What happened to races on the street?

robvas

Established Member
Maybe I'm old. Theres an unwritten code that I've always followed.

If you run into another car on the street, you either slow down a little bit to get traffic to get ahead of you, to give you some room to run, or you get ahead of traffic. Then you get going roughly the same speed. You line up with the other guy, honk it off, or yell 1-2-3 go, give them the hit...whatever you do.

The last couple guys I have ran into...

2024 Mustang GT, kid wouldn't even look over. We were on a one way for over a mile, all the room in the world. We hit a light and got mixed up with a little traffic. A couple minutes later he does a ricer fly by that a only Honda Civic would be proud of, swerving in front of me, right when we get "into town" and there's stores, traffic, etc

Then today, i come across a loudass Charger and he just floors it weaving through cars, we go to the highway and before I can even get close to him he starts passing people on the shoulder. I took the first exit because I'm not being part of that bullshit or getting my plate called in.

Just floor it when you see another car even though they aren't even next to you. Doesn't make any sense. Do these people go home thinking they "won"?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Glad I lived through the heyday of muscle cars. Back in the 70's, it was ALL about street racing. Hangin' out in the shopping centers with hundreds of hot rods and muscle cars. Races to be had at the drop of a hat. The cops NEVER bothered us. Every night was like the 'American Graffiti' movie. It was unreal.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I never took any street racing seriously. I'm sure as hell never going to beep my horn or scream out the window to initiate it. It's fun to mess around with other cars, but I always kept it fun on the road. Either stop lights or line up on the go and initiate it old west quick draw style. Haha
If I want to race for real, I go to the 1/4 mile. No fast and furious games, no street outlawz bickering over head starts, none of that gay shit.

LS WUT

Established Member
I agree. It’s been few and far between down here. I’ll say that I get more races with Porsche 911 Turbo’s than I do half the cars or people my age. Don’t get me wrong I still get my licks in with a few cars these days.

I can’t throw to many shots at roll racing because that’s generally what people give me.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Glad I lived through the heyday of muscle cars. Back in the 70's, it was ALL about street racing. Hangin' out in the shopping centers with hundreds of hot rods and muscle cars. Races to be had at the drop of a hat. The cops NEVER bothered us. Every night was like the 'American Graffiti' movie. It was unreal.
I feel like those days ended back in the late 2000's. Whenever we would hang out with our cars in parking lots, the cops would show up to run us out. I feel like those glory days are over. It seems like the closest thing to it is cars and coffee.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm not interested in racing so I typically ignore the other car if they're showing off, but I don't go and do something to try and provoke them either like weave or pass illegally. I'm just trying to get home lol. I rarely see cars race anymore and the last one I saw was 2 or 3 weeks ago between an M4 I see every day on the trip home against an LC500. They both slowed traffic and punched it for an 1/8 mile or so before pulling into a parking lot to chat and blow each other I assume.

Last edited:

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I feel like those days ended back in the late 2000's. Whenever we would hang out with our cars in parking lots, the cops would show up to run us out. I feel like those glory days are over. It seems like the closest thing to it is cars and coffee.
The sweet spot was definitely 2003ish. Ls1s, terminators, fox body's everywhere. Around the time drag radials hit the scene too

01yellercobra

Established Member
The only races I get anymore are from people I know. We'll have a group cruising somewhere and there's usually some racing mixed in.

The guys mentioned in the OP are just asshats. They probably think they're faster than everyone and no one is worth their time or fuel.

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The sweet spot was definitely 2003ish. Ls1s, terminators, fox body's everywhere. Around the time drag radials hit the scene too
Ahh yes... the early 2000's. Good times. Even up to 2009ish really.

Can't leave out the Mach 1s, Lightnings, 96-98 Cobras, C5s, WRX/STI and Srt4s. They were in there mixing it up with us too.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
What can you expect from this younger messed up generation?

Half of the males think they are women and want to compete in women's sports and the other half that identify as male just want to sit in the house and play video games..... And none of them know shit about cars or street racing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
What can you expect from this younger messed up generation?

Half of the males think they are women and want to compete in women's sports and the other half that identify as male just want to sit in the house and play video games..... And none of them know shit about cars or street racing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Preach!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The whole 'cars & coffee' thing is absolutely no comparison to the 'good old days', haha. When I go to one of those C&C, the rules always state NO BURNOUTS and NO REVVING ENGINES.... oh, ok, they just ruined all the fun. BUT I totally understand it. There are countless YouTube videos showing guys smashing up their cars (or worse) trying to show off.

And honestly, we can't blame the cops for eventually busting up the street racing scene. In my heyday, the cars were much slower, if you had 500hp you were a king. I raced probably a few thousand times and never saw even one wreck. Lower power levels meant the cars were easier to control. The new genre of street/muscle cars is double the power and much more dangerous.

robvas

Established Member
The whole 'cars & coffee' thing is absolutely no comparison to the 'good old days', haha. When I go to one of those C&C, the rules always state NO BURNOUTS and NO REVVING ENGINES.... oh, ok, they just ruined all the fun. BUT I totally understand it. There are countless YouTube videos showing guys smashing up their cars (or worse) trying to show off.

Attachments

• IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread