svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Info:
2013 Auto
Naturally Aspirated
Tune(soon)
Exhaust (gt500, xpipe, no resenators)
The car is my DD but I want some out of the hole improvement for the track time it will see on occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I love my 3:15's. Especially for a street car. Get a tvs, keep the stock gears. Don't waste money on gear swap.

BAD GT

Established Member
Depends on what you are doing, what size tire you have? how much rpm and shift points?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I voted for 3.55s. Not sure what the ratios look like in the A6, but I know I chose my 3.55s in my M6 because it was middle ground between the seat-hugging 3.73s and the MPG friendly 3.31s. So far I am enjoying the car with this ratio. Has enough to shoot me off the line pretty quick, and I can still cruise 70 @ ~2k RPM.

91Gtturbo

Established Member
When I asked this same question before the unanmious answer was 3.55. Mine finally arrived last Friday and the dealer is doing the install today. Unfortunately I'm on vacation so I won't have the chance to drive it until Satruday.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Your not going to get a clear answer on this one because of all the variables involved. What transmission? What mods will you put on the car? How will you use the car? Etc. Etc. Everyone has their opinion...

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
I thought I made it clear what the car has and what it was going to be used for. Why all the questions?

DD, NA, tune, exhaust, intake. Some track use.
85% street 15% track.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I thought I made it clear what the car has and what it was going to be used for. Why all the questions?

DD, NA, tune, exhaust, intake. Some track use.
85% street 15% track.

4.10 with the auto would be what I would do. Good luck

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
If your not happy with a tune and the stock 3:15's your next best is 3:31's.

I'm cutting 1.9 60's back to back consistently with stock tire on the 3:15's. Going through traps in third is bueno for me.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

That is way to steep of a gear for that tranny unless it is a track car, and the OP said that it is mainly a DD.

OP, like others have said 3.31's or 3.55's are probably your best bet.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the ford racing tech line gives good gear advice, it would be interesting to hear what they say for your particular situation

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
That is way to steep of a gear for that tranny unless it is a track car, and the OP said that it is mainly a DD.

OP, like others have said 3.31's or 3.55's are probably your best bet.

I have 4.10s in my A6 DD and its very Streetable. I have even took a 400+ & a 300+ mile road trip and got excellent mpg. I could see 4.10s not being good in a 4speed auto, but they have been good to me for DD, dig racing and even roll racing.

scotmach

Established Member
I love my 3:15's. Especially for a street car. Get a tvs, keep the stock gears. Don't waste money on gear swap.
I agree. I love my 3.15's.
Maybe in other Auto's, but wouldn't recommend that for a DD A6. You may get your desired improvement from a tune, so might want to look into that first.
Agreed.
I voted for 3.55s. Not sure what the ratios look like in the A6
Then why are you giving out advice if you don't own a A6 and don't know what the transmission ratios are?
Do you even own one?
If your not happy with a tune and the stock 3:15's your next best is 3:31's.

Good advice.

91Gtturbo

Established Member
I have 4.10s in my A6 DD and its very Streetable. I have even took a 400+ & a 300+ mile road trip and got excellent mpg. I could see 4.10s not being good in a 4speed auto, but they have been good to me for DD, dig racing and even roll racing.

How quickly under normal acceleration does your car go through the first few gears? Based off what I've read of the gearing in the A6 transmission then coupled with the 4.10s (unfortunatley no real world experience for me), the first few gears would be useless. I know 6th is very low so 4.10s on the highway wouldn't be to bad, but isn't there a point of dimensioning return where the gain of only one gear isn't worth the loss of the other five?

WHITEMACH

Established Member
i just installed 4.10s in my auto 2012 ,today with a tune and all i can say is WOW!!!! CAR is a MONSTER AND with factory tires, it leaves hard and starts to haze first and bangs second, like no other boils the tires and rips third and fourth! love it!!all i can say it is way faster! off the gas it goes thru all six gears buy 55-50mph! great for my city commuting !

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
How quickly under normal acceleration does your car go through the first few gears? Based off what I've read of the gearing in the A6 transmission then coupled with the 4.10s (unfortunatley no real world experience for me), the first few gears would be useless. I know 6th is very low so 4.10s on the highway wouldn't be to bad, but isn't there a point of dimensioning return where the gain of only one gear isn't worth the loss of the other five?

Depends on which tires I am running. With my drag pack (MT DR 295/55/15) they dead hook on the street and at the track, without any bog. On my stock pirellis they are fine DD, drives stock unless you rip on it. Alot of people "say" 1st gear is useless, but if you know how to pedal, then you could still get a good launch with street tires.

Users who are viewing this thread