What did you do for your Terminator today?

Saleen498

Established Member
How was it pulling the actual rear view mirror off? I’ve got replace the little gasket so mine stops shaking.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Im assuming you mean the actual glass? I pressed them in all the way on the door side of the mirror, then slid a small flat screwdriver behind the glass to pry the 3 visible clips loose from the motor and then pulled back on the glass. Came right off without breaking any off the plastic clips.

03venomdsg

Established Member
Took the cobra out to our local yearly ford show yesterday and came across this original owner 4k mile '00 R.

Attachments

• PXL_20230604_162844859.jpg
    PXL_20230604_162844859.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230604_162851982.jpg
    PXL_20230604_162851982.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 73

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll have to update your signature again. LOL. Let us know how you like the KMJ alternator after a few months of use.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Put #4 in yesterday. No idea why I saved all of them....lol! From left to right: stock Motorcraft, Mechman, Mechman, KMJ. All 3 of the dead ones had blown out solder joints between the stator and rectifier.

View attachment 1796506
Did you send either of the Mechmans back for repair??? New one looks alot bigger, I would be cussing it out for sure.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Put #4 in yesterday. No idea why I saved all of them....lol! From left to right: stock Motorcraft, Mechman, Mechman, KMJ. All 3 of the dead ones had blown out solder joints between the stator and rectifier.

View attachment 1796506
That reminds me of my collection. I have a stock one somewhere. The J2Fab in front of my tool box. The KMJ is currently installed. Oh, and the high output one I picked up locally is on the shelf.

olympic

Established Member
Did you send either of the Mechmans back for repair??? New one looks alot bigger, I would be cussing it out for sure.

I'm going to look into getting them repaired just to have a spare on the shelf. But I'm in Canada so the cost of shipping both ways plus courier border fees usually add up to the cost of a new one.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I don't think I've driven the Cobra in 3-4 weeks now. Bought the Vette and have been focused on that. Trying to rejuvenate her a bit by replacing some worn items that make my OCD flare up.

I need to make a decision on exhaust. Long story short, the cats are junk so the engine light is on and I need to pass emissions by 7/14 to get my plates. I can replace the cats with used OEM units for $350-400 and worry about the fun stuff later. Orrrrrr I can go for the gold and do full exhaust and a tune now. I intend to do long tubes eventually anyway; I just can't decide if I wanna drop another wad of cash on pipes so soon.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm going to look into getting them repaired just to have a spare on the shelf. But I'm in Canada so the cost of shipping both ways plus courier border fees usually add up to the cost of a new one.
Back in the day, Mechman alternators were the go-to replacement. Are they not as reliable today? Just curious. What's the top recommended alternator for the Terminator today?

olympic

Established Member
Back in the day, Mechman alternators were the go-to replacement. Are they not as reliable today? Just curious. What's the top recommended alternator for the Terminator today?

My second Mechman alt lasted 7 years and maybe 15000 miles. I don't take my car to redline very often and weather above 30C/85F is pretty rare. Not great longevity in my opinion. From what I could see the solder connections between the stator and rectifier got too hot and melted.

Murderedsvt

Established Member
I had a j2fab last 6 months called and emailed for a rebuild that I offered to pay and still haven’t heard anything for weeks. I also left a voicemail and nothing I currently have a kmj and had the shaft mess up he rebuilt it pretty fast running strong.

Murderedsvt

Established Member
Can't go wrong with kmj's lifetime warranty. As long as you have the correct pulley on it.
Exactly even though it’s impossible to get a 3.0 Metco pulley. I had one sent a month ago and it was manufactured wrong had a wooble to it, still not in stock but a member had one brand new I got it running now.

LS WUT

Established Member
I don't think I've driven the Cobra in 3-4 weeks now. Bought the Vette and have been focused on that. Trying to rejuvenate her a bit by replacing some worn items that make my OCD flare up.

I need to make a decision on exhaust. Long story short, the cats are junk so the engine light is on and I need to pass emissions by 7/14 to get my plates. I can replace the cats with used OEM units for $350-400 and worry about the fun stuff later. Orrrrrr I can go for the gold and do full exhaust and a tune now. I intend to do long tubes eventually anyway; I just can't decide if I wanna drop another wad of cash on pipes so soon.
Get it over with. Buy now worry about it later. I hate doing things twice.

01yellercobra

Established Member
IMO, there isn't one anymore. If you look around enough there are problems with all of them. My KMJ was DOA. He rebuilt it, but it took him 6 weeks to get it back to me. That's why I have spares now.

I had a j2fab last 6 months called and emailed for a rebuild that I offered to pay and still haven’t heard anything for weeks. I also left a voicemail and nothing I currently have a kmj and had the shaft mess up he rebuilt it pretty fast running strong.

Don't hold your breath. I emailed, called, and messaged him on Instagram. Never heard back. The regulator is a pretty common part. I swapped it out on my J2Fab, but I want to get it checked before installing it again.

KMJ seems to recommend the 3" pulley for all of his alternators. The problem is that doesn't give the bigger versions enough RPM at idle to charge. Mine would dip into the 11's at a long light. So you guys might want to check your voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread