What got you into a Terminator

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
This section has seemed kind of slow lately. Don't know if this has been asked so I'll start. It was 2003 I just picked up my very first fox body or Mustang i should say. I was at the local speedway and a MG 03 pulled in I was in instant awe didn't even know about the Terminator Cobra. This one Sounded mean as hell.

I went home read up on them and even went to dealers and looked at them on the lots. I couldn't afford one then I was only 17. Fast forward to 06 I wanted one still a little out of my reach I got an 01 Cobra enjoyed that car I sold it in 13. It was between a Terminator or a 11 yellow blaze 5.0. I ended up going with the Terminator. I wanted one for years and had to have one. I really wanted CO, MC, SB or DSG. I didn't settle and am happy with that decision. I'll never forget the road trip to get it and the drive back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Used to get magazines from way back and saw It being talked about. Went to the ford store and ordered one.
Pretty simple.

josephcostello

Established Member
Freshmen year of high school. Saw it parked on the side of a street with a for sale sign. I couldn't believe how good it looked even though it was filthy. My dad and I went to meet the guy and before he went on the highway he put the top down and did a 40 roll, that's when I got hooked to the whine. I've been absolutely nuts about them since. Graduating soon and going into college but someday I will have a comp orange terminator. For now I enjoy my 01, but it's just not the same.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I messed around with a couple GTs, camaro and decided that I could dump money into one of those or get something that will hold some value.

Ended up picking up a black 04. One my 3rd one now.

Best decision I've ever made.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
My son and I built a 550 whp. STI, he enjoys it but not my kind of car, I haven't had a fast car since I sold my Torino Cobra years ago. I always liked mustangs, so I started looking. The shaker scoop on the 03-04 Mach1 caught my eye(my Torino had one). Every article about them mentioned the Cobra,it didn't take me long to realize the Terminator was an absolutely awesome car. I looked for 6 mths. and last month I towed my sb vert. home

TxCobra76

Established Member
I have always been into hot rods since high school. I built my first car a 79 Z28 with a big block my junior and senior years. That was in 95. In 03 all my ford friends were talking about this new cobra that was gonna destroy all. I had my doubts. Then a local guy bought a red terminator and immediately put a pulley and exhaust on it. That thing was sexy as hell. I seen the car race and heard the intoxicating whine and knew I had to have one. It only got worse when he took my for a drive. Fast forward 12 years and several fox bodies and muscle cars later. I had just sold my 89 GT and had a pocket full of money. I was looking for the next hot rod and wanted something I've never had before. My wife said "why don't you get one of those cobras your always looking at". Done deal less than a month later I bought my 21,000 mile SM coupe. Ad the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had a '96 gt which i'd bought new, and was routinely getting my ass kicked by camaros and other cars. so when i saw the mags that said 12-second quarter mile, i knew that i was going to buy one, and i went to the dealership and traded my gt in on it.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
While in college I was at my local track and saw a oxford white 03 perform a pass and heard the whine.

Ended up shooting the shit with the owner and he mentioned the only mods he had were exhaust, intake, pulley and a tune. The times he put down were astounding to me considering those were the only mods performed.

This made me realize the potential of the Terminator and I vowed that I would own one someday. 10 years later I obtained my "realistic dream car". My kids love it more then I do and that's the most important part.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
i had a '96 gt which i'd bought new, and was routinely getting my ass kicked by camaros and other cars. so when i saw the mags that said 12-second quarter mile, i knew that i was going to buy one, and i went to the dealership and traded my gt in on it.

I had one of those before my 01 Cobra. It was a money pit not for performance but just problems.
I finally thru in the towel and traded it in. It sounded good lol but was slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Watching my 785 original mile '04 CO Mach 1 get loaded onto a rollback in 2006 as a result of a forced sale due to a divorce. Man- That was a difficult day, but I promised myself that I would work hard to get it all back (and more) when the time was right. Eleven years later, I own two fantastic Terminators and I consider myself very fortunate. I never, ever thought I would touch a 03/04 Cobra in my lifetime, let alone own two that sit next to each other in my garage. I WILL get a CO Cobra though, in honor of my Mach. That's the next mission.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember reading about the 03 cobra VS the C5 Z06 in magazines than sitting in a brand new comp orange 04 cobra on the showroom floor when I was 16 and said one day I'll own one of these, I just wish it hadn't taken me almost 12 years later to finally buy one.

wckdvnm

Established Member
So for me it started with a model terminator I got when I was a kid. I got the model the first year they came out. It was a black one and I still have it to this day. Well the model was bought for me by my mother; she passed away in 2007 of leukemia. Some years later I was going through my things that I packed away when we had moved and found the car. I told myself I would have the car, it had been my dream car since I was younger.

Fast forward two years and some major life changes and I finally was able to get me a cobra. I got the car April and lost my job August without warning and I've been doing what I can to keep the car current. The jobs I've taken since then have kept me afloat but it's not what I want to keep doing.

With the recent accident with the cobra it's really opened my eyes that something that is my baby can be destroyed so easily. I've seen and been through some serious things in my life but seeing my car wrecked it made me cry. I don't make anywhere near the money most do, I mean I bought the car making $10 an hour; I make $15 an hour now but work a lot less hours but it's a job. Who knows how long it will take the car to be done but it will be eventually, I will never sell the car; I will be buried in that thing lol

Cliffs: model car given to me buy mother who passed away of cancer

Gary101386

Established Member
Growing up and all through highschool I was a diehard Chevy fan, in highschool I had 2 different 80's Monte Carlos, a 91 firebird and an 85 Camaro Z28. When the Camaro died I got a new car, a little Pontiac Sunfire and hated it, it was not me at all, so I was looking for a WS6 trans am, I wanted ttops, black on black and a 6 speed.

I was driving along one day and I see a black ttop WS6 at a dodge dealer so I stop. Walked up to the car and it was an automatic, in disappointment I step back and bump into the side mirror of the car next to the WS6. It was my MG 2001 Mustang GT. Looked inside and it was a stick... well the rest is history.

After I got the GT I joined all the forums and found out what a cobra was and came across the Mystichrome and was just in awe looking at pictures on the computer and told myself one day I would have one...

10 years later that came true...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Great stories! I love reading about the reasons behind the ownership.

I wish I had a good back story myself...but not really. I mean I knew about the "terminators" and all...I just stumbled across an 11k mile mystichrome vert in 2008 and decided I'd make an offer...I got it. Drove it seven hours back to my house and just fell in love with these cars. Decided then I'd probably always try to have at least one of these in the garage at all times. They've never disappointed me in 9 years. I'd love to pick up another vert to compliment the current coupe....I miss the top down experience on occasion.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Working at Tasca and seeing the owners car's with Whipple's and then can the Blades video's.... Sold!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I knew about the Terminators when they came out. I remember wanting one, but being an E4 in the Navy with a family it wasn't going to happen. I did manage to get into a 98 GT when my kids started using forward facing seats. I had big plans for that car. Then I met a friend that had a Whippled 04. I think I replaced a CV boot for him and afterwards he said we need to take it for a test drive. I said cool and started heading to the passenger side. He stopped me and told me I was driving. I put up a bit of a fight, but ended up taking the car for a quick spin. That was my first experience of 600+ HP.

Somewhere in this time I joined a local Mustang club and one of the members had a new Mystichrome. I fell in love with the color and my wife had to hear about it for the next 10 years.

October of 2005 I had just installed a set of Eibach's on my GT and dropped it off at the alignment shop. My wife was driving and we passed a dealer that had a MG Terminator on the lot. I probably talked about it all the way home. I even went as far as showing her it would be cheaper to mod the Terminator than the GT. So after picking up my GT I drove around the block to the dealer and looked at the Terminator. I test drove it and loved it. But when it came to the numbers I just couldn't do it. That day I ended up driving home in an 01 Cobra. I loved that car, but after basically making it a race car on the street I got tired of the headaches. The wife said why don't I get what I really want. Which was the Mystichrome. It took a couple months to find one. The funny part is she's the one that found it and sent me the link to the ad.

So 10 years after falling in love with a Mystichrome I finally had one parked in my garage. We saw a vert at a show this past weekend and my wife said she she could see herself driving one. It would be cool to have a coupe and convertible.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I was stationed in Tampa Florida and my buddy had a 2001 Roush Stage 3. He had a wallpaper of the Roush Mustangs on his computer. One of them was a 2003 Roush 380R. I told him one day I would own that car.

Well, shortly after that I was at home watching car shows and Car and Driver came on and they reviewed the 2003 Cobra. After watching the show I wanted one.

Well, I could not afford both, so I went with the Roush because it had less production numbers and I thought that one day the Roush would go the way of the Shelby.

However, I could never let go of wanting the Cobra. So, when I retired from the Army in 2007 I told my wife I wanted a Cobra. I found my coupe on Ebay. I sealed the deal with the seller and they delivered the car to my house shortly after.

Been lucky enough to own both cars I originally wanted back in 2002.

I got my Vert with different intentions. I originally bought it for the drive train which I wanted to install in my 65. Once I got it home my wife said there was no way I was going to dismantle the car. So, I ended up cleaning it up and now I'm lucky enough to have 2 Cobra's AND my Roush.

Funny how life works out some times.

Gary101386

Established Member
We saw a vert at a show this past weekend and my wife said she she could see herself driving one. It would be cool to have a coupe and convertible.

Great story. I have a similar tale.

When I met my fiancé and we first started dating I had jut redone the motor in my GT and the timing wasn't correct and blew again so I sold the car.

She had to listen to me whine every time I heard or saw one for a couple years till she finally told me to get another one. Picked up a 96GT cheap and though it was nice to have one again it wasn't the new edge style I love. She told me instead of building the 96 just get what I want.

So I started looking and came across my Mystichrome at a deal too good to pass up so I bought it and sold the GT.

She's said she wouldn't mind getting a 96 Mystic, would be cool to have 1 of each!

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I was younger and dumber than I am now. I was buying cars at a rate of about 1 every 2 years. I had rolled all the debt from car to car. I was looking at cars and ended up a CarMax dealer. They had a Cobra for sale. I got in it and was immediately taken by the seat and the 6 speed transmission. It wasn't a Yellow Convertible though. I had wanted a yellow/black top combo for a while.

There was a Ford Dealer 2 blocks down from CarMax. It was October of 2004. Dealers at the time were trying to get rid of inventory - but I wasn't smart enough figure that part out. I saw her parked there - Beautiful Screaming Yellow with the black top. Sitting in it felt like I belonged there. It drove way better than my at the time '02 Mustang GT. I did my final new car purchase a few days later and purchased my Cobra.

It wasn't till a few years later that I realized these Cobras were a bit more than just supped up Mustangs. The more I learned - the more I realize I kind of got lucky with my decision to purchase my Cobra.

All these years later - and I still love this car.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
I guess you can say like father like son, my old man is the original owner of a 93 cobra and while in high school the 03 Cobra came out and decimated all. I remember going to car shows and tracks where these things just rocked, plus many many youtube videos. My prior mustangs consisted of a drop top 95 GT automatic (what a turd) and then an 03 GT that I put 150 shot of nitrous on and all the bolt ons. Life happened and I took a job where it made sense to sell my mustang and get a truck. Fast Fwd a few years later, a buddy had an 06 GT that he let me drive and that's all it took. I was hooked again and financially able to get another vehicle. I started looking at what I could afford and what my requirements were, I narrowed it down pretty easily to the 03/04 Cobra or first gen Shelby. My requirements were forged shortblock, boost, and something not every joeblow has (5.0 coyote mustang), even though I did briefly consider it. And from there, the Cobra IMO just really stood out, the nostalgia, the performance even compared to modern day cars, and the fact Id have a Cobra just like my old man, but 10 years newer. Something to be said about how many owners who sell their Cobra regret it and end up back in one. Its not refined, its raw, and its a handful. From there, the rest is history...

Users who are viewing this thread