What diff for OT?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Agreed. I guess my point was is it a practical enough difference that would prevent the seals from melting? One of the reasons I went to a True Trac was to try and lower the axle oil temps. With the stock exhaust routing, it made no difference. I melted seals pre and post True Trac.

Now that I've heat shielded the exhaust, but not yet installed the diff cooler, I noticed a significant difference (non-measured) in temp drops. Enough to do a 25 minute session without the tale tell drip or crackle of boiling oil, so far.

Dumps would make a difference as would side exhausts/diff coolers etc.

Sorry, can't help on pricing but do agree its still worth going to a T2R or True Trac versus the clutch pack diff. :)

You are just postponing the inevitable. Put a diff cooler in the car! :poke:

These damn things get hot on track unless you're doing 'track trouring'. ;-)

I'm not a big fan of the OEM posi. I burned up the OEM diff in my 2007 Shelby GT500 in less than 6,000 miles. It's getting a T2R sometime this Winter along with some 3:73's.

FWIW

Maynor

Established Member
Friendly poke noted and concur, its going on this winter if I don't have it sold first. Just picked up a dedicated track car with 7 liters of naturally aspirated goodness and no, its not a Z06. :)

Admiral

Established Member
Another vote for the T2R, I put one in and never had to fool with it again. Both the OEM and T2R will puke fluid during a 20 min OT session for me. My advice: if you don't get a cooler at least run a long tube up into the trunk with an overflow or vent end to allow for the fluid expansion.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Both the OEM and T2R will puke fluid during a 20 min OT session for me. My advice: if you don't get a cooler at least run a long tube up into the trunk with an overflow or vent end to allow for the fluid expansion.

I have not done this yet, but I have not puked diff fluid yet either(must be the touring on stock springs and shocks:p)

I must say I am very happy with my $200.00 cheaper True Trac!
I have not driven a T2R car, so I can't comment on the bias ratio effects.

Admiral (Mike) is a very fast veteran driver, one of our best instructors and knows how to put heat in things!:pepper: He is a great info source of helpful track info.

For me after reading MANY reviews, I went for the savings.
At the time I was shopping mine the T2R was not having quality issues, where as the True Trac was still trying to over come the damage it's 2 bolt versions did to it's reputation.

I suspect most of the T2R guys are veterans(IE: FAST!!) and knew about the 2 bolt probs and did not want to risk it even with the supposed improved new design.

I am not aware of any True Trac failures at this time, but that's just my circle of internet and Houston Track amigos.

I like the idea of exhaust wrap for rear exit IRS Mustangs, I also like the extended vent hose with burp bottle.

Aside from the obvious need for a diff fix, I would do a gauge 1st(although mines not installed yet:bash:) Then go incremental.

2. Burp catch

3. Exhaust wrap(assuming a rear exit exhaust)

If you are still burping check the boil point of your diff fluid. I'm using Royal Purple Max Gear in 75W140.

The heat reduction of the gear type diffs is minimal IMO, the gears still generate friction and friction = heat.

The gear types allow you to put down and sooner on corner exit, while maintaining traction, and the longevity is not even comparable to clutch types.

I would do a diff cooler only after all else combined fails, It's a bang for the buck thing.

If you had a stick axle car, re-clutching the diff is a lot easier and cheaper. It would still benefit greatly from the gear type diff though.

Last edited:

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Thanks for some good suggestions. I'll take a look at the T2R and the True Trac. The OEM worked fine with street tires. As soon as I threw on a set of V710s, it started to slip. Even with Hoosier KONIs it was slipping...so badly last weekend that I had to alter my lines so that I could lay down power. I ended up shredding my inside rear on the second day. I will also work on the heat shielding. That has to be big. I've experienced how hot unshielded pipes and catbacks can get; caught my back seat on fire but that's another story. Eventually, I see a diff cooler on the list, but there are other items of much higher priority right now.

racebronco2

Established Member
I guess i must be touring also since i have never puked any dif fluid yet. I am using the royal purple fluid. I should inform the guys in the c6zo6 that we were touring. [ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/cobra-vs-c6zo6-in-the-2_176346.htm]cobra vs c6zo6 in the twistys part 2 - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]:poke:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ha ha, nice vid Carlos! :-D

Typical Corvette driver. :rollseyes Doesn't want to get passed by a Mustang! :lol:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I guess i must be touring also since i have never puked any dif fluid yet.

I did not want to admit it earlier, cause I was afraid that maybe I am just a slow driver, but I have never puked diff fluid either. Though my mechanic said my diff fluid had the worst smell he had ever experienced when I had it changed a few months ago.

I think I'll put some heat wrap on the exhaust below the diff just to help things out.

racebronco2

Established Member
I did not want to admit it earlier, cause I was afraid that maybe I am just a slow driver, but I have never puked diff fluid either. Though my mechanic said my diff fluid had the worst smell he had ever experienced when I had it changed a few months ago.

I think I'll put some heat wrap on the exhaust below the diff just to help things out.

I too didn't want to admit i was a touring driver but admitting it is the first step. :shrug: I will try to step up to Grand Touring ..... that will be my second step. What are the other 10 steps?:idea: I guess i need to watch more of bruces video's.

On a more serious note, even if i did need a cooler i couldn't install it because then i could not take all my crap to the track, 4-315's, a compact spare, a tool box, a jack, a cooler, harness bar, helmet, case of oil, impact gun, and a few more small boxes.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I've been using the DPI Platinum Track torque biasing diff. in my Griggs built 8.8 cambered SRA for the last 14 months/9 OT events and have been very happy with it's performance both on the track and on the street, it's very quiet and the power transition is positive, seamless and without lock up. DPI makes them for both SRA and IRS 8.8 applications.

Overview DPI Racing Products Online

IRS DPI Racing Products Online

SRA DPI Racing Products Online

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Just jumping in here....

When I had the stock diff, I would get black flagged for puking out so much oil down onto the pipes which would then make some nasty black smoke. I recall being in a nose to tail session with an AI car a couple years back. We would swap places to see what each other was doing. The soot on his car from my gear oil cooking off of the pipes was significant. The entire back of my car had soot on it as well.

I washed his car.

After I installed the T2R, there was none of that, but I will say the performance of it was not quite as spectacular as I expected. I still had one wheel spin issues out of the harder/tighter turns. I compensated by rolling into the throttle later. I got the diff for a song compared to most, so I wasn't going to complain. It was definitely better than the smoked out stock diff.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just jumping in here....

When I had the stock diff, I would get black flagged for puking out so much oil down onto the pipes which would then make some nasty black smoke. I recall being in a nose to tail session with an AI car a couple years back. We would swap places to see what each other was doing. The soot on his car from my gear oil cooking off of the pipes was significant. The entire back of my car had soot on it as well.

I washed his car.

After I installed the T2R, there was none of that, but I will say the performance of it was not quite as spectacular as I expected. I still had one wheel spin issues out of the harder/tighter turns. I compensated by rolling into the throttle later. I got the diff for a song compared to most, so I wasn't going to complain. It was definitely better than the smoked out stock diff.

Troy:

You didn't state whether or not you had a diff cooler. A Torsen T2R is no different than any other posi traction unit. When they get hot, and they will without a cooler, they will fail just like any other piece of mechanical equipment that is operating beyond it's recommended temperature range or beyond the temperature range of lubricant used.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I didn't have one. I was under the impression that as there was a lot less friction in the T2R that it would not generate the temps the stock diff did.

I'm sure I put some wear on it. :)

Doc.stang

Established Member
I like the idea of exhaust wrap for rear exit IRS Mustangs, I also like the extended vent hose with burp bottle.

Aside from the obvious need for a diff fix, I would do a gauge 1st(although mines not installed yet:bash:) Then go incremental.
2. Burp catch
3. Exhaust wrap(assuming a rear exit exhaust)

regarding #1,
how involved is the gauge?
any pics of where you planted the probe?
does the whole diff come out /apart? or just drain, place it and refill?

i have a '98 svt, non irs (live axle and SRA are synonamous . . . right?)
so no cooler at all,

i am planning on upgrading to a torsen t2r, and 31 spline axles in january.
is the gauge something that should wait till then to go in? or is it simple enough i could go ahead and do it now, for an even earlier baseline, before deciding on if i need a cooler?

thans
doc

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
regarding #1,
how involved is the gauge?
any pics of where you planted the probe?
does the whole diff come out /apart? or just drain, place it and refill?

i have a '98 svt, non irs (live axle and SRA are synonamous . . . right?)
so no cooler at all,

i am planning on upgrading to a torsen t2r, and 31 spline axles in january.
is the gauge something that should wait till then to go in? or is it simple enough i could go ahead and do it now, for an even earlier baseline, before deciding on if i need a cooler?

thans
doc

The gauge is pretty easy to do, although with a SRA (live axle) there is much less need for a diff cooler if any at all depending on how hardcore the car is.

You can easily put the temp probe in the fill plug, that will be the easiest place to install.

Overall, I would not worry about diff temp or a cooler in a SRA car.

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
I ended up getting the T2R from MM. They said it was actually developed for autocross but that they use it for roadracing. I found much improvement over the burned up OEM from last fall. It laid down power evenly to both wheels. When I got on it hard, the back-end would step out with both wheels spinning. There was none of the "pick up the inside wheel and spin freely". My mechanic also felt the difference was significant during his "spirited" test drive. I tested it at VIR in February when it was pretty cool outside. Next, I will wrap the exhaust near the diff in an effort to control the temp.

keith89

Established Member
reviving an old thread. I currently have a trutrac but it seems there's a lot of play in the worm gears. This causes a lot of slop that allows the driveshaft to rotate by hand about 10-15% before the axles move. The result is loud clunking as the driveshaft bounces back and forth. Pinion depth and mesh seem to be ok. I was wondering if the tolerances in the T2, T2R and DPI platinum differentials are better than the trutrac. I've been hearing more and more complaints about the tolerances in the trutracs lately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread