What did you do to your foxbody mustang today?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Pulled the car out for the last time this season. Wanted to warm the engine up so I could drain the oil and do an oil change. QUick clean of the interior and back into the garage.

Plans for the off-season. Change out the flowmasters to some Borla Pro XS mufflers to try and quiet the car down a bit, and change out the rear caliper brackets from SN95 to fox offset for my new wheels which I hope to mount in the spring.

View attachment 1771167
What seats are those? I feel like my 03 cobra seats are too big.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Mustang5L5

Established Member
What seats are those? I feel like my 03 cobra seats are too big.

Recaro LS-B seats, which i recovered in sort of an 03/04 cobra style. These seats were orginally from a 1989 VW. I tore them all apart and rebuilt them myself.

They are a bit too "fragile" for my tastes and the bolsters are aggressive. Every time i get in/out i have to carefully climb over the bolster in fear of a rivet on my jeans catching the material and damaging it. Also, once in the seat forget about getting your wallet. They are ok for the few miles i actually drive my car.

I had 99-04 GT leather seats in previously. They were big and sat high, but were perfect if you put miles on the car. If i ever start crusing around more, i may swap seats back to those.

The Recaro's photograph well, but they aren't an every day sort of seat IMHO

1669732788827.png

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Man I need those. How can I do this?
Entire car or the wheel swap?

Wheels are discontinued, and i had to modify each one to fit. ENgine and car can still be bought new right now. The engine swap was something I wanted to do because the car comes with a supercharged engine with a holley. My car is N/A with a cobra intake, so i wanted the stock HO engine in the bay.

I debated pulling one of my 93 cobras apart to steal the engine and swap in the supercharged engine, but that's too much work.

Putting this on my desk at work

1669861098478.png

And then you do this
1669861168286.png

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
Entire car or the wheel swap?

Wheels are discontinued, and i had to modify each one to fit. ENgine and car can still be bought new right now. The engine swap was something I wanted to do because the car comes with a supercharged engine with a holley. My car is N/A with a cobra intake, so i wanted the stock HO engine in the bay.

I debated pulling one of my 93 cobras apart to steal the engine and swap in the supercharged engine, but that's too much work.

Putting this on my desk at work

View attachment 1771605

And then you do this
View attachment 1771606
I just meant the car.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I just meant the car.

All over Ebay. Search "GMP Mustang". They have released a number of different models and colors and trims. The LX/GT hatch and convertible molds are a lot more accurate than their coupe models.

They release a new one every few months. The black one I have is still listed here and you can preorder the next releases as well.

I have the red coupe and red GT vert on preorder.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
You guys who customize these models amaze me. I would imagine that that aren't a slew of parts to choose from when you're customizing.

Yeah, it's really tricky. To get the wheels to work, i had to buy some plastic dowel stock, turn it down to the right diameter and then drill out the wheels and glue the rods in. Was a little work but in the end, the wheels all spin and the front wheels turn left to right like they should.

The engine was easy, as it's a GMP release for a similar model. Plug and play on that. I'd like to find a set of 1:18 recaros to swap in, to make it more closely match my car. I've found a set but they are in Europe and shipping i rediculous. Trying to find a cheaper alternative

Other guys go crazy with cross-brand swaps. Once guy has taken coyote engines from S550's and swapped them into the Fox models. A lot of work there.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
@Black Gold 380R they’re speaking your language
LOL, they sure are Todd. The Maisto 03 Cobra models are very easy to modify. Repaints and wheel swaps are a piece of cake compared to these GMP models. Not to mention cost. A Maisto model averages around $30 to $40. These GMP cars start at $139. The GMP cars are also VERY intricate compared to the Maisto diecast.

@Mustang5L5 is doing a great job here (hats of to you brother for doing this), but he is not doing a repaint. Makes it a little easier to deal with and he still had a significant undertaking replacing the wheels. And he used GMP wheels and it still took a significant amount of modification to make them work.

So, when people ask me to make them a Fox Body Mustang I normally say I can't do it. These GMP cars are more intricate so you risk breaking wiper arms or cracking glass while trying to drill out rivets during disassembly. Then you throw in the cost to modify/fabricate them. Mustang5L5 said he had to buy some plastic dowel stock, turn it down to the right diameter and then drill out the wheels and glue the rods in just to make the new wheels work. That's a lot of work on just changing the wheels.

I see a $139 diecast car. A $25 5.0 engine and a set of discontinued wheels that may have cost $25 when new. You're looking at $189 in parts alone. Then you throw in a repaint and labor on top of that and one of these built for you could be close to $500. And you know what kind of quality someone will want at the $500 price point? LOL.

So, I applaud Mustang5L5 for doing this on his own. Very cool to see people doing these kinds of projects.....

I think the most difficult diecast build I ever did was Terminator 5 0, just because of all the lights I installed....

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Established Member
LOL, they sure are Todd. The Maisto 03 Cobra models are very easy to modify. Repaints and wheel swaps are a piece of cake compared to these GMP models. Not to mention cost. A Maisto model averages around $30 to $40. These GMP cars start at $139. The GMP cars are also VERY intricate compared to the Maisto diecast.

@Mustang5L5 is doing a great job here (hats of to you brother for doing this), but he is not doing a repaint. Makes it a little easier to deal with and he still had a significant undertaking replacing the wheels. And he used GMP wheels and it still took a significant amount of modification to make them work.

So, when people ask me to make them a Fox Body Mustang I normally say I can't do it. These GMP cars are more intricate so you risk breaking wiper arms or cracking glass while trying to drill out rivets during disassembly. Then you throw in the cost to modify/fabricate them. Mustang5L5 said he had to buy some plastic dowel stock, turn it down to the right diameter and then drill out the wheels and glue the rods in just to make the new wheels work. That's a lot of work on just changing the wheels.

I see a $139 diecast car. A $25 5.0 engine and a set of discontinued wheels that may have cost $25 when new. You're looking at $189 in parts alone. Then you throw in a repaint and labor on top of that and one of these built for you could be close to $500. And you know what kind of quality someone will want at the $500 price point? LOL.

So, I applaud Mustang5L5 for doing this on his own. Very cool to see people doing these kinds of projects.....

I think the most difficult diecast build I ever did was Terminator 5 0, just because of all the lights I installed....

Perfectly said. I follow a few guys that really customize these things and what I did was nothing like what some folks are capable.

I did a simple disassembly and even that was a PITA resulting in one busted side mirror which i had to glue back on. But the wheels....even GMP branded wheels...were a total pain to get on. Certainly not a direct swap like some would think.

I posted that pic of my model on my IG page and had a guy DM me to ask if i could swap wheels on his GMP model. Was the red vermillion LX which I think sells for $300+ these days. I declined. Too much work and liability.

That Terminator is sick!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Perfectly said. I follow a few guys that really customize these things and what I did was nothing like what some folks are capable.

I did a simple disassembly and even that was a PITA resulting in one busted side mirror which i had to glue back on. But the wheels....even GMP branded wheels...were a total pain to get on. Certainly not a direct swap like some would think.

I posted that pic of my model on my IG page and had a guy DM me to ask if i could swap wheels on his GMP model. Was the red vermillion LX which I think sells for $300+ these days. I declined. Too much work and liability.

That Terminator is sick!

Thank you brother! Yeah, people have asked me for Fox Body diecast in the past. I have always declined. Even you working on your own car stated you broke a side mirror. These GMP cars are VERY difficult to disassemble without breaking something. I've done a wheel swap on one of my GMP cars (the blue notch with black wheels. Changed out the black wheels to chrome drag stars) and I got so frustrated I just glued the wheels on LOL. I figured, what the hell, it's just going to be sitting in a display case, why do the wheels need to roll??? LOL.

Your last paragraph is "exactly" why I decline. WAY too much work and liability involved. I don't want to be responsible for breaking someone's expensive diecast car.

Thank you for your response my friend. Really appreciate the validation. I did feel like I was wimping out when I declined to modify a GMP car, but nice to hear from someone with direct experience on how much of a pain it is.

Thank you for the compliment on my Terminator 5 0. That car was fun to build, but installing lights on a non-lighted vehicle took some ingenuity LOL....

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Thank you for your response my friend. Really appreciate the validation. I did feel like I was wimping out when I declined to modify a GMP car, but nice to hear from someone with direct experience on how much of a pain it is.

No problem. Yeah I don't think i'll modify another one quite like this again. I have it on my office desk, and now that I look at it, i can see the 5.0 engine is not quite sitting perfect. So it really needs me to take it apart again to try and fix it, but the engine (even though it's a GMP branded engine) was a pain as it was to get to sit properly. This model came with dumps for exhaust, which was glued to the body. I want to put a stock exhaust on it, so I had to drill out the mounts which made that exhaust noit usable anymore.

I didn't take much pics of my progress, but I found this one. These are the rear wheels, partially through the process. I drilled out the hubs to accept some 0.200" plastic rod i had. Glued that in place and then machined down the backside to get the right "offset". Had to go back and forth with the old wheels, and then when i got it on the car, i found it still had too much "poke" so i had to pull them off and take them down a little bit more. I also had glued the brake calipers on already, so i had to cut them and reglue them in the new position. This project probably took me 2 months start to finish just because I had to think through each modification before doing it as I was limited on parts

This pic was after gluing the dowel in, but before machining down the stubs to the right offset

1670258014397.png

Overall i love it, but it has some flaws. These latest GMP models have a LOT of QC issues like the hatch on mine. Since i have to pull this apart again to add the stock exhaust (when i find a stock LX exhaust with tailpipes to swap on), i'll address the fit then, but that's how it came out of the box.

1670258340906.png

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
No problem. Yeah I don't think i'll modify another one quite like this again. I have it on my office desk, and now that I look at it, i can see the 5.0 engine is not quite sitting perfect. So it really needs me to take it apart again to try and fix it, but the engine (even though it's a GMP branded engine) was a pain as it was to get to sit properly. This model came with dumps for exhaust, which was glued to the body. I want to put a stock exhaust on it, so I had to drill out the mounts which made that exhaust noit usable anymore.

I didn't take much pics of my progress, but I found this one. These are the rear wheels, partially through the process. I drilled out the hubs to accept some 0.200" plastic rod i had. Glued that in place and then machined down the backside to get the right "offset". Had to go back and forth with the old wheels, and then when i got it on the car, i found it still had too much "poke" so i had to pull them off and take them down a little bit more. I also had glued the brake calipers on already, so i had to cut them and reglue them in the new position. This project probably took me 2 months start to finish just because I had to think through each modification before doing it as I was limited on parts

This pic was after gluing the dowel in, but before machining down the stubs to the right offset

View attachment 1772161

Overall i love it, but it has some flaws. These latest GMP models have a LOT of QC issues like the hatch on mine. Since i have to pull this apart again to add the stock exhaust (when i find a stock LX exhaust with tailpipes to swap on), i'll address the fit then, but that's how it came out of the box.

View attachment 1772162
Man, it looks so good with those wheels. I would love to take one of mine apart and try a custom paint job. LOL, yeah I know, be careful what you wish for LOL.... I'd probably break more than disassemble LMAO!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really LOVE those wheels! They make, looking at the photo from the roofline down, look like the real deal.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Replaced the battery cables on the 90 vert. They may have been the original. The negative cable has a lot of cracks in it. I'll still put them in a box and store away.
7c8fe0ed20e609e19f8af2c16dc1a409.jpg
b1bdd10652acd08677dc8585a0c1d736.jpg
e2109cf585e2700d66f04da1fc666a7a.jpg
655dd19b72533b193745be5520e83d79.jpg

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Those cables you took off are HOLY grail material there...... do not toss those (or sell them to me).....

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Those cables you took off are HOLY grail material there...... do not toss those (or sell them to me).....
LoL.

Yeah I'm boxing them up. I have the original ones off my 93 as well. I believe those are in better condition.

What are they even worth?

Some guy on Facebook wanted to buy my stock plug wires off my 93. I think he was willing to pay 250.

Users who are viewing this thread