What does a new Volt cost?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Dude, sick.

I'm 21 and am about to buy a C6Z. Big deal :bored:

All im saying is i'd rather buy a focus st over a governmental motors car. They are so cheap because the taxpayers, I.E. me and you, funded it and GM doesnt sell to many of them so they have to give them away.

Weren't they like $40k new? without all the tax incentives and rebates and shit?

McRat

Established Member
Dude, sick.

I'm 21 and am about to buy a C6Z. Big deal :bored:

All im saying is i'd rather buy a focus st over a governmental motors car. They are so cheap because the taxpayers, I.E. me and you, funded it and GM doesnt sell to many of them so they have to give them away.

Weren't they like $40k new? without all the tax incentives and rebates and shit?

Yes, they MSRP over $42k with the advanced safety options.

Hence the purpose of this thread. IF YOU WANT AN EV, now is the time. I imagine that Ford, Nissan, Honda, and others will follow suit.

I liked the Volt because you can run it all electric for 38+ miles or run it on gasoline. Unlimited range, or pure electric.

The .GOV gives most this money to Toyota.

As far as that vette thingy goes, I have a lot of experience with cars. The vette is no exception. 2 engines, 4 rear ends, 2 trans, 6? sets of brakes, 3 clutches, etc.

Never buy a used car from me. Because it was USED. :rockon:

But this is for the kids. Once they get good and ready, they learn to race.

McRat

Established Member
Bottom Line, car guys do not own Prius' and and volts.

I didn't buy a Prius. :burn:

I have Yamahas, KTM's, and Mitutoyo's.

But everything I own with 4/6 wheels is Domestic.

The Volt will vanish in 3 years (you must keep it 3 years or pay back the tax incentives).

"I fear not Hitler, Tojo, nor Mussolini. For I drive American Iron, and will slay thee with 16 deadly pushrods!" - McRat

:dancenana:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You should get a bumper sticker that says something like, "Thanks! Your taxes helped me afford this car!"

25K. At 65mph, in the hills, with headlights, AC and radio, what kind of range do you have?

2013 + all advanced safety options (frontal collision avoidance, lane change warning, backup camera + warning, pedestrian warning, etc).

After all rebates and California taxes and registration: $24,836.

So, if you want to play with electricity, now is the time. We bought the last unit at my favorite dealer. I think the deal ends the 19th or until stock is gone.

McRat

Established Member
think they cost around $200,000 paid for by the 53% that pay taxes

Don't worry. My 2013 $9k tax rebate will be offset by my 2013 >$150k tax bill. How much do I take home a year? <$80k. But I'm an employer, and we are evil.

I didn't make the .GOV rebate. I think it's stupid. But I'm not going to heat my house by burning Franklins.

You want to bitch about the tax codes, go to www.pissintothewind.com

:rollseyes

Last edited:

McRat

Established Member
You should get a bumper sticker that says something like, "Thanks! Your taxes helped me afford this car!"

25K. At 65mph, in the hills, with headlights, AC and radio, what kind of range do you have?

Shiit, I just got it today! :shrug:

The dash said 28mi elec, and 288mi gas. I don't know yet.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
GM spent over a billion dollars on the EV1. Why? The government said all car makers would have to sell EV's.

But the import lobbyists talked Congress into backing off. So GM ate a billion for not bribing politicians.

If you got a chance to drive an EV1, you'd know that it was a bad-ass electric. Quicker than most cars sold. But it had such high tech parts (mostly aerospace quality parts made by Hughes) that they could not make money on them, they leased them at a loss, then crushed them when the lease was over, so as not to let the technology $$$ go to competitors.

I thought the primary purpose of the EV1 was to fulfill what the CARB was planning to impose (strictly in CA)? If I recall, they were trying to mandate that X amount of vehicles sold would need to be zero emission vehicles. It was GM who lobbied with CARB to ultimately drop this requirement. As soon as this was dropped, the whole EV1 program didn't need to exist anymore, especially since it was hemorrhaging money for GM.

There are only a handful of EV1's that avoided getting crushed, as they were donated to universities and museums (although mostly neutered of its original functions). As far as GM protecting its technology, it wasn't too successful, as some students found that the EV1's components were mostly identical to GM's EV S10 pickup, which was readily available to the public. It didn't take much to undo what GM did in protecting the technology.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
However, this was for the kids.

I don't WANT them racing it. Just good mileage and cheap insurance, and learn about Electric Vehicle Technology.

You can race any car. It doesn't matter what it is. Have your kid get his own damn car with his own money. Or get the Focus ST and programme the MyKey....Why would you want an electric car now when there are so many awesome cars on the market right now? Gas mileage isn't the only factor in car ownership.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...lion-vehicles--helps-parents-keep-teens-.html

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
You should have looked harder at the VW TDI's and the coming soon GTD's. These babies are excellent on fuel and are fun to drive.

Saying you bought a Volt on SVTP is pretty much the same as proclaiming to your father that you wear ladies thong underwear because you like the way it feels in your ass crack.

Some things you should just keep to yourself....

Last edited:

McRat

Established Member
You should have looked harder at the VW TDI's and the coming soon GTD's. These babies are excellent on fuel and are fun to drive.

Saying you bought a Volt on SVTP is pretty much the same as proclaiming to your father that you wear ladies thong underwear because you like the way it feels in your ass crack.

Some things you should just keep to yourself....

Well, I didn't buy 4x4 truck because I'm short.
I didn't buy a Camaro because I married my cousin.
I didn't buy a Vette because I have a tinnie wienne.
I didn't buy a Cadillac because I wear Depends.
I didn't get a Volt because the Prius was out of stock plus I buy Organic Paper Towels and drink Latte's.

As far a diesel goes, I got that covered. If you could dial up the TDI past 500HP, I might get interested. No diesel should make under 400HP.:nono: A boost gauge needs the same range as a speedo. At least 0-85 ...

kaz109

Established Member
Well, I didn't buy 4x4 truck because I'm short.
I didn't buy a Camaro because I married my cousin.
I didn't buy a Vette because I have a tinnie wienne.
I didn't buy a Cadillac because I wear Depends.
I didn't get a Volt because the Prius was out of stock plus I buy Organic Paper Towels and drink Latte's.

As far a diesel goes, I got that covered. If you could dial up the TDI past 500HP, I might get interested. No diesel should make under 400HP.:nono: A boost gauge needs the same range as a speedo. At least 0-85 ...

FYI ....Your vette doesn't mean tinny wiennie it means bald and mid life crisis

McRat

Established Member
FYI ....Your vette doesn't mean tinny wiennie it means bald and mid life crisis

Imagine our first (and last) Corvette Club outing. It was populated mostly by guys afraid to race them, and discussed accessory parts and car care products.

Users who are viewing this thread