What does it take to beat a 600cc bike??

rmgtc01

Established Member
Me and a guy in a class I have started BSing about racing and stuff. He was saying how he kills everything he races so far with his GSXR-600. I was like, you obviously haven't run into a KB cobra or been down to Miami and messed with the 1000hp supras. He wanted run for fun sometime, so I was game.

Ran into him today and after some showing off we went from a 40. I hit second and he pulled hard. We tried again at a light and it was just as bad. he let off after 2 car lengths b/c it was no point in wasting gas. As I was following him accelerating from 65, I punched 2nd again and hung on him up to about 100.
I was never expecting to win, especially off the line. But he never raced a Cobra before and wanted to see.

So the questions are:
1. Has anyone beat a bike of any CC?
2. If so, what do you have done and by how much?
3. Was it off the line? (b/c I can't hook for Shiat)
4. Finally, do I stand a better chance at a faster speed? (ex. 80 start, drop 3rd)

Any and all inputs welcome................

Last edited:

04srt4

Banned
i beat a 600 in my srt4....
we hit it in 2nd and he jumped me by about 3 bikes or so...
i stopped his pull in 3rd, and started coming back
by the time was in 4th for a bit (115-120 mph) i was passing him then i went to 5th i just walked away

your best bet against a bike would be to run at high speeds....
their power to weight makes them accelerate very quickly, but they start to struggle once the speeds get up (unless you are running an r1 or a busa or something)

*i think* a good running 600cc bike will run mid-high 11's at about 120-125
and they usually top out around 150-160

someone correct me if im wrong

Last edited:

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
04srt4 said:
i beat a 600 in my srt4....
we hit it in 2nd and he jumped me by about 3 bikes or so...
i stopped his pull in 3rd, and started coming back
by the time was in 4th for a bit (115-120 mph) i was passing him then i went to 5th i just walked away

your best bet against a bike would be to run at high speeds....
their power to weight makes them accelerate very quickly, but they start to struggle once the speeds get up (unless you are running an r1 or a busa or something)

*i think* a good running 600cc bike will run mid-high 11's at about 120-125
and they usually top out around 150-160

someone correct me if im wrong

A good running 600cc bike will run a mid 10sec 1/4mile @ about 128-130mph. There was a professional rider who lowered a stock '05 R6 and ran a 9.9@135mph in the 1/4 mile.

04srt4

Banned
The_Sheriff_ said:
A good running 600cc bike will run a mid 10sec 1/4mile @ about 128-130mph. There was a professional rider who lowered a stock '05 R6 and ran a 9.9@135mph in the 1/4 mile.

wow...
i ran an r1 not too long ago.....

that was an interesting race, it was not even close.

what do they run?

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
Me and a guy in a class I have started BSing about racing and stuff. He was saying how he kills everything he races so far with his CBR 600. I was like, you obviously haven't run into a KB cobra or been down to Miami and messed with the 1000hp supras. He wanted run for fun sometime, so I was game.

Ran into him today and after some showing off we went from a 40. I hit second and he pulled hard. We tried again at a light and it was just as bad. he let off after 2 car lengths b/c it was no point in wasting gas. As I was following him accelerating from 65, I punched 2nd again and hung on him up to about 100.
I was never expecting to win, especially off the line. But he never raced a Cobra before and wanted to see.

So the questions are:
1. Has anyone beat a bike of any CC?
2. If so, what do you have done and by how much?
3. Was it off the line? (b/c I can't hook for Shiat)
4. Finally, do I stand a better chance at a faster speed? (ex. 80 start, drop 3rd)

Any and all inputs welcome................

For the third race, he was probably in 3rd gear.

A 450rwhp Cobra can probably reel in a stock 600cc bike at high speeds (120+mph). You do stand a better chance at higher speeds. Your pressure drag coefficient is MUCH lower than any of the 600cc SS bikes.

The_Sheriff_

Established Member
04srt4 said:
wow...
i ran an r1 not too long ago.....

that was an interesting race, it was not even close.

what do they run?

It really depends what year R1. Most of the R1s that are '98-'03 dyno around 130rwhp whereas the '04 R1 puts down 145rwhp. The '03 will run just about what a GSX-R750 runs: ~10.2@138mph with a good rider. The GSX-R1000s are quite a bit faster. I was able to trap 148mph on a stock (except for bolt-on Yoshimura RS-3 pipe) GSX-R1000. The '04 R1s are about on par to GSX-R1000s.

ogc

Established Member
My friends 03 Cobra is making 530whp and he raced a CBR 600RR I was in his car the bike belongs to a buddy of ours.

Anyways my friend is no good at driving but they were dead even until he would shift and the bike would gain some distance and then be dead even again. He wasnt pulling on the bike but the bike wasnt gaining any distance other than on shifts, the bike shifts much faster.

So 450whp in an 03/04 Cobra would not be enough to keep up with a newer model 600CC bike. IMO

and 04srt4 what do you have done to your car?

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
The_Sheriff_ said:

Yup, that was one of the best, Ricky Gadson, he makes everything fast !!!

R1Lello

Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
What does it take to beat a 600cc bike??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-not a whole lot

:eek:

You're kidding right?? Good and avg weight riders, that 600 can run tens at almost 130 mph................

So that's what you need.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I would say a stick in his spokes. but if you wanna be fare then probably a 75 shot plus the basic pulley, exhaust,CAI, and just normal cobra bolt ons.

ogc

Established Member
ogc said:
My friends 03 Cobra is making 530whp and he raced a CBR 600RR I was in his car the bike belongs to a buddy of ours.

Anyways my friend is no good at driving but they were dead even until he would shift and the bike would gain some distance and then be dead even again. He wasnt pulling on the bike but the bike wasnt gaining any distance other than on shifts, the bike shifts much faster.

So 450whp in an 03/04 Cobra would not be enough to keep up with a newer model 600CC bike. IMO

and 04srt4 what do you have done to your car?

I have to change my statement, I talked to my friend with the bike to see what his power was, apparently his bike is fairly modded and he was clutchless shifting which not to many people do according to him.

So if you took a basic 600 with a noob rider im sure it is possible for a pullied chipped exhaust 03/04 to run pretty even.

I have not read other posts but I can beat 600's with just a CAI and C/B.
It all boils down to how good the rider is...If they suck you can beat a 750...If there good you could lose to a 500! :beer:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
my buddy has a CBR 900 that would kick that 600's arse

i think it's irrelevant to compare a bike to a car.....just dosen't make sense..

Last edited:

pgdsmrr

Established Member
I don't think that any of the bike riders I know use the clutch when shifting other than from 1-2 or down shifting, during any sort of spirited riding. But it really all depends on rider. I have a 03 cbr 600rr completly stock and raced a geared o1 gsxr1000 and won by about 2 bike lengths and we raced up to 240kph my bike falls on its face at 260 but will slowly creep up to a max speed of 286 indicated. Larger displacment bikes don't really pull all that much better at higher speeds because of drag as well. I ran against a buddy with a cbr954rr with a slip on and at speeds above 200kph he would barely pull away from me maybe a bike length by the time we top out.

R1Lello

Established Member
Cobra4pt6 said:
my buddy has a CBR 900 that would kick that 600's arse

i think it's irrelevant to compare a bike to a car.....just dosen't make sense..

:dw: I hope your saying your buddys cbr 900 is modded because any of todays 600's will kick the older cbr 900's arse.

R1Lello

Established Member
pgdsmrr said:
I don't think that any of the bike riders I know use the clutch when shifting other than from 1-2 or down shifting, during any sort of spirited riding. But it really all depends on rider. I have a 03 cbr 600rr completly stock and raced a geared o1 gsxr1000 and won by about 2 bike lengths and we raced up to 240kph my bike falls on its face at 260 but will slowly creep up to a max speed of 286 indicated. Larger displacment bikes don't really pull all that much better at higher speeds because of drag as well. I ran against a buddy with a cbr954rr with a slip on and at speeds above 200kph he would barely pull away from me maybe a bike length by the time we top out.

:dw:

"We top out????" CBR 954 has more top end than your car, I'll bet $$ on that. That 954 does the high end of 160 mph (166-168 mph) I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread