What (solid axle did you use) in the rear of your Termi???

MAMBA83

Established Member
Whats up guys I've been researching different possiblities for my solid rear axle swap. I wanted to see what some of you fellow Terminator owners had on that sexy rear end of your Terminator and how well do you like it... Feel free to add pics too...

One example I got is one guy I met not to long ago in my neck of the woods had an 03 Terminator with a 94 gt rear swap. He said he went with the 94 gt swap because its a little narrower and his wheels sit tucked in more which I was a little confused because from what I see on my Termi going in more will not go well without a tub.. I totally forgot to ask him about his back spacing which Im guessing was huge. Thanks for your input guys.

Ps Im Planning on picking up a Mach 1 rear and building it up. possibly 3.73/3.90, alburn, strange axles, housing reinforcements, Q1 adjustables, etc... straight line setup

serper3

Established Member
your neck of the woods... is pretty much my neck of the woods!

anyway, i am very strongly debating also going with the built solid, but i like the ability to have a multi purpose car, that i can drag, and auto cross etc.. even though it wouldnt be doing those things exceptionally well, it would a blast!
the other route, i am thinking of, is the full tilt boogie full bushing kit, maybe upgrade half shafts later...

stal94gt

Established Member
i run a sra out of my old 2000 gt with a detroit trutrac and alloy racing 31 spline axles. if i could do it over again i would have used a 94-98 axle setup cause they dont sit in much more than 1/2 inch but that is all that is really needed to keep the tires from being cut in the fender.

MAMBA83

Established Member
Hey Serper3 and yeah it looks like you are pretty close to my neck of the woods... haha

Yeah I thought about going the hole tilt boogie route to with upgraded axles but I just recently had a bad tuning experiance so the engine set up Im building now will better suit a solid rear end.. I do love my IRS so I figured Ill keep it and maybe pick up a Mach 1 or even a GT in the future and then swap that out that way Ill have both of best worlds.

Last edited:

MAMBA83

Established Member
i run a sra out of my old 2000 gt with a detroit trutrac and alloy racing 31 spline axles. if i could do it over again i would have used a 94-98 axle setup cause they dont sit in much more than 1/2 inch but that is all that is really needed to keep the tires from being cut in the fender.

Awesome thanks for the input Stal94gt.. that saves me some time for sure. Did you have your housing reinforced? Ive heard guys just weld there axle tubes at the housing and then that would be enough to run some serious torque.

serper3

Established Member
just curious, was this tuning experience at a particular shop?

i am especially torn with my rear end setup since i already have the 3.4 thats waiting to go on, once i get my fuel system ready for the e85. i know i will eventually build the motor once it goes, just not sure weather it will ever be possible for me to feel safe driving around with a grenade in the back, even if its worked over..

MAMBA83

Established Member
just curious, was this tuning experience at a particular shop?

i am especially torn with my rear end setup since i already have the 3.4 thats waiting to go on, once i get my fuel system ready for the e85. i know i will eventually build the motor once it goes, just not sure weather it will ever be possible for me to feel safe driving around with a grenade in the back, even if its worked over..

Particular shop yes and beware of Mustang Ranch and Shawn Ellis for tuning. I made the mistake of not resarching but then again it was suppose to be a simple tune for only 13 psi so I didnt think much.

As for your IRS I guess it dependes on how much power your planning on putting down and with that 3.4 Im guessing a lot haha.. maybe if you do some stronger axles and avoid that axle braking wheel hope you might just be ok but then you still got the question in the back of your mind "will my axles hold up?"

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a IRS on mine and I'm keeping it that way! FTBR diff bushings with a LPW cover with royal purple fluids.

My96z

Established Member
I am running a completly stock Mach 1 rear. First mod I personally did to the car. Love it! No wheelhop and its peace of mind for me. I am just running stock cobra rims on it now so I cant tell you about fatter tires and clearance. Eventually I will go anniversary rims with 17x10's on the back.

Ukfox89

Established Member
Love my IRS no wheel hop, only if it spins in second which it doesnt often do. and the back looks a million times better with the exhaust. sounds like you need to sell your cobra and buy a gt or mach.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my plan is a 99-04 sra and stiff it with 31 spline stuff, tru trac, probably 4:10 gears... i want to retain the abs and stock axle ends, etc.

i have thrown alot of money at my irs, and it runs real good and is greatly improved from stock, but i want to be able to maximized straight line traction and acceleration.

but so far believe it or not the toughest part is finding a new housing! nobody will build one for me lol, so guess i will have to find one out of a boneyard.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I bought my cobra with a 94-98 style solid axle. Swapped it out immediately for a low mileage IRS setup with bushings and LPW cover.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Strange Engineering 9", Eibach drag springs w/air bag, QA1 adjs. shocks, MM upper & lower control arms, 4:30 gears, 28" tall M&H 325 DR (going to 28" 335 next spring.) , quater panel lips rolled. Picking-up an aluminum 3rd member this winter. SRA for the serious WIN!!!!!!!!!!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
LOL at guys who honestly think SRA is better...........

seriously, get out from the stone ages. There is a reason why all real sports car's have it

Users who are viewing this thread