Votes: 33 24.3%
  • 3:73

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • 4:10

Votes: 24 17.6%

• Total voters

casper gt

Established Member
just thought I'd throw this into the mix, new tune, no new mods, right lane car # 031.

bartsept12050.jpg

stock converter, 4.10's & 27" d.r's.............works for me anyway.

calgarybandit

Established Member
I just switched from 3.55 in my auto to 3.31 and by far the best gear from 3.73, 4.10 & 3.55 gears. 3.31 pull you through the traps at top of 3rd screaming through at 7500RPM and car ran .18 quicker then with 3.55. :beer:

scotmach

Established Member
I just switched from 3.55 in my auto to 3.31 and by far the best gear from 3.73, 4.10 & 3.55 gears. 3.31 pull you through the traps at top of 3rd screaming through at 7500RPM and car ran .18 quicker then with 3.55. :beer:
You mean you didn't know it's okay to shift into 4th before the traps as stated earlier?:rolleyes:

Bettsie

Established Member

You have changed gears four times? Could you post your time slips so we can all see please? Two others on here have been sub 12s with 410s and time slips are posted. And yes Scot there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with being in fourth.

scotmach

Established Member
Please explain to me why you do not want to shift into fourth , a non overdrive gear?

When you cross the traps you want to be at the peak of your RPM where you are making the most power. If you shift into the next gear just before crossing you'll be much lower in your RPM range and where you're not making peak power. It's not rocket science.

scotmach

Established Member
You have changed gears four times? Could you post your time slips so we can all see please? Two others on here have been sub 12s with 410s and time slips are posted. And yes Scot there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with being in fourth.

You do know that the fastest N/A autos all run 3.31's correct?

casper gt

Established Member
When you cross the traps you want to be at the peak of your RPM where you are making the most power. If you shift into the next gear just before crossing you'll be much lower in your RPM range and where you're not making peak power. It's not rocket science.

your logic is solid as to the rpm range when crossing, where your getting off track though is that with a stock converter leaving just above idle, 4.10's & 27" tires the car is at the top of fourth, not the bottom.

mabie with a higher stall converter, 3.31's & crossing in 3rd might be a better choice, but with a stock converter & 3.31's the car will be slower than with the 4,10's & you'll loose what little 60' a stock converter can give you, I tried it & the 4.10's went right back in.

Bettsie

Established Member
your logic is solid as to the rpm range when crossing, where your getting off track though is that with a stock converter leaving just above idle, 4.10's & 27" tires the car is at the top of fourth, not the bottom.

mabie with a higher stall converter, 3.31's & crossing in 3rd might be a better choice, but with a stock converter & 3.31's the car will be slower than with the 4,10's & you'll loose what little 60' a stock converter can give you, I tried it & the 4.10's went right back in.

Casper, no sense arguing with someone who has never run with 410s in the coyote. It is like one of the bobble heads just nodding up and down and saying 3.15s and 3.31 are faster. Does not matter how much proof you show them.
Thanks for the great info. Cannot wait to get out to our track, Castrol Raceway.

casper gt

Established Member
Casper, no sense arguing with someone who has never run with 410s in the coyote. It is like one of the bobble heads just nodding up and down and saying 3.15s and 3.31 are faster. Does not matter how much proof you show them.
Thanks for the great info. Cannot wait to get out to our track, Castrol Raceway.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I was arguing, I was just stating the facts of how my car runs with the 4.10's & how it has run with 3.31's from someone who has ran both.

as to the 4.10's slowing these cars down, heres another impressive 4.10 car, http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/880040-fantastic-experience-brenspeed.html

calgarybandit

Established Member

Let me know when you head to Castrol Raceway and I will drive up and you can test my 3.31 gears out against your 4.10s :beer:
And my run with 3.55 I did 12.2 1.784 60 ft 114.3 MPH 4300 DA this past weekend I ran 3.31 11.91 at 116.4 MPH 1.769 60ft 4400 DA.

And how do you think our cars would hook with 3.31 over 4.10 with a supercharger? I have ran the spectrum and 3.31 for a stall and supercharger is more then enough.

Thank you! if you don't plan your gearing for future mods like I have done you will end up changing your gears several times and make the same mistake as me.

Last edited:

casper gt

Established Member
Let me know when you head to Castrol Raceway and I will drive up and you can test my 3.31 gears out against your 4.10s :beer:
And my run with 3.55 I did 12.2 1.784 60 ft 114.3 MPH 4300 DA this past weekend I ran 3.31 11.91 at 116.4 MPH 1.769 60ft 4400 DA.

And how do you think our cars would hook with 3.31 over 4.10 with a supercharger? I have ran the spectrum and 3.31 for a stall and supercharger is more then enough.

Thank you! if you don't plan your gearing for future mods like I have done you will end up changing your gears several times and make the same mistake as me.

your not comparing apples to apples, the 4.10 cars were talking about here have stock converters & I've ran both, 3.31's slowed my car down, both et & mph period.

I see you have a converter so your numbers don't compare to ours but given the d/a at your track seem good none the less.

lastly, gears are the cheapest mods you can do to these cars, I don't mind changing them out as many times as I have too to see where I need to be.

calgarybandit

Established Member
your not comparing apples to apples, the 4.10 cars were talking about here have stock converters & I've ran both, 3.31's slowed my car down, both et & mph period.

I see you have a converter so your numbers don't compare to ours but given the d/a at your track seem good none the less.

Comparing changing gears with my car is apple to apples and once you add converter with 4.10's let me know what you think after you run at the track.

casper gt

Established Member
Comparing changing gears with my car is apple to apples and once you add converter with 4.10's let me know what you think after you run at the track.

I never said I was going to keep the 4.10's when & if I end up doing a converter, I have 3.27's, 3.31's & 3.55's here & if none of them worked I would buy what was nessesary gear wise/tire dia. wise to get it done, but I would see how the 4.10's/27's ran first.

all the recent et talk aside, I'm a bracket racer first & foremost so most likely the car will stay as-is since the converter will just make my life more complicated (while the 11.71 was fun & proved my point with the 4.10's/stock converter, 12.0/12.10 is where I need to be so I have the option of running any class at any track during the season which is far more important to me than bench racing on the internet) & as the car sits now it is very consistant & while there are some velocity issues (typical street class bracket cars wouln't mph quite as high as these cars) it is pretty easy to race the stripe/pedal with the rpms up because of the 4.10's.

Last edited:

Bettsie

Established Member
Let me know when you head to Castrol Raceway and I will drive up and you can test my 3.31 gears out against your 4.10s

Really? I have 4.10s, MagnaFlow axle-backs, resonators removed, rear tires are Nitto Invo 285/30/20.

You have 20 x 8.5 - 10.5 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/40/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, 82 MM L&M Throttle body, 93 AED Sport Tune, 3.31 FRPP gears, Circle D 3700 stall, Eibach Coilovers, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft.

If you cannot kick my ass in any race, hang your head in shame.

Bettsie

Established Member
MythBuster

Posted on another forum from scotmach

" his heavy convertible and big 20" wheels."
"Don't be sore because they agreed with me over there."

First, heavy convertible- coupe auto 3650, vert auto 3780. A difference of 130 lb. That could very easily be made up for by drivers. I weigh 150. These weights are from Ford.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

Big 20" rims. My tires are 285/30/20 for a diameter of 26.73". It is more the tire than the rim. Most cars are close to 27.5" - 28".

" Don't be sore because they agreed with me over there."

I counted the people that posted in favor of 315 or 331 compared to those that posted in favor of 410 or 373 in an auto. For your side 5, for mine 6 and I gave you a 355, which is in the middle.
In the poll 25 picked 315 or 331, 49 picked 410 or 373. Almost 2 to 1 on my side

Bottom line is with limited mods, exhaust and a tune 410s win, period.

Last edited:

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Wow this thread went crap. Came in looking for gear choices with the same mods as the OP, and I am seeing people giving suggestions with Superchargers, Stall Converters, Big Tires, and everything in between.

Guy said he has an exhaust and intake. Wants to know best gear choice... For his mods, I say 4.10s. Of course with a blower you don't want that much gear, but he doesn't have a blower, so why argue?

Users who are viewing this thread