What material... sunglass cleaning rag

N A Rush

Established Member
What material is the cleaning rag you get with a pair of higher end sunglasses. I have looked and asked but no one really seems to know.

I would like to line the sunglass holder in the L with the material so the high density foam in the holder wont scratch my expensive (to me) sunglasses.

Thanks...

straightliner1

Established Member
What about those fluffy terry cloth towels they sell for car detailing? Buy a white one and dye it grey or black so it won't stand out.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
go to costco, pick up their cleaning kit it comes with 2 glasses cleaning cloths and 3 bottles of solution and free refils as long as you bring the bottles of cleaning solution back. all for $5. I use this to clean my metal polarized oakleys. If not go to any sunglasses hut and pick up a set. I use it to

N A Rush

Established Member
Are there different grades of microfiber?
I ask because the mircofiber I have to clean the windshield with is much rougher than the swaths I have with the sunglasses.

I was hoping to pick up a yard of the material to completely line the compartment. I was thinking it would require at least 4 separate swaths which would requiring seaming them together, just didnt think that would look as nice as one larger piece after going through all the trouble of redoing the interior.

At first I was thinking of using a leftover piece of suede and line it with that.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are there different grades of microfiber?
I ask because the mircofiber I have to clean the windshield with is much rougher than the swaths I have with the sunglasses.

There are as many different grades of Microfiber as there are microfiber manufacturers.

The extremely fine soft feeling ones for lens cleaning are specific to that purpose. Just like the ones for cars come in a variety of weaves and number of rows per inch. Some I have for wiping off water after a wash (waffle weave), some are for wiping off quick detail spray, and some are for buffing off wax or sealant.

Get the type made for cleaning glasses and you should be fine.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The fiber is pretty much the same as what they give you when you buy a flat screen tv.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
when i run w/ my oakleys and they get all sweaty i just rinse em off and use reg old bar soap then shake em and let them air dry. comes out flawless everytime.

txyaloo

Established Member
I just purchased 3 large screens and I don't remember a cleaning rag in the boxes. I will have to look again. All three were Samsungs (63, 47, & 42 inch).

It's not only you. :lol: I've never seen one. I did get a decent sized one with my iPad. It would probably fit in the glasses holder.

BlueVenom281

Lurking
Established Member
Sunglass Hut sells a great kit that includes a spray solution and polishing cloth. It costs around 10 bucks. I use it all the time on my shades, they come out perfect every time.

N A Rush

Established Member
It's not only you. :lol: I've never seen one. I did get a decent sized one with my iPad. It would probably fit in the glasses holder.

Did the double check thing this evening, no joy!

I wonder if Apple is selling those separately?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I just purchased 3 large screens and I don't remember a cleaning rag in the boxes. I will have to look again. All three were Samsungs (63, 47, & 42 inch).

dang.

maybe you got the one i took back to best buy; i didnt put the MF cloth back in the box.......

qurtrn10

Established Member
go to costco, pick up their cleaning kit it comes with 2 glasses cleaning cloths and 3 bottles of solution and free refils as long as you bring the bottles of cleaning solution back. all for $5. I use this to clean my metal polarized oakleys. If not go to any sunglasses hut and pick up a set. I use it to

As an optician who works for Costco, I appreciate your recommendation. :beer:
I used to work at the Costco optical in Jax - go and pick up an optical care kit there. It'll be the exact same quality as the Oakley brand, you'll spend half the price on it, and you'll get free refills for as long as you own your bottles.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
As an optician who works for Costco, I appreciate your recommendation. :beer:
I used to work at the Costco optical in Jax - go and pick up an optical care kit there. It'll be the exact same quality as the Oakley brand, you'll spend half the price on it, and you'll get free refills for as long as you own your bottles.

Anytime man,I always get my eye exams there. Costco has some quality stuff that they put theie name on. Plus cant beat the return policy. Also the Cloths that come with it are pretty decent sized, enough that you would be able to line your sunglass holder. If not theres 2 in there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have pre-moistened clothes to clean my glasses as it does a great job removing debris or film without smudging it. But if you're looking to actually line your eyeglasses case go with the softest microfiber cloth you can find. A soft felt material with work fine, too. That's what lines my eyeglass case.

N A Rush

Established Member
But if you're looking to actually line your eyeglasses case go with the softest microfiber cloth you can find. A soft felt material with work fine, too. That's what lines my eyeglass case.

I was orginially thinking of lining it with the same suede material that I am going to use on the headliner.

Users who are viewing this thread