What is the best daily driver S/C to run on the Coyote?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
This is 90% of the reason why most people buy them. It is attractive to save $1500 compared to next cheapest pd blower and knowing you will have some dyno run reaching 600hp towards the end of your rpm range. I know because I almost did the same because of wrong reasons. Ended up buying two roush tvs and can't be happier! I can't understand why people are so happy with not having any boost under 3k rpm and cover it up with a lame excuse like " I love the gradual boost build up and it's easy on engine internals..." Just admit it everyone. You are only buying them because of amazing deals offered by bbr, jpc etc. :nono:

If you are drag racing yeah maybe buy centri or even turbo. If mostly DD PD blower is the best. It also looks so damn good under the hood! (Someone please post a pic of paxton or worse, pro charger next to a roush tvs! And you will all see)

QUOTE=wazslow;13022660]The Paxton/Vortech kit is significantly cheaper than and PD blower kit out there for these cars.

The centri is more efficient than roots & twin screw. Turbos are even more efficient. I see more turbo cars from the factory than pd cars, but pd is a better daily you say? Explain why? The instatorque from a pd would blow the tires off of a daily driven car from a dead stop, unless you're a baller & run drag radials for your daily driver. You can feather the pd car, but where's the benefit of the pd blower now? The added heat? You're basing your answer off of an opinion. A properly set up centri blower car will be just as good, if not better than a pd blower car. The same thing can be said for a turbo car. Most issues with centri & turbo cars is the tuner &/or install.

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
This is 90% of the reason why most people buy them. It is attractive to save $1500 compared to next cheapest pd blower and knowing you will have some dyno run reaching 600hp towards the end of your rpm range. I know because I almost did the same because of wrong reasons. Ended up buying two roush tvs and can't be happier! I can't understand why people are so happy with not having any boost under 3k rpm and cover it up with a lame excuse like " I love the gradual boost build up and it's easy on engine internals..." Just admit it everyone. You are only buying them because of amazing deals offered by bbr, jpc etc. :nono:

If you are drag racing yeah maybe buy centri or even turbo. If mostly DD PD blower is the best. It also looks so damn good under the hood! (Someone please post a pic of paxton or worse, pro charger next to a roush tvs! And you will all see)

QUOTE=wazslow;13022660]The Paxton/Vortech kit is significantly cheaper than and PD blower kit out there for these cars.
[/QUOTE]

That's some funny $hit, but I think TRUE to some extent.

What's really the issue with buying F/I based on price? I have been in the "fast car" world for nearly 17 years, and for every guy out there with a definite plan (and the depth of budget) to make some super badass 900whp+ street king, capable of running with other highly modded cars; there are ten guys who just want a power-adder of some kind, just so they won't get scotched by that guy in the turboed Civic at the light, or embarrassed by that kid who's driving his father's chipped BMW 335i.

I myself am saving up just for this reason. I don't need to hang with heavily modified midnight streetracer C6 Z06's or modded GT500s. I just want a car that will impress my non-fast-car-owning friends, and will be quicker than most everything else on the road. A 550-600rwhp 5.0? That's pretty much going to fit the bill. I currently have my eye on getting Justin over at VMP to Roushify my car early next year.

Also I think has a lot of truth to it. That is partly true in my case also. I like the bragging rights, and showing my car at local events.
RC

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Also, consider the heat exchangers utilized in the setups. In stop & go traffic, or just regular traffic, do you think a air-to-water HE will be more efficient or air-to-air? Procharger uses air-to-air. Water retains heat alot more than air...but it also has a higher cooling capacity. In order to cool properly you need a sufficient amount of air to transfer the heat. Lacking air flow in regular traffic would cause IATs to climb in air-to-water compared to air-to-air. At the track, cruising on the interstate, road courses, etc. would be better suited for air-to-water.

If you're worried about temps, run a centri with meth on top TO LOWER IATs only, not to run more aggressive timing. You'll see the best temperatures from a centri setup with meth to cool the iats down. This is for a daily driver.

I chose to use a procharger on my raptor over a roots or twin screw due to me living in NOLA & the high temps & high humidity. It also sounds cooler imo. I was going to do rear mount turbos, but I preferred the procharger sound.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

a paxton / vortech with a boss intake looks pretty sexy under the hood.

as far as "lame excuse", what excuse would that be? Being too quick?

The paxton kits are the least expensive, and have more power potential than any of the entry level s/c kits out there,

you can make 1000+ rwhp out of them. There is nothing lacking about them other than not draining your wallet

Hugerush

Established Member
I had (okay, maybe still have, its in the storage unit) a 90 Supercoupe, which has a factory intercooled (air to air) roots type supercharged 3.8 V6. It is a great engine. The power however, is on the BOTTOM. Big time. Made long before traction control, rain and a heavy foot meant facing the other way. Snow, no way, no how. But, never the less, drove it everyday! For a heavy car it scoots and it’s a blast to drive (even though I don’t anymore).

I have almost bought a Paxton for my 13 GT Vert a dozen times in the past few weeks. I was caught up in the price wars for sure.

It has taken me a time or two to come to grips with the fact that, now that I make good money, I am fulfilling all the wishes I had when I was a teenager (call it a mid life crisis, I don’t care). One of those wishes was a Mustang Convertible. The other was TWIN TURBOS (maybe not on the Mustang back then but whatever).

I remember the first time I rode a Yamaha SECA 650 Turbo of my buddies and nearly lost it in a corner when the boost hit (after a small lag). I was hooked on the idea.

I am going twin Hellions next fall (I liked Judas Priest back then too).

My point being, you can spin in any way you want, but do what makes you smile!

BTW – If Bucket reads this; I would like to see your car next time I am in Savannah.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
What kind of low end torque numbers are we really talking about with the Paxton/Vortech kits? Surely it's a lot more than stock + minor boltons right? I actually like more mid range and top end power...Seems like it's more usable...I already have traction issues when I stomp the gas from a slow roll anyways (I've got 410whp maybe?)...I'm good with a gradual, increasing linear powerband that comes on after 3k...

goat-ee

Established Member
I have owned a Kenne Bell car and currently own a Hellion turbo car. I have been around and driven more than a few centri cars. While i'm not an expert, I do feel I can speak on the subject.

The turbo is hands down the torque and horsepower champion...end of story!! Any argument is by someone that doesn't know the difference or is lying. Clearance issues, heating issues, maintenance issues, pricing? All legit arguments, but still the best for HP. But likely not the best answer for a true daily driver.

TVS, Kenne Bell, Whipple has to be the answer for a daily driver or automatic car. Instant boost and essentially zero maintenance. Maybe not the total HP car, but still 10 second capable. The intake temperature issues are completely overblown. If you want to do multiple runs back to back to back to back, yea you might have a problem. Otherwise spend the $ and kick some serious a$$!!!

Centri is fine for drag racing, manual transmissions, very high stall torque convertor automatics, and guys who like to run a bunch of RPM to feel the power. I don't have much use for one on my stock stall auto. I want to feel the torque kicking me in the butt anytime, anywhere. Not just in high RPM situations.

goat-ee

Established Member
I have owned a Kenne Bell car and currently own a Hellion turbo car. I have been around and driven more than a few centri cars. While i'm not an expert, I do feel I can speak on the subject.

The turbo is hands down the torque and horsepower champion...end of story!! Any argument is by someone that doesn't know the difference or is lying. Clearance issues, heating issues, maintenance issues, pricing? All legit arguments, but still the best for HP. But likely not the best answer for a true daily driver.

TVS, Kenne Bell, Whipple has to be the answer for a daily driver or automatic car. Instant boost and essentially zero maintenance. Maybe not the total HP car, but still 10 second capable. The intake temperature issues are completely overblown. If you want to do multiple runs back to back to back to back, yea you might have a problem. Otherwise spend the $ and kick some serious a$$!!!

Centri is fine for drag racing, manual transmissions, very high stall torque convertor automatics, and guys who like to run a bunch of RPM to feel the power. I don't have much use for one on my stock stall auto. I want to feel the torque kicking me in the butt anytime, anywhere. Not just in high RPM situations.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Paxton kit +a converter = hands down the best $6000 option on the market for a 5.0. With the right tuning with light throttle shift changes you will barely notice a higher stall TC is there during daily driving. Trust me I've had a circle D on trucks which are way heavier than a mustang and with the right tuning you will not notice it until you go WOT.

With that being said a TC on a Paxton 5.0 will break you tvs fan boys hearts because that beloved low end tq will be nullified leaving you scratching your heads. Don't get me wrong they are bad little blowers but are hp limited....why do you think all the big boys use at least 2.9L whipples.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Paxton kit +a converter = hands down the best $6000 option on the market for a 5.0. With the right tuning with light throttle shift changes you will barely notice a higher stall TC is there during daily driving. Trust me I've had a circle D on trucks which are way heavier than a mustang and with the right tuning you will not notice it until you go WOT.

With that being said a TC on a Paxton 5.0 will break you tvs fan boys hearts because that beloved low end tq will be nullified leaving you scratching your heads. Don't get me wrong they are bad little blowers but are hp limited....why do you think all the big boys use at least 2.9L whipples.

the 2.9 whipples can't really keep up either, not at the same weight

me and chris cruz had almost identical weights in fl last year

the 2.9 and 100 shot was good for 9.4's while i was running 9.3's with the blower only

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Throwing my 2 cents in since I've owned all four common setups at on time or another (PD's, centri's, turbo's, nitrous).

Just admit it everyone. You are only buying them because of amazing deals offered by bbr, jpc etc

Absolutely true, hard to argue many are buying Paxton's primarily because it's usually the cheapest/easiest way to big baller status. Doesn't make it a bad choice, but price is the #1 driver for many IMO. They don't make torque off-idle like a PD blower so IMO wasn't as much fun when just driving around. Realistically I spend very little time at full throttle so constant "on the pipe" feeling of a PD unit is more addictive to me. That being said, the centri (Vortech) setup was plenty fast for what it was and sounded like it had 1000hp with the constant gear whine.

Absolutely true. So easy to make big power and a broad torque curve with a turbo setup. But also much easier to wreck a motor without proper engine management since boost/heat/etc. can spike so easily. The only way to wreck a motor quicker is with nitrous:) I you don't have a good tune/tuner available, I'd look at something else.

A question I always had is why don't auto manufactures almost ever go with a centri type setup as opposed to a PD blower or turbo? I can't imagine Vortech, Paxton or ProCharger wouldn't be happy to oblige.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Throwing my 2 cents in since I've owned all four common setups at on time or another (PD's, centri's, turbo's, nitrous).

Absolutely true, hard to argue many are buying Paxton's primarily because it's usually the cheapest/easiest way to big baller status. Doesn't make it a bad choice, but price is the #1 driver for many IMO. They don't make torque off-idle like a PD blower so IMO wasn't as much fun when just driving around. Realistically I spend very little time at full throttle so constant "on the pipe" feeling of a PD unit is more addictive to me. That being said, the centri (Vortech) setup was plenty fast for what it was and sounded like it had 1000hp with the constant gear whine.

Absolutely true. So easy to make big power and a broad torque curve with a turbo setup. But also much easier to wreck a motor without proper engine management since boost/heat/etc. can spike so easily. The only way to wreck a motor quicker is with nitrous:) I you don't have a good tune/tuner available, I'd look at something else.

A question I always had is why don't auto manufactures almost ever go with a centri type setup as opposed to a PD blower or turbo? I can't imagine Vortech, Paxton or ProChargers wouldn't be happy to oblige.

60-100K warranty. Eaton and turbos are well tested, I'm not implying the newer breed of centris isnt just as reliable but OEs take the safe route when they have to pay to fix it :)

chao5.0

Established Member

A question I always had is why don't auto manufactures almost ever go with a centri type setup as opposed to a PD blower or turbo? I can't imagine Vortech, Paxton or ProChargers wouldn't be happy to oblige.

i agree with this, all of this. a centri is good if you like to run it into the upper rpms alot. the PD or TS blowers are more suited for DD for me because it will have that instant power from boost, i hardly take this car in the high rpm range and have only raced this car 6 times (maybe) in 10 months. the turbo will win hands down, but it is also the trickiest of the 3 because there is so much to getting it "right", but when its right man is it fun. if you like drag racing and want the "cheaper" simple setup go with the centri, its proven and it'll work just fine because you'll always be in the upper rpms therefor in the boost. i want my car to perform in the entire rpm range so i've been looking at TS and turbos mainly but i don't rule out the centri because it is such a good deal.

460cidpower

Established Member
I don't have my Paxton yet, but I've always wondered what the real world DD MPG difference is between roots/screw/turbo/centrifugal.

Right now my track pack GT with 3.73s and 6 speed gets ~24MPG to get me to work each day. (60MPH on cruise control)

Is this semi-accurate?:
turbo = +1 or +2 MPG
centrifugal = stock or -1 MPG
roots/screw =-1 or -2 MPG

Last edited:

CPRsm

I'd say N/A might be best depending on gears. But I just got 23.5 on drag radials at 75-80mph. Anything mpg related has always been turbo or N/A that I can think of.

JerryC

Established Member
I don't have my Paxton yet, but I've always wondered what the real world DD MPG difference is between roots/screw/turbo/centrifugal.

Right now my track pack GT with 3.73s and 6 speed gets ~24MPG to get me to work each day. (60MPH on cruise control)

Is this semi-accurate?:
turbo = +1 or +2 MPG
centrifugal = stock or -1 MPG
roots/screw =-1 or -2 MPG

There is no measurable difference on my car between stock and with the TVS. The TVS is in bypass mode when not in boost, it puts almost no extra load on the engine.

RC-5.0

Established Member

A question I always had is why don't auto manufactures almost ever go with a centri type setup as opposed to a PD blower or turbo? I can't imagine Vortech, Paxton or ProCharger wouldn't be happy to oblige.

I had Vortech on my 94 AODE with PI Stallion converter and 373s. Made almost 400HP :lol:
RC

Users who are viewing this thread