What is the best daily driver S/C to run on the Coyote?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Centrifugal blowers are ok but really require a gear change which can hurt you MPG as it is DD that may or may not be important to you. Also if you take long trips with a loud exhaust you could dislike the gear change also. You might like the blower whistle all the time or you may get tired of it.

PD- The TVS is going to offer better fuel economy over the Twin screws and less heat at closed throttle and cruising situations. (Due to TS compressing the air all the time).

Between the Whipple and Kenne Bell I've started to lean towards the Whipple simply because of the ease of maintenance. Sight glass and oil changes. They will make a lot of power with plenty of room to grow.

I'd probably go either TVS or Turbo personally.

Maybe on a 2v or a 3v, the gear ratios on the new cars are much different than previous years, the auto's are ridiculous with a 4.17 first gear, and manual's have a 3.66

No need for a gear change imo

Most auto guys that have done gear swaps end up going back down

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I've got a graph showing how a Paxton is down by about 130 lb/ft at 3000 rpm compared to a PD blower. In DD mode low rpm torque is where it's at.. no need to wring its neck to make it go.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I always amazes me when I see dyno numbers how low the torque output is on the centrifugals compared to the PDs (when comparing pound for pound). Centrifugals make more top end HP by a little, but the PDs create substantially more torque.

As with anything, the torque "deficiency" can be masked with other modifications, e.g. gear changes.

As discussed, PDs can have heat soak issues in hot climates, but this can also be mitigated with larger intercoolers -- some have built in fans.

Depending on the size of the intercooler, you have to modify the inside of the front valance, particularly the CS valance. This seems to be more an issue for the PD blowers.

PD blowers are generally cheaper and easier to install.

Last edited:

wazslow

Established Member
I've got a graph showing how a Paxton is down by about 130 lb/ft at 3000 rpm compared to a PD blower. In DD mode low rpm torque is where it's at.. no need to wring its neck to make it go.

I can't use the first 2 gears and sometimes even 3rd gear because of wheel spin with my Paxton car and thats with only 3.31 gears. Why would I want more torque in a daily driven street car?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I can't use the first 2 gears and sometimes even 3rd gear because of wheel spin with my Paxton car and thats with only 3.31 gears. Why would I want more torque in a daily driven street car?

I tell people this all the time,

you have everything you need in these cars.

it's not a 2v or 3v, these cars make a ton right out of the gate

CPRsm

A sticky tire on a weekend car is great. Not so great on a true daily driver. My Paxton blown 2013 is the only car I have. Snow/rain/whatever i drive it to work. That gets old on a drag radial when it rains.
PFT!! Rule 76. No excuses, play like a champion suckah lol

CPRsm

I know I know. But what is this snow you speak of? (says the guy from Kalifornia) Drag radials FO LIFE!! Lol

$64,000 question now that you've had a centri. Which do you prefer?

Once drove a 01 SS camaro that made just north of 900lbs of tq. It had the bone ass stock tires..... Really fun lol.
Yeah we did that in Shannons car. Roasted the tires at 80 on the freeway lol
He gots to get SOMETHING on those 20's for spirited driving.

Last edited:

by9468840

Established Member
This is 90% of the reason why most people buy them. It is attractive to save $1500 compared to next cheapest pd blower and knowing you will have some dyno run reaching 600hp towards the end of your rpm range. I know because I almost did the same because of wrong reasons. Ended up buying two roush tvs and can't be happier! I can't understand why people are so happy with not having any boost under 3k rpm and cover it up with a lame excuse like " I love the gradual boost build up and it's easy on engine internals..." Just admit it everyone. You are only buying them because of amazing deals offered by bbr, jpc etc. :nono:

If you are drag racing yeah maybe buy centri or even turbo. If mostly DD PD blower is the best. It also looks so damn good under the hood! (Someone please post a pic of paxton or worse, pro charger next to a roush tvs! And you will all see)

QUOTE=wazslow;13022660]The Paxton/Vortech kit is significantly cheaper than and PD blower kit out there for these cars.[/QUOTE]

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
What's really the issue with buying F/I based on price? I have been in the "fast car" world for nearly 17 years, and for every guy out there with a definite plan (and the depth of budget) to make some super badass 900whp+ street king, capable of running with other highly modded cars; there are ten guys who just want a power-adder of some kind, just so they won't get scotched by that guy in the turboed Civic at the light, or embarrassed by that kid who's driving his father's chipped BMW 335i.

I myself am saving up just for this reason. I don't need to hang with heavily modified midnight streetracer C6 Z06's or modded GT500s. I just want a car that will impress my non-fast-car-owning friends, and will be quicker than most everything else on the road. A 550-600rwhp 5.0? That's pretty much going to fit the bill. I currently have my eye on getting Justin over at VMP to Roushify my car early next year.

Last edited:

zemog255

Established Member
This is 90% of the reason why most people buy them. It is attractive to save $1500 compared to next cheapest pd blower and knowing you will have some dyno run reaching 600hp towards the end of your rpm range. I know because I almost did the same because of wrong reasons. Ended up buying two roush tvs and can't be happier! I can't understand why people are so happy with not having any boost under 3k rpm and cover it up with a lame excuse like " I love the gradual boost build up and it's easy on engine internals..." Just admit it everyone. You are only buying them because of amazing deals offered by bbr, jpc etc. :nono:

If you are drag racing yeah maybe buy centri or even turbo. If mostly DD PD blower is the best. It also looks so damn good under the hood! (Someone please post a pic of paxton or worse, pro charger next to a roush tvs! And you will all see)

QUOTE=wazslow;13022660]The Paxton/Vortech kit is significantly cheaper than and PD blower kit out there for these cars.
[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a stock converter auto and you're at the the drag strip. When do you ever start a race below 3k rpms?

Looks are subjective but the TVS doesn't stand out at all to me out of any of the blowers available. Turbos are the only think that make most people stop and look.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member

QUOTE=wazslow;13022660]The Paxton/Vortech kit is significantly cheaper than and PD blower kit out there for these cars.
[/QUOTE]

Did the automatic car that you drive with the vortech had a circle D or any type of performance converter installed? Who tuned the car? There are a lot of things to consider before we start making judgments like you are.
Each power adder has its pros and cons even with the P.D. for daily driving get extremelly HOT in the summer time and you lose a lot of torque and HP for street driving(and that instant hit) which doesn't happen in the same way with the centrifugals or turbos with the air to air intercooler and placement of the centri. blowers closer to the radiator and not on top of the P.D. intake manifold cooking 24/7 like a roasted chicken. Also, smaller P.D blowers aka 2.1 and 2.3L run hot hooter naturally to produce each pound of boost when compared to bigger 2.9L one because the rotors have to spin faster and harder and heat comes with that and so does heat soak.

Also, remember that a centri or turbo will beat the roush on top end usually after 3rd gear will start gaining on them and will pull hard on the roush after that if same boost is considered with this 5 liter engine. This is a 4 valve motor with 32 valves that benefit the most from power and torque that is added in the high rpm range between 4-7k where the High rpm cams are working at its best and powerful range and opening its 32 valves to be stuffed with boosted air from a turbine not a mid range blower that won't provide enough air like it should up there. 2.9L, 3.4L and
4L P.D. are big blowers and a different story but not these small 2.1L and 2.3L ones. They won't provide enough for the 5 liter plataform thus will ROB a lot of HP in order to give your engine HP back, period.

These engines like to be spun high and hard so the low/mid. rpm instant boost that the roush and edelbrock provide them with is not going to be effective like a belt driven or exhaust turbine and you might gain a small lead in a race but will end up losing badly as the race goes on..

If we were driving 5 liter pushrod engines that only spin to 5500 rpm and suffer from valvetrain stability after that I would say go for the PD blowers but no, not with the new 5 liter engine, those need paxtons, vortechs and turbos if you want to win races, especially in the highways like they mostly race in europe.

I disagree with you!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread