What MAF are you using?

CobraMac

Established Member
So I know a lot of you guys are putting out a lot of different numbers, but I'm just wondering what MAF everyone is using. Throw in your input as well! Thanks!

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I have a C&L 95mm MAF housing with an SCT2400 sensor installed and I also have a MAFia. I think that the C&L housing is actually part of the HP kit because I've seen many HP turbo'd Cobras with the same MAF housing. I'm not really 100% sure because I didn't install the kit on the car, I bought it with it installed. It suits the kit perfectly and looks great. I have the MAFia because the 2400 started getting close to pegged around the 650+rwhp range (or so AED said).

Here are some pics:

relay.jpg

fusiblelink.jpg

CIMG2944.jpg

Engine isn't going to look like this much longer, finally putting in my fully built one in august! Engine bay is going to look very different :)

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
All of the suggestions out there will. I came out with my housings to go with the HPX sensor because I wanted to offer a turnkey solution that did not require putting parts and pieces together (XX housing, XX sensor, and MAFIA to keep it from pegging).

The HPX is good for around 650RWHP in a 75MM ID tube (3") and 750-800rwhp in an 83MM ID tube (3.25"), so it covers most applications, you can run a 4" tube if you are going to make 1000+RWHP but I don't recommend that on street cars as the signal is not very clean when you have that big of a tube in blowthrough (works fine in suck through though).

The 05+ slot-style maf sensor, which is what the HPX is, works great in blow-through due to its design, and I now have a harness to make it plug and play with 96-04 cars.

I tuned a mach 1 on low boost with the HP kit that supplies the 95MM housing, it really worked pretty well at 7psi, but once we turned up the boost the stock maf sensor pegged and we did not have great results with the mafia either, so we went to an HPX sensor in a 3" tube, plenty of range and a cleaner signal due to reduced turbulence of the big tube.

Running the old tonsil style Lightning and cobra sensors in blow-through works, and I still make flanges for them, but they peg relatively early and don't provide as clean of a signal as the 05+ slot style meters.

The shelby meter with a mafia is actually not a good idea if you hope to make more than about 500RWHP and are using a 3" tube (most intercooler tubing is this size), the 05+ meters have an internal voltage output limit of 6v so the mafia only works up to setting 3, this is where the HPX comes in, its already calibrated with a ton of range so no mafia is needed, and if you need more range you can easily get to 800rwhp in a 3" tube with a mafia.

Tube size plays a huge role in signal quality and range, as you go in tube size, range goes up, but turbulence also goes up and therefore signal quality goes down. Also, if you have a 90mm lightning maf sensor, with a 3" tube in, and a 3" tube out, even with 2-6" worth of transition, the 90MM L maf sensor will still act like its in a 3" tube and the range will be greatly reduced and there will be a lot of turbulence from the size changes.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
The shelby meter with a mafia is actually not a good idea if you hope to make more than about 500RWHP and are using a 3" tube (most intercooler tubing is this size), the 05+ meters have an internal voltage output limit of 6v so the mafia only works up to setting 3, this is where the HPX comes in, its already calibrated with a ton of range so no mafia is needed, and if you need more range you can easily get to 800rwhp in a 3" tube with a mafia.

Tube size plays a huge role in signal quality and range, as you go in tube size, range goes up, but turbulence also goes up and therefore signal quality goes down. Also, if you have a 90mm lightning maf sensor, with a 3" tube in, and a 3" tube out, even with 2-6" worth of transition, the 90MM L maf sensor will still act like its in a 3" tube and the range will be greatly reduced and there will be a lot of turbulence from the size changes.

I have my shelby meter in a 3.5" tube, and the maf counts are clean at idle. They weren't in a 4" tube though. Once I get my motor issues figured out, I will be able to tell how much power that MAF set up can make.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have my shelby meter in a 3.5" tube, and the maf counts are clean at idle. They weren't in a 4" tube though. Once I get my motor issues figured out, I will be able to tell how much power that MAF set up can make.

The 3.5" tube makes a big difference, I did a turbo 5.4l 4v lightning years ago that made 700-750rwhp with a 3.5in tube, shelby/gt/v6 meter and mafia on 3. Of course that would be 650-700rwhp on an SC.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Get the PMAS HPX MAF with the '05 slot style housing. If Greg's making well over 1000 RWHP with his and it's doing him fine, it's good enough for me. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread