

Twisted2v

Established Member
Banks offer terms that are either more, or less favorable to borrowers. It's up to the borrower to make the correct choice. Banks don't offer the "nice" rate to everyone because not all borrowers are of equal risk to the bank. There's this thing called a credit score. I'm sure you've heard of it.

So, to be clear, you're OK with people that dodge taxes, i.e. break the law? You don't want the IRS to go after them? I don't like paying taxes, but I don't want to be a criminal, so I pay them anyhow.

You missed the comment I replied to. Guy said the IRS goes after W-2 employees. That's false because they're after the self employed.

If the IRS can go search out those that don't pay taxes, why can't they search out those that are due refunds?

decipha

Established Member
x2 the IRS owes me ALOT of back taxes that I overpaid and never collected. State as well. We shall see how well it plays out when I deduct that "donation" from my taxes.

Coiled03

Established Member
If the IRS can go search out those that don't pay taxes, why can't they search out those that are due refunds?

Really? Because it's not in their financial interests. The government is a business. If people won't put in the effort to claim what they're owed, the government damn sure isn't going to make sure they get it.

Intervention302

Established Member
My father and I just had a discussion about this sort of thing.

We run a few Dairy Queens in NH. In Manchester, the biggest city of about 110K, definitely has an issue with homelessness as well as drugs/heroin use. Currently, our city is being sued by the ACLU about police treatment of homeless. Essentially, they are beginning to camp on the local business streets in front of vacant buildings. Nearby business owners are concerned that its beginning to diminish the amount of foot traffic to our busiest street. Yet, legally, the police are not able to tell them to move on

Anyway, back to our specific situation. We have a group of homeless that live in a nearby park. They come in multiple times each day (as many as 8-10 times maybe) to use the bathroom. Of which, sometimes they can be in there for upwards of 20 minutes on occasions. I'm not trying to be a prick, but when I get complaints from customers that the bathroom is busy, we have got to start to do something.

Last week, a different group of homeless came in to warm up. They began to ask my customers for change and I drew the line at that. A customer however did not like me talking to them about it and bought them a meal

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
My father and I just had a discussion about this sort of thing.
We run a few Dairy Queens in NH. In Manchester, the biggest city of about 110K, definitely has an issue with homelessness as well as drugs/heroin use. Currently, our city is being sued by the ACLU about police treatment of homeless. Essentially, they are beginning to camp on the local business streets in front of vacant buildings. Nearby business owners are concerned that its beginning to diminish the amount of foot traffic to our busiest street. Yet, legally, the police are not able to tell them to move on
Anyway, back to our specific situation. We have a group of homeless that live in a nearby park. They come in multiple times each day (as many as 8-10 times maybe) to use the bathroom. Of which, sometimes they can be in there for upwards of 20 minutes on occasions. I'm not trying to be a prick, but when I get complaints from customers that the bathroom is busy, we have got to start to do something.
Last week, a different group of homeless came in to warm up. They began to ask my customers for change and I drew the line at that. A customer however did not like me talking to them about it and bought them a meal
Yeah, NH has a bad heroin issue. Actually, it's bad all over, some worse than others.
I don't blame you for kicking them out. It sucks, but you have a business to run and if I was a regular and had people coming up to me looking for money, I probably won't be going there any longer. As far as them using the bathrooms, they're probably in there getting high. We have a huge drug mess in the U.S. and hopefully the border wall will help put a big dent in it from coming in.
Good luck man.

(P.S. Did your dad ever sell his ZR1?)

Intervention302

Established Member
Yeah, NH has a bad heroin issue. Actually, it's bad all over, some worse than others.
I don't blame you for kicking them out. It sucks, but you have a business to run and if I was a regular and had people coming up to me looking for money, I probably won't be going there any longer. As far as them using the bathrooms, they're probably in there getting high. We have a huge drug mess in the U.S. and hopefully the border wall will help put a big dent in it from coming in.
Good luck man.

(P.S. Did your dad ever sell his ZR1?)
Yes, sold it for 72k I believe. Got a lot of crap for the high price. But, it was worth it to the right buyer with the rare color combo

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, sold it for 72k I believe. Got a lot of crap for the high price. But, it was worth it to the right buyer with the rare color combo
Awesome.
That was a great looking car. I watched the videos more than once. lol

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Anyway, back to our specific situation. We have a group of homeless that live in a nearby park. They come in multiple times each day (as many as 8-10 times maybe) to use the bathroom. Of which, sometimes they can be in there for upwards of 20 minutes on occasions.

20 minutes? Either a leisurely shit, drug use, or taking a hobo shower in your sink. Either way, I would have no problem telling them to leave.

In some larger cities, or at least Chicago, for fast food places, your receipt will have a code on it, that is changed daily, and only that 4 digit code will unlock the bathroom door. The Chick-fil-a I stopped at, on a cold and rainy day, even had a worker staffed near the two bathrooms (which was also near an exit) and he was quickly doing the code for you, as you walked up with receipt in hand. I figure he was also blocking the homeless from coming in that side exit.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You missed the comment I replied to. Guy said the IRS goes after W-2 employees. That's false because they're after the self employed.

I do not miss filing taxes.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
it's been mentioned already but those who are pretending are making it harder for us to differentiae between those who are actually in a serious bind. Unfortunately it's just a part of our social norm now that's never going to be absolved.

Users who are viewing this thread