what do u have to do bolt on wise to hit 03-04 cobra level??

MattP 343

Established Member
There was an online article a while back of a 5spd GT with just intake/tune, minor weight reduction and DRs running 12.7-12.9 all day long.

I know guys with less mods then me hitting 13.0s (Stingers, Short Throw, Wheels/Tires, 390s, Intake/tune) Granted you have to be able to drive...Regardless to run competitively against most Terminators (Pully/Tune) you see on the street you will need a blower or some sort- end of story.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
91frppgt said:
thats alot of work just to get 12's :dw:

hell i'm at [email protected] with a stock auto :pepper:
a b/s shit mail order tune, steeda UD pullies, jms intake, and axleback.

I live in Vegas, where we consistantly see 5000+ ft DA's.

I've seen many terminators and Z06's run 13 sec passes with decent drivers here. Especially if they are on stock tires.

I'll be happy with 13.5's with my current mods.

Oman_cobra

Established Member
03/04 cobras are beast machines..
impressive power, but what would i reccommend is:-
Long tube Headers
X pipe
axle back
CMDP "Charge motion delete plates"
SCT tune
allum. shift
gears
throttle body
CAI (JLT, C&L or Steeda)

this is what im planning to do with my car, and i guess it'll do ok and level the 03/04 cobra's

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
A little on and off subject. When I did my axleback on my 07 I noticed that the pipping the mates right up to the rear section of the axleback is very restrictive. Above the rear end housing, the exhaust almost pancakes it looks like, which seems to be a huge exhaust/power restriction. Anyone else notice this?

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
blck04gt said:
A little on and off subject. When I did my axleback on my 07 I noticed that the pipping the mates right up to the rear section of the axleback is very restrictive. Above the rear end housing, the exhaust almost pancakes it looks like, which seems to be a huge exhaust/power restriction. Anyone else notice this?

Mine has a mandrel bend in it from the factory.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
91frppgt said:
thats alot of work just to get 12's :dw:

hell i'm at [email protected] with a stock auto :pepper:
a b/s shit mail order tune, steeda UD pullies, jms intake, and axleback.

I'm typically racing at 5000 ft DA, so it may throw off my numbers a little.

I ran 13.97 stock, and I haven't seen anyone else get into the 13's here. But I've only been a few times.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Win7ermute said:
Why does anyone use 390 as a stock hp number for a terminator in this sort of debate ?

Same reason people use stock numbers of 300 for the S197. I have seen and heard of many people dynoing 275 rwhp stock. If you figure 15% loss that is 320 crank, if you figure 10% loss it is 305.

They were conservative on the S197 #'s also, the 99 cobra debacle taught Ford a lesson.

If you figure the same percentage of conservativity for the 03/04 cobra it would be 415 crank HP, which is 375 whp (ish). That is pretty reasonable.

CobraRyan

Banned
Yea all those mods to put those 05 GT's in the 12's and the gears and what not. but after the 1/4 the termy puts buslengths on the s197. I say on the street you need a procharged GT to hang with a stock term. I drove mine stock for two years and spanked countless bolt on s197....

MattP 343

Established Member
CobraRyan said:
Yea all those mods to put those 05 GT's in the 12's and the gears and what not. but after the 1/4 the termy puts buslengths on the s197. I say on the street you need a procharged GT to hang with a stock term. I drove mine stock for two years and spanked countless bolt on s197....
A properly driven S197 GT with the H.O. procharger is an 11 second car...

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
MattP 343 said:
A properly driven S197 GT with the H.O. procharger is an 11 second car...

....with exhaust, CAI, pulley's, tune, fuel upgrade. Which is what normally people do when they go SC.

Same tune, pulley, exhaust, CAI, and fuel upgrade on a Term.....well you get my point.

Did ride in a buddy's tuned, pulley'd, full exhaust 06 GT the other day and I have to admit I was impressed. Would still get raped by 99% of Terminators out there but it felt pretty stout none the less.

MattP 343

Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
....with exhaust, CAI, pulley's, tune, fuel upgrade. Which is what normally people do when they go SC.

Same tune, pulley, exhaust, CAI, and fuel upgrade on a Term.....well you get my point.

Did ride in a buddy's tuned, pulley'd, full exhaust 06 GT the other day and I have to admit I was impressed. Would still get raped by 99% of Terminators out there but it felt pretty stout none the less.
You said you will need a "procharged gt to hang with a stock term." Not...You will need a procharged gt to hang with a BPU Term...Im sure you get my point

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
MattP 343 said:
You said you will need a "procharged gt to hang with a stock term." Not...You will need a procharged gt to hang with a BPU Term...Im sure you get my point

I do get your point bro...and procharged GT's are sick AND will hang with and probably even beat a STOCK Terminator.

I guess my point is the vast majority of Terminators are not stock....so this argument is almost a moot point. Perhaps the question by the OP should have been "what do I have to do to keep up with a basic bolt on Terminator"? ie: CAI, pulley, exhaust, tuned, Terminator. I'd say the majority of Terminators out there have these mods. In which case you'll need more than just a BASIC bolton Procharged GT, not saying it can't be done though. Just add to your list- ported heads, cams, 3.73's, and a 75 shot and your "basic bolt on" Terminator will be a distant memory. If you really want to make sure those pesky bolt on Terminators stay behind you, ditch the Centri SC and get the STS, HPTT, or Hellion instead. With those mods you should be 550+, good enough for high 10's low 11's.- hell, that's Z06 territory!!!:rockon:

Then you'll have the best of both worlds- dominating power with old school looks, "better" interior (I'm not a fan of the S197 interior but apparently some of you are) better handling, and stiffer chassis.

Last edited:

MattP 343

Established Member
Haha its all good, I knew what you were saying just figured I would try to give you a hard time. :)

Turbos are definitely sick, but you could easily push the boost up on a procharger/whipple/KB and get close to the 550# but unlike the Terminators, us poor GTs do not have forged internals and even 475 to the wheels is pushing it. Paper machet' (sp.?) Rods FTL!!!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
MattP 343 said:
Haha its all good, I knew what you were saying just figured I would try to give you a hard time. :)

Turbos are definitely sick, but you could easily push the boost up on a procharger/whipple/KB and get close to the 550# but unlike the Terminators, us poor GTs do not have forged internals and even 475 to the wheels is pushing it. Paper machet' (sp.?) Rods FTL!!!

No worries man...I figured you were just egging me on:beer:

I feel your pain too in the Mach1- can a brotha (or cracker in my case) get forged internals in a non-SVT vehicle? Sheesh- I'd be more than happy to pay extra for some sort of "factory high-performance package" or something. It definitely sucks that we're limited to about 450-475 hp due to some cheap/weak internals just because Ford wanted to pinch a few pennies:mj:

Users who are viewing this thread