what oil pump are you turbo cobras going with?

-lockdown-

Established Member
well like the tittle says, what oil pump are you built turbo cobras using??.thanks for your help..

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

my motor has an upgraded MMR, which I don't know if it is a MMR unit or some other unit with MMR gears, but I do know they have failed and I will be putting in the melling most likely.

TRBO VNM

so the mmr oil pump are no good. mmr says thats the same oil pump they used in there 2000hp car....

I honestly don't know. I am just going by others experience. the pump may be ok and it might be the gears that fail. I don't know and haven't researched it, but I know there have been some failures of one or the other recently. I am going to be changing my oil pan soon and since I am there I will swap it all out to be on the safe side. I might even use a ford unit.

Blown02

Established Member
ive been using a mmr cryo oil pump for over a year now.. no problems here.. runnin at 815rwhp.. soon to be much more..
on a side note i have heard of SEVERAL mmr pumps failing recently.. though mmr denies everything, i think they had a bad batch.

TRBO VNM

TRBO VNM, wich oil pump are you going use wen you change your oil pan...

right now I am leaning towards the melling. I used one in my fox body with great success. It will either be that or I think ford motorsports has one I might use. one of those 2.

Blown02, good to hear you haven't had problems.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
TRBO VNM said:
my motor has an upgraded MMR, which I don't know if it is a MMR unit or some other unit with MMR gears, but I do know they have failed and I will be putting in the melling most likely.

LOL, for the record the MMR pumps are fine, out of over 8000 Units sold ONLY 3 have broken in the last 4 years, 2 of which were installed by the same shop, yes you read that right, the same shop (coincidence-HECK NO!)on motors that they built themself and when we asked the shop to return the oil pumps to see what happened they REFUSED and started a bunch of rumors making people think numerous pumps have failed, well it turns out only 1 has really ever failed, it turned out both engines failed not the pumps and the pump sucked up the debris and the pump gears have no where to go but fracture (this would happen if it was a billet gear or a MMR race gear)! The only other pump ever broken was by Joey Bridge of Bridge racing in 2005, they had been experimenting with 0 weight oil and had a failure after the car spun the tires at a race and was pedaled a few times trying to get the car to hook back up again, we immediately offered to replace the pump for them no questions asked even though it was a test. This is our policy for any pump if it was ever to break. We stand behind them 100% and use the same exact pump in our 2000 HP racecar and have never had a single failure! The dealer that purchsed and installed those pumps has since been cut off (who we will not name because we would like to think we are a better group of guys than them to spread rumors).To prove a point we invite anyone (other than the 2 listed above) that has broken a MMR oil pump to post here!

MMR
www.modularmustangracing.com
clip.jpg

TRBO VNM

Modular Racing said:
LOL, for the record the MMR pumps are fine, out of over 8000 Units sold ONLY 3 have broken in the last 4 years, 2 of which were installed by the same shop, yes you read that right, the same shop (coincidence-HECK NO!)on motors that they built themself and when we asked the shop to return the oil pumps to see what happened they REFUSED and started a bunch of rumors making people think numerous pumps have failed, well it turns out only 1 has really ever failed, it turned out both engines failed not the pumps and the pump sucked up the debris and the pump gears have no where to go but fracture (this would happen if it was a billet gear or a MMR race gear)! The only other pump ever broken was by Joey Bridge of Bridge racing in 2005, they had been experimenting with 0 weight oil and had a failure after the car spun the tires at a race and was pedaled a few times trying to get the car to hook back up again, we immediately offered to replace the pump for them no questions asked even though it was a test. This is our policy for any pump if it was ever to break. We stand behind them 100% and use the same exact pump in our 2000 HP racecar and have never had a single failure! The dealer that purchsed and installed those pumps has since been cut off (who we will not name because we would like to think we are a better group of guys than them to spread rumors).To prove a point we invite anyone (other than the 2 listed above) that has broken a MMR oil pump to post here!

MMR
www.modularmustangracing.com
clip.jpg

sounds good. you might want to check out some other sites as well and search and post the same info.

BTW, I bought a car from someone that has your motor in it. The car was not complete and engine had never been cranked. I finished it and happy to say the compression on this motor is awesome. all cylinders are within a few psi of eachother. seems like a very solid engine, it is the mod1100. I called and spoke to Mark about it prior to buying the car.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Glad to hear it bud, as far as the other sites go we know about them and are trying to clear up these rumors and any help would be appreciated, For the record we are not mad at those people that have posted this info, after all, they only know what the shop told them, hell, we will even replace the pump for them if they sent us back the old ones so we could officially see what happened! As far as the shop that built the motors and installed the pumps was concerned it was alot easier to tell someone that the motor they built for their customer broke because of a oil pump than to tell them the truth that the motor broke and took out the oil pump!

We are here to stand behind our products and customers, we push the limits of the modular engine daily to figure out what will break next so that our customers dont have to make the same mistakes!

MMR

Blown02

Established Member
what about HPP? Ive heard of 2 or more MMR pumps failing from them.. I guess thats the shop your talking about..

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
No comment, we are not going to stoop to their level of rumors, MMR is run much more proffesionally and honestly. We can say however the supposed pumps were never returned when asked for to determine the cause - seems strange huh? Another possibility was because the pumps were tampered with and the warranty seal on the back of the pump was probably broken or removed. Its hard to say, either way there are over 8,000 of these pumps out there working perfectly and most of them in 700+ HP cars, also for the record MMR has never broken a single pump in our own 2000+ HP car-the same exact MMR pump sold all over the world!

Last edited:

Blown02

Established Member
Modular Racing said:
No comment, we are not going to stoop to their level of rumors, MMR is run much more proffesionally and honestly. We can say however the supposed pumps were never returned when asked for to determine the cause - seems strange huh? Another possibility was because the pumps were tampered with and the warranty seal on the back of the pump was probably broken or removed. Its hard to say, either way there are over 8,000 of these pumps out there working perfectly and most of them in 700+ HP cars, also for the record MMR has never broken a single pump in our own 2000+ HP car-the same exact MMR pump sold all over the world!
glad to hear it man.. Ive been running my MMR pump for over a year now, with 815rwhp..

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Blown02 said:
glad to hear it man.. Ive been running my MMR pump for over a year now, with 815rwhp..

You and about 8000+ other people over the last 5 years are in the same boat as you!

At the end of the day we are here to help people make power safely and reliably, if there was/is a problem we want to know about it to make the best selling oil pump even better! The newest versions of the MMR pump have great new features like teflon coated thrust/backing plates and 15% larger/stronger gears again to make the pump better for you guys!

We value the SVT performance guys and appreciate all of the business the members here have given us.

Thank You!

Mark Luton
Modular Mustang Racing
A division of Modular Motorsports Inc.
clip.jpg

Fuerza

Established Member
MMR it is nice to hear your comments about your oil pumps. If the other guy isn't willing to send those oil pumps back to you for inspection then something isn't right. Thanks for building great products for the Ford performance crowd.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My pleasure! I have spent the last 16 years of my life developing Modular engines and components, My wife will tell you that I eat sleep and breath Modular engines, If a part was ever to fail the first thing I want to do is find out why and how to make it better, customer service is very important to me and our employees, we may not be the best at it but we are always trying.

Mark

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Mark
I met you in FFW PHX and you seemed like a stand up guy. I think that you need to come clean and own up to the problem. It's a much BIGGER that you claim here.
Maybe if you hadn't "poofed off" your customers on these oil pump issues, you could have found out which batch of gears were processed wrong or the actual root of your problem.
You DO have a problem.

adler

Established Member
Modular Racing said:
LOL, for the record the MMR pumps are fine, out of over 8000 Units sold ONLY 3 have broken in the last 4 years, 2 of which were installed by the same shop, yes you read that right, the same shop (coincidence-HECK NO!)
Coincidence? I really doubt it. That shop that you are talking about has been opened for 7-8 years building modular motors. That shop that you are talking about has had the last 30 or so of their modular motors assembled by the same person for the past year. I have bolted on stock oil pumps & MMR cryoed oil pumps for about 15-20 of those 30 motors. Of those 30 modular motors that I put together, 2 of the oil pumps failed...... which have been MMR pumps with cryoed gears that both came in the same shipment.

The first 15-20 of those motors have not had any problems with the stock oil pumps from Ford or the MMR cryoed oil pumps. The first MMR oil pump that failed was in a motor that I assembled around December of 2006. The car had made around 10-15 pulls on the dyno when noise was heard from the front of the engine. The car was shut off, rolled onto a lift, and the engine could not be turned by hand. After the engine was pulled out, the front cover was taken off, oil pump was taken off, and that is when we noticed that the gears had shattered.

MMR was contaced and told about the situation. I did not hear the conversation, but I was told that MMR basically said that it was because of installer error. We knew that it could not have been installer error because I have been installing the pumps the same way for the last 20 or so modular engines.

I installed another MMR cryoed oil pump, from the same batch that was shipped to us around December of 2006, about 1-2 months later. But this time, the pump was used on the owner's car. About 1 1/2 months later, he was driving the car on the street, felt it lose power, looked at the oil pressure gauge, saw no oil pressure, and shut off the car. The car was towed back to the shop, pulled the engine out, pulled the front cover off, and saw the same thing....shattered gears. After then is when we decided to no longer use MMR oil pumps.

I installed those two MMR oil pumps the same way that I installed them in the last 28 or so modular motors. Those two pumps that failed were shipped to us in the winter of 2006. So I believe that it was a bad batch. Those other modular motors that have came out of the shop have never had problems with oil pump gears breaking. I have never disassembled a MMR pump because of the sticker on the back.

Modular Racing said:
As far as the shop that built the motors and installed the pumps was concerned it was alot easier to tell someone that the motor they built for their customer broke because of a oil pump than to tell them the truth that the motor broke and took out the oil pump!
It was easier to tell the customer that the motor failed because of the oil pump? THAT IS THE REASON WHY THE MOTOR FAILED, because your oil pump gears FAILED! HOW ELSE WOULD THE GEARS BREAK????? The pumps were never taken apart before they were bolted on to the engines. So how is it the shop's fault that your oil pump failed?

We used to have so much faith and swear by these cyrotreated MMR pumps until these latest failers. We used these cryoed MMR pumps on alot of modular motors if the customer was willing to pay the extra money for them. I would say that about 1/2 of the motors that I have built were assembled with the cyroed MMR pumps. It is VERY hard for me to believe that these MMR pumps have been failing due to installer error.

Again, the shop had been using MMR pumps for YEARS without any problems. Its just too bad that two of the pumps died causing some damage to the motors.

I am sure that MMR has fixed the problem by now. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread