What does a new Volt cost?

McRat

Established Member
2013 + all advanced safety options (frontal collision avoidance, lane change warning, backup camera + warning, pedestrian warning, etc).

After all rebates and California taxes and registration: $24,836.

So, if you want to play with electricity, now is the time. We bought the last unit at my favorite dealer. I think the deal ends the 19th or until stock is gone.

oldmodman

Established Member
Chevy announced that they were going to knock ten or fifteen thousand off the sticker. Then there is the federal, state, county, and city rebates for purchasing a PHEV.

McRat

Established Member
No way would I have bought one last summer.

But at $25k? Drove it, bought it.

We have two teens ready to learn to drive. So we drove it home.

Now, I'm not used to driving something that has less than 400HP, but it wasn't THAT bad. It's pretty trick. Nice car for the price.

McRat

Established Member
I'd rather have Sonic EV with 400ft/lb of torque at 0 mph. It will boil the freakin tires with the TC off.

However, this was for the kids.

I don't WANT them racing it. Just good mileage and cheap insurance, and learn about Electric Vehicle Technology.

97LaserRed

Fresh
Established Member
GM was hoping to sell 40,000 units. Only moved around 25,000 in 2012. No wonder they are giving those cars away. Nobody wants them!! And they expect the cadillac ELR to sell!??

flS/R

Established Member
this is a more realistic price. Too bad for Chevrolet I wont be in the market for another car for a couple years

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Finally a reasonable price for a high-tech hybrid. If I was in the market I'd definitely be checking them out.

McRat

Established Member
GM was hoping to sell 40,000 units. Only moved around 25,000 in 2012. No wonder they are giving those cars away. Nobody wants them!! And they expect the cadillac ELR to sell!??

All car MFR's must sell X number of EV's or buy electric credits from another EV company (How Tesla Stays Afloat) or pay a fine per car.

Nobody is selling a lot of EV's. People don't want them.

GM cannot make a modern EV for $25k, nor can anyone.

But you can BUY one.

GM spent over a billion dollars on the EV1. Why? The government said all car makers would have to sell EV's.

But the import lobbyists talked Congress into backing off. So GM ate a billion for not bribing politicians.

If you got a chance to drive an EV1, you'd know that it was a bad-ass electric. Quicker than most cars sold. But it had such high tech parts (mostly aerospace quality parts made by Hughes) that they could not make money on them, they leased them at a loss, then crushed them when the lease was over, so as not to let the technology $$$ go to competitors.

No, the US (world?) is not ready for EV's.

But do note that with advent of LiFePO4 batteries, we are getting close. There are street legal cars in the 9-sec ET range doing wheelies off the line with these batteries. Most all RC cars and planes are now electric.

It's coming, but right now the batteries are too much $$$.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I would rather buy a Focus ST at that price.

This.

I bought a focus ST. I bet i'm having 10000x more fun in this thing, than you are in a volt. Even if it "only" gets around 25mpg. I'd rather have my dignity.

Plus, i'd rather shit in my hand and clap than buy a volt.

inb4 shitstorm

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You cannot compare an ST to a Volt in any fashion.

For 25 grand I'd buy one for a DD if it fit my needs.

McRat

Established Member
This.

I bought a focus ST. I bet i'm having 10000x more fun in this thing, than you are in a volt. Even if it "only" gets around 25mpg. I'd rather have my dignity.

Plus, i'd rather shit in my hand and clap than buy a volt.

inb4 shitstorm

Dignity + Focus = undefined set.

McRat

Established Member
PS - I've owned a Focus. And many other Fords. The Focus is an excellent car. But if someone says a Focus has Dignity and a Volt does not ... They are fair game. :D

McRat

Established Member
Come on man, a Volt? You are better than this...

It's not for me hoser. :D

Nothing we currently have is less than 440rwhp. Needed a car to teach the kids with.

Since EV's are a modern technology, I can teach them something about science at the same time.

I wanted the Spark EV, and I was going to hotrod it. But wifey said NO. :D

:banana:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Taxpaying Americans wrapped a $250,000 bill around every one made. THAT'S why they are selling so cheap. Take good care of "our" car OP.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member

I'm sorry, but I missed the part where your volt is a 9 second car.

Dignity + Focus = undefined set.

Focus ST*

PS - I've owned a Focus. And many other Fords. The Focus is an excellent car. But if someone says a Focus has Dignity and a Volt does not ... They are fair game. :D

You may have owned a focus, but have you owned a focus st? Focus ST is a great handling car, decently quick, has recaro's, a turbo, and a 6 speed.

What does your volt have?

Seems like I struck a nerve there.

Off to the Lib-mobile!

McRat

Established Member
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where your volt is a 9 second car.

Focus ST*

You may have owned a focus, but have you owned a focus st? Focus ST is a great handling car, decently quick, has recaro's, a turbo, and a 6 speed.

What does your volt have?

Seems like I struck a nerve there.

Off to the Lib-mobile!

Dude.

I have a heavily modified Z06 with a rollbar and 6 different kinds of wheels and tires for it for different kinds of racing.

A Focus ST is probably pretty nice, but it is neither an EV nor a training car.

No, EV's ain't for everyone. But you might have noticed some posts from folk who think the price drop is nice.

And that is what the title of the thread is about.;-)

:pepper:

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
It's not for me hoser. :D

Nothing we currently have is less than 440rwhp. Needed a car to teach the kids with.

Since EV's are a modern technology, I can teach them something about science at the same time.

I wanted the Spark EV, and I was going to hotrod it. But wifey said NO. :D

:banana:

:beer: good luck Bill Nye

Users who are viewing this thread