what do u have to do bolt on wise to hit 03-04 cobra level??

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
If you do full bolt ons plus cams you should be running mid to high 12's, which is about what a stock Cobra will run.

By bolt ons I mean:

CAI
Headers
O/R x-pipe
Good Axleback
Cams
Gears
DRs
UD pulleys
CMCV Delete
Suspension work
Clutch?
DYNO Tune

I know some people have run high 12's without some of that stuff.

The centrifugal S/C's are coming down in price, you should be able get one or a single turbo for less than $5k now.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
03MUSCLE said:
dude you really need to put the pipe down. were talkin about a 90hp difference stock for stock no gear, intake and tuned gt is going to beat a 03/04 cobra in the 1/4mile or 0-110mph.:eek:

+1 I think you can do it with out FI, but just barely. But you will definitely need more than just gears intake and exhaust.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
+1 I think you can do it with out FI, but just barely. But you will definitely need more than just gears intake and exhaust.

Are you kidding...all you need is a K&N drop-in filter...it's all about flow mang:thumbsup:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
03MUSCLE said:
dude you really need to put the pipe down. were talkin about a 90hp difference stock for stock no gear, intake and tuned gt is going to beat a 03/04 cobra in the 1/4mile or 0-110mph.:eek:
Put the pipe down? Dude, terminators in stock form are nothing to hold high up on a pedestal. yeah they are great when you throw a few mods on em, but come on man. Did u buy your cobra modded? Have you driven a 100 percent stock one before?

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
We Have Both At Our House I Have An 03 Cobra And My Gf Has An 06gt. I 've Drivin Both Stock. She Now Puts Down 362 To The Wheels On 5psi And It Feels Just Like When My Cobra Was Stock, And Iam Not Sure Very Many Bolt-on Gt's Would Keep Up With Her, She Raced A Ls2 Gto With Dr's In The 1/8 Mile And Still Managed To Reel Him In. I Still Think Its Gonna Take At Least 5psi To Keep Up With 03/04 Power.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
03silversvt said:
Gears, intake, exhaust and you will take a 100 percent stock terminator. Not by much but u will.

So with those 3 mods and nothing else you're mid 12's or better in a S197?......probably not. Those are basically the same mods (minus my tune) and I know there is no way I could take a stock Terminator with my car. MAYBE I can get him through the middle of 3rd if I get a good launch but once he hits boost it's over.....you know 3rd gear in Terminators is the sweet spot.

Last edited:

BooRail85

Banned
well, from my personal experience with my car on 93 octane tune (mods/times in sig with 87 octane tune), I raced a friend of mine who's girlfriend has a bone stock 03 vert.. from a 20 roll in first to 125 in 4th I was ahead just over a car length.. he started catching some ground in 4th, but i hit the redline and shut it down.. had i gone to 5th he would have definitely caught me.

termy's are sick cars for sure.. but bone stock they are not THAT great.. best ive ever seen at our track for a stock one (kn filter and a catback) was a12.8 on et streets.. 107ish trap..

BooRail85

Banned
Mach1USMC said:
So with those 3 mods and nothing else you're mid 12's or better in a S197?......probably not.

very likely.. i went 13.1 with longtubes, cai, pullies and 4.30's.. that was at 5600ft elevation with 87octane tuning.. that is easily mid 12's at a lower elevation.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Mach1USMC said:
So with those 3 mods and nothing else you're mid 12's or better in a S197?......probably not. Those are basically the same mods (minus my tune) and I know there is no way I could take a stock Terminator with my car. MAYBE I can get him through the middle of 3rd if I get a good launch but once he hits boost it's over.....you know 3rd gear in Terminators is the sweet spot.
are you going by both drivers being professional? In reality it would be a drivers race man.

98bullet

Established Member
theres two guys in my club that run 12.6 to 12.8 w/ 4.10 gears, CAI, tuned, DR's, CMCV delete, exhaust, stall converter, ones an auto and the others a stick..there HP is in the 325 to the wheels range and they run these times consistantly at the track...the 05'-07' GT's are way more resonsive to mods than the 2v motor...the 05' will run 13.5 in the 1/4 stock, so you open up up the air inlet and get some exhaust and a tune ,then some traction you can easily pick up over a half second...sh*t you can pick up to .3 seconds just w/ DR's...so my point being is w/ just a few bolt on and traction you can beat a stock terminator...

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
98bullet said:
theres two guys in my club that run 12.6 to 12.8 w/ 4.10 gears, CAI, tuned, DR's, CMCV delete, exhaust, stall converter, ones an auto and the others a stick..there HP is in the 325 to the wheels range and they run these times consistantly at the track...the 05'-07' GT's are way more resonsive to mods than the 2v motor...the 05' will run 13.5 in the 1/4 stock, so you open up up the air inlet and get some exhaust and a tune ,then some traction you can easily pick up over a half second...sh*t you can pick up to .3 seconds just w/ DR's...so my point being is w/ just a few bolt on and traction you can beat a stock terminator...

There's people who have got stock Termi's in the low 12's- no mods.

I agree that the 2v motors aren't nearly as reponsive-(besides you're talking 260 hp vs at least 300- no comparison there) that's why I was trying to compare cars that were at least in the same ballpark- ie (4V) Mach1, 99-01 Cobra, (3V) S197 GT.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
03silversvt said:
are you going by both drivers being professional? In reality it would be a drivers race man.

Come on man- how many pros are out there driving these cars? Sure a lot of us take them to the track but that is a far cry from being professional.

Like I said before- I think a true bolt on S197GT will get you into the mid 12's. Which is very respectable. But there have been stock terminators in the low 12's (saw 12.1 somewhere on this board). Unless you start getting into weight reduction I don't see the S197GT getting into the low 12's with basic bolt-ons. Does that make the new GT a bad car? Nope- it's a great car, but it's no Terminator.

98bullet

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:

I agree that the 2v motors aren't nearly as reponsive-(besides you're talking 260 hp vs at least 300- no comparison there) that's why I was trying to compare cars that were at least in the same ballpark- ie (4V) Mach1, 99-01 Cobra, (3V) S197 GT.
IF THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN GET A STOCK COBRA TO RUN LOW 12'S, I WANNA SHAKE THERE HAND...HE MIGHT GET 12.5 W/ DR'S...

98bullet

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:

IF THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN GET A STOCK COBRA TO RUN LOW 12'S, I WANNA SHAKE THERE HAND...HE MIGHT GET 12.5 W/ DR'S...

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
98bullet said:

'MIGHT??...with DRs no.....12.4-.12.6s are very possible on stock F1s.it has been done a few times. I do agree with your mentality...LOW 12s..Bone stock, it ain't happenin'...however...12.5s with DRs???

Both of you made incorrect posts...IMO.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
To the OP why worry about the small stuff just go all out and pull that motor get it forged and throw a whipple on it or a KB and then worry about modded cobras and vettes, not stock termi's (if there is such a thing) Belive me I know and you won't even look back at your decision.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
'MIGHT??...with DRs no.....12.4-.12.6s are very possible on stock F1s.it has been done a few times. I do agree with your mentality...LOW 12s..Bone stock, it ain't happenin'...however...12.5s with DRs???

Both of you made incorrect posts...IMO.

I don't have the time or inclination to do a search on the time slip section- but it's been done.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Wild Stallion said:
To the OP why worry about the small stuff just go all out and pull that motor get it forged and throw a whipple on it or a KB and then worry about modded cobras and vettes, not stock termi's (if there is such a thing) Belive me I know and you won't even look back at your decision.

X10000000

Best advice yet.

Users who are viewing this thread