What else can go wrong?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
In the big freeze last February, my mother in law forgot to turn off the water in her house. Pipes burst, the house flooded. Everything lost except the slab and the exterior walls and roof.

She's been staying with us ever since. Thank God Almighty for alcohol because I wouldn't have made it this far, sober.

The insurance paid up, no problem there. The problem has been the absolute bottom-of-the-freaking barrel contractor. Screw ups right and left. Even so, we're damn near ready for her to move back in.

Until today.

She had granite countertops installed. They cut the opening to the wrong size, now the oven doesn't fit. No problem, the contractor says, he'll have one of his guys come out and fix it up. He did. The guy shows up, with a sawz all, and proceeds to cut the granite down to size, free-handed, in the house. It looks like hammered dog shit, and there is a quarter-inch of stone dust throughout the entire house.

Contractor says he can fix it, two more weeks.

I asked the contractor if his guy knew what he was doing, and he assured me that cutting stone is "not as simple as it looks, Mr. Snover. And if I knew that, I wouldn't have asked the question." I proceed to tell him I was, once, a card-carrying Brick layer and stone mason the day I graduated High School, as was every first born son on my Dad's side of the family since we came over from Germany in the 1770's. I could have made the same cut with a hammer and a chisel, and it would have looked better than the pics they sent me.

This was all over the phone. Which is good, I'd probably be in jail for assault, if I had been there.

God give me strength and keep the booze flowing. Two more freaking weeks!

MG0h3

Established Member
Hahah funny story but man, I feel for you.

It is VERY hard to find a good contractor of any sort these days. Heck, I haven’t in the last 15yrs or so.

Everything from half ass work to disappearing with a 2k deposit for materials. I found that ********** though and got the work done by his brother at the contracted price. They had to cover the material cost

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I hear ya loud and clear Jimmy.
Yesterday I spent 2+ hours unhooking, rehooking,
and leveling our new dishwasher right after the installers left.
They had no interest in good quality workmanship.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel your pain but at the same time that’s a bold ****ing question to ask… the universe is listening man

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pic of the granite "rough cut".....or it didn't happen! LOL!

The next two weeks might end up feeling like two MONTHS, James. :eek:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Thank God Almighty for alcohol because I wouldn't have made it this far, sober.

This explains so much.

It looks like hammered dog shit

There's a phrase I never expected from Snover.

I proceed to tell him I was, once, a card-carrying Brick layer and stone mason the day I graduated High School, as was every first born son on my Dad's side of the family since we came over from Germany in the 1770's. I could have made the same cut with a hammer and a chisel, and it would have looked better than the pics they sent me.

Snover is a freemason/illerminati/lizard person confirmed.

+1 to seeing the horror of a Sawzall cut counter.

And you mean to tell me you don't have a guest house or at the least a travel trailer to park outside for her?

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
We finally got our house fixed up from the same winter freeze back in February. Same issue, didn't turn water off, blah blah. Thankfully just flooring and drywall. I work with contractors daily from my job so I didn't have to worry, but neighbors that had the same thing are still waiting for repairs. Again, that was back in February when this happened...It's July...

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
This explains so much.

There's a phrase I never expected from Snover.

Snover is a freemason/illerminati/lizard person confirmed.

+1 to seeing the horror of a Sawzall cut counter.

And you mean to tell me you don't have a guest house or at the least a travel trailer to park outside for her?

We actually do have a very nice horse trailer with a small apartment.

But the horse said “Hell no!” When asked if it itd be ok to have the MIL stay with him. I understand his reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
He couldn't stand to live with an old nag?

giphy.gif

beau t

Established Member
What else can go wrong?
NEVER ask a question you really don't want to know the answer to! Hope all is smooth sailing on getting her house done in the next couple of weeks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm lucky that a couple of my neighbors are high end home builders and contractors. I've never had an issue with any of the guys they recommend, but you better be ready to pay to get quality work done right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread