What diff for OT?

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
My limited slip differential is not so limited anymore. Shortly after I started tracking with slicks, I noticed that my inside rear tire would spin on corner exit. Over the past two years, this has gotten worse and the carbon fiber clutch disks in the diff are probably just carbon now. On straight acceleration, the diff feels fairly locked with both wheels pulling. I am currently running stock suspension with SFC. Shall I just rebuild the OEM diff or should I look into an aftermarket diff? What is everyone running?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Chris, from all the research I have done, the T2r is the way to go. I have one in the garage waiting to go in.

Maynor

Established Member
Detroit True-Trac. The T2R's were having problems for quite a while. Don't know if they've changed recently. I'm running the True Trac and wish I made the switch as soon as I bougth the car.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The Torsen T2R is simply one of the best and most trouble free mods I have put on my car, period!

After tearing up the OEM posi in less than a season, the Torsen went in and it has not missed a beat since!

Putting Torsen T2R's in my other two cars this Winter.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

/thread

racebronco2

Established Member
I've had mt tr2 in my car since the beginning of '05. They were having problems with people with slicks at the drags. I have plenty of trips down the 1/4 mile with no problems which included several 5000rpm starts.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Guess I got lucky with when I found my T2r. I got it under $300 and it had never been used. With the good reports of the Trutrac and a savings of $200, I would have to give the Trutrac a try. It has to be better than factory regardless.

Chris, if you decide to stay with the factory diff. my friend can rebuild it for you and put new gears in at the same time.

Maynor

Established Member
I saw no real difference in fluid temps with the True Trac versus the Ford Clutch diff. Just as easy to boil the fluid with either setup. I melted pinion seals twice. Best bang for the buck for heat reduction was heat shielding the exhaust where it pass beneath the axle.

My axle is also now tapped and plumbed for a diff cooler which is still sitting uninstalled. For 20-30 min sessions, the exhaust heat shielding has made enough of a difference to put that off until the winter.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I saw no real difference in fluid temps with the True Trac versus the Ford Clutch diff. Just as easy to boil the fluid with either setup. I melted pinion seals twice. Best bang for the buck for heat reduction was heat shielding the exhaust where it pass beneath the axle.

My axle is also now tapped and plumbed for a diff cooler which is still sitting uninstalled. For 20-30 min sessions, the exhaust heat shielding has made enough of a difference to put that off until the winter.

I agree about heat wrapping the exhaust. I saw a 20 degree difference in diff temp just from doing that. I've also noticed if there is a slight breeze the diff will stay pretty cool.

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
Bruce, can't remember, are you still running normally routed exhaust? BTW, my results have no measurements behind them. Just getting under the car and listening for the crackle of boiling fluid. Most of which I attribute to the exhaust heat radiating up into the axle exasperating the problem. YMMV.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, can't remember, are you still running normally routed exhaust? BTW, my results have no measurements behind them. Just getting under the car and listening for the crackle of boiling fluid. Most of which I attribute to the exhaust heat radiating up into the axle exasperating the problem. YMMV.

I'm running dumps currently but hope to fab up a side exit soon!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member

Well... there is a difference in temp when you go to a non friction type diff.

Maynor

Established Member
Agreed. I guess my point was is it a practical enough difference that would prevent the seals from melting? One of the reasons I went to a True Trac was to try and lower the axle oil temps. With the stock exhaust routing, it made no difference. I melted seals pre and post True Trac.

Now that I've heat shielded the exhaust, but not yet installed the diff cooler, I noticed a significant difference (non-measured) in temp drops. Enough to do a 25 minute session without the tale tell drip or crackle of boiling oil, so far.

Dumps would make a difference as would side exhausts/diff coolers etc.

Sorry, can't help on pricing but do agree its still worth going to a T2R or True Trac versus the clutch pack diff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread