What does a new Volt cost?

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I love the Volt. It's a real first-gen version of an electric-propelled vehicle. The world may not be ready for it, but the second gas goes up a dollar people will snap them up quickly.

As a Ford guy, I'm rooting for GM on this one. I hope they are successful and lead the way for American car companies in electric vehicles.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Also, to these comments about GM taking bailout money and using it to produce the Volt. GM didn't want bailout money... it's not like they jumped at the opportunity. They were forced to go into bankruptcy and the Volt was already developed before then.

The Gov will lose about 9 billion on their bet on GM. I'm good with that because millions of people kept their job as a result of the bailout. Ford could have easily been part of that bailout had some smart people not made a gamble with the big blue oval.

"What's good for GM is good for America, and vice versa."

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
Don't worry. My 2013 $9k tax rebate will be offset by my 2013 >$150k tax bill. How much do I take home a year? <$80k. But I'm an employer, and we are evil.

I didn't make the .GOV rebate. I think it's stupid. But I'm not going to heat my house by burning Franklins.

You want to bitch about the tax codes, go to www.pissintothewind.com

:rollseyes

you are a moron. The gov had to subsidize the manufactures who produce parts for volt. Nothing about the tax code. Must be why you are buying a volt. you are a retard.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
There are only a handful of EV1's that avoided getting crushed, as they were donated to universities and museums (although mostly neutered of its original functions). As far as GM protecting its technology, it wasn't too successful, as some students found that the EV1's components were mostly identical to GM's EV S10 pickup, which was readily available to the public. It didn't take much to undo what GM did in protecting the technology.

I saw an in-the-real EV1 at the Henry Ford museum. Amazing to see one in the flesh.

20131018_133922_zps7cbf5bbb.jpg

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Wife and I love our 2012 Volt.

Test drove the new Fusions, Mailbu's, Cruzes, Focus's, etc. and they didn't compare.

We paid 47K out the door with every option, extended warranties, etc.

We also got back 12K in Federal and State rebates for buying the car.

It has nearly 10K on it, and we have only used 60 gallons of gas (Chose not to charge it) and it is an amazing ride. It rides smoother than my old M3 and Lincoln LS, nicer than my 05 GT and handles better. We love the heated seats, mirrors, HID's, Bose sound system, Blu-ray player, 3 years of free on star, Parking Assist, Electronic Brake assist, Electronic E-Brake, the programmable garage door opener, the app to check charging status on the wife's iPhone and navigation.

It is expensive, but, well worth it. If we factor in what gas would have cost us if we didn't use the EV range, we would have spent over $4K in gas, versus <500 in the increased electricity bill.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You're assuming the death of GM would just leave a dead-spot in the US economy, that is exactly where everyone gets it wrong. Let GM die, like they should have, and thousands of new businesses would have sprung up to take up their place. Where there is a need to be filled, someone will start a business and meet that need to capitalize on it. Keeping GM propped up was the worst possible mistake to make. Without further support they will continue to fail, they will continue to need more, larger, tax-payer handouts. This ensures that when the inevitable crash comes, it will be far worse than if the market had been allowed to run its course. Now we have a huge corporate entity that believes it can just post up some bad earnings numbers and it will be bailed out by the country. The execs get their big paychecks, the company lurches along like some kind of economic zombie, you, personally, are helping everyone else buy a GM vehicle, In this state of affairs, what motive does any executive have to change anything about the business?

Also, to these comments about GM taking bailout money and using it to produce the Volt. GM didn't want bailout money... it's not like they jumped at the opportunity. They were forced to go into bankruptcy and the Volt was already developed before then.

The Gov will lose about 9 billion on their bet on GM. I'm good with that because millions of people kept their job as a result of the bailout. Ford could have easily been part of that bailout had some smart people not made a gamble with the big blue oval.

"What's good for GM is good for America, and vice versa."

oldmodman

Established Member
You're assuming the death of GM would just leave a dead-spot in the US economy, that is exactly where everyone gets it wrong. Let GM die, like they should have, and thousands of new businesses would have sprung up to take up their place. Where there is a need to be filled, someone will start a business and meet that need to capitalize on it. Keeping GM propped up was the worst possible mistake to make. Without further support they will continue to fail, they will continue to need more, larger, tax-payer handouts. This ensures that when the inevitable crash comes, it will be far worse than if the market had been allowed to run its course. Now we have a huge corporate entity that believes it can just post up some bad earnings numbers and it will be bailed out by the country. The execs get their big paychecks, the company lurches along like some kind of economic zombie, you, personally, are helping everyone else buy a GM vehicle, In this state of affairs, what motive does any executive have to change anything about the business?

Absolutely correct.

But never fear.

The "fiscally responsible" portion of the government is concocting a new "Five Year Plan" for GM as we speak.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
FYI ....Your vette doesn't mean tinny wiennie it means bald and mid life crisis

A volt? You mean the Chevy Prius without Toyota quality?

I saw an in-the-real EV1 at the Henry Ford museum. Amazing to see one in the flesh.

20131018_133922_zps7cbf5bbb.jpg

You can race any car. It doesn't matter what it is. Have your kid get his own damn car with his own money. Or get the Focus ST and programme the MyKey....Why would you want an electric car now when there are so many awesome cars on the market right now? Gas mileage isn't the only factor in car ownership.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...lion-vehicles--helps-parents-keep-teens-.html
I love this thread…so much WIN! :lol:
(BTW,Thanks for buying one of "our" Volts OP! Please keep us posted on the maintenance.)

paynecasey

Established Member
Dude, sick.

I'm 21 and am about to buy a C6Z. Big deal :bored:

All im saying is i'd rather buy a focus st over a governmental motors car. They are so cheap because the taxpayers, I.E. me and you, funded it and GM doesnt sell to many of them so they have to give them away.

Weren't they like $40k new? without all the tax incentives and rebates and shit?

Sold at a loss. They ain't cheap.

paynecasey

Established Member
Dude, sick.

I'm 21 and am about to buy a C6Z. Big deal :bored:

All im saying is i'd rather buy a focus st over a governmental motors car. They are so cheap because the taxpayers, I.E. me and you, funded it and GM doesnt sell to many of them so they have to give them away.

Weren't they like $40k new? without all the tax incentives and rebates and shit?

Sold at a loss. They ain't cheap.

McRat

Established Member
Want to know who was for the Bailout?

Ford and Chrysler.

Why?

Something you didn't think of. Automakers share suppliers (vendors). A GM collapse would have destroyed some the major vendors for the industry. It could have turned the US Auto industry into the US Steel or Home Electronics industry.

Last I heard all the Bailout money was repaid ahead of time.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Want to know why that's wrong? Same scenario: those that folded would have made a huge market waiting to be filled. New businesses would have been falling all over themselves to meet it.

Where do people get the idea that if a business fails, that's it. It's over. No one else will ever come along and try it again. That there can only be one GM, there can only be one _anything_. When did this idea become so prevalent, and how is it most people unquestioningly accept the premise?

Want to know who was for the Bailout?

Ford and Chrysler.

Why?

Something you didn't think of. Automakers share suppliers (vendors). A GM collapse would have destroyed some the major vendors for the industry. It could have turned the US Auto industry into the US Steel or Home Electronics industry.

Last I heard all the Bailout money was repaid ahead of time.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
A brand new volt for 25k!? I bet the folks who bought them for 40+k are shitting their pants. Honestly, I've always wanted one as a DD but could NEVER think about even spending 40k on one. 25k is more reasonable and all but I'm not that hard to please. I'd buy an old civic for 5k and use the rest on my BOss lol

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors
I put in City driving 90 outside with the AC on and they still claim 230 ish miles
Its a expensive car, around 100k. But if you never had to change oil, buy gas, etc. you can account those normal everyday expenses in a way towards a more expensive car payment. I think Tesla also guarantee they're batteries for life.

Last edited:

goingup

Established Member
Sounds like a free car at that price.:banana:

Lets say you drive a truck or a car that average city mpg is 16 and you drive 12k a year.

12000 miles divided by 16 mpg = 750 gallons of gas a year. 750 x$3.50 a gallon = $2625 in money spent on gas yearly to drive your current vehicle 12k

Now a volt can go 40 miles on a full charge. So 12k divided by 40 = 300 charges. It cost about $1.20 per charge. So your bill for energy for the volt would be $360 a year.

You would save $2325 driving a volt in fuel costs yearly.

Now say you held on to the Volt for 10 years you would have saved $23250 in fuel costs at todays prices. I think it is safe to say that gas will be more in ten years. So what is a ten year Volt worth, maybe $7000.

So you see you save with fuel costs and have $7000 at the end. Free car to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread