What did you do for your Terminator today?

olympic

Established Member
Pulled the exhaust and driveshaft for a refresh on the polishing cause it's been about 5 years. Dirty, messy work but worth it...lol!

20240207_170229.jpg

olympic

Established Member
How bad is the driveshaft to polish at first? I contemplated it last time I had it out, but decided I'm not that good at it.

I use an electric dual action sander to make the sanding reasonably quick. Liberal use of WD40 keeps the sandpaper from clogging. Start with 220 or 400 grit depending on how bad the surface of the driveshaft is then work up to 600 then 800. Then buff with brown then white compound on an appropriate buffing wheel.

I can get a near mirror polish on stainless but never have good luck on aluminum. It looks good from a few feet away but up close it's cloudy. I've watched tons of videos on how to do it correctly but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pulled the exhaust and driveshaft for a refresh on the polishing cause it's been about 5 years. Dirty, messy work but worth it...lol!

View attachment 1827815
I know polishing can be really time consuming, but the results don't lie! Well done, sir!

03' White Snake

Established Member
I use an electric dual action sander to make the sanding reasonably quick. Liberal use of WD40 keeps the sandpaper from clogging. Start with 220 or 400 grit depending on how bad the surface of the driveshaft is then work up to 600 then 800. Then buff with brown then white compound on an appropriate buffing wheel.

I can get a near mirror polish on stainless but never have good luck on aluminum. It looks good from a few feet away but up close it's cloudy. I've watched tons of videos on how to do it correctly but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
What you did already looks great!!! When I had my driveshaft cut and balanced they cleaned it up real nice for me. I didn’t polish it like you but looks good under there imo.

Need to keep sanding with higher grits. 1500, 2k, 2500, 3k if you’re looking for a mirror. The smoother the surface, the more shiny it will be. I use an angle grinder with a cutting pad to polish, then a buffing wheel for the bling. I do my exhaust every few years too.

Watch some videos of how they polish big rig wheels or fuel tanks. That will show you how it’s really done and rather quickly too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What you did already looks great!!! When I had my driveshaft cut and balanced they cleaned it up real nice for me. I didn’t polish it like you but looks good under there imo.

Need to keep sanding with higher grits. 1500, 2k, 2500, 3k if you’re looking for a mirror. The smoother the surface, the more shiny it will be. I use an angle grinder with a cutting pad to polish, then a buffing wheel for the bling. I do my exhaust every few years too.

Watch some videos of how they polish big rig wheels or fuel tanks. That will show you how it’s really done and rather quickly too.
I've watched a few of those videos and it's crazy what they can do in short work.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So, the window works. What a nightmare doing the motor and regulator. Front guide kept popping out. Got that, now putting that door panel back on due to the door lock was a major PITA. It's done and works flawless. Took a while to clean the gooey fingerprints.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
So, the window works. What a nightmare doing the motor and regulator. Front guide kept popping out. Got that, now putting that door panel back on due to the door lock was a major PITA. It's done and works flawless. Took a while to clean the gooey fingerprints.
Now pulley swap it and enjoy it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Now pulley swap it and enjoy it.
It is, been on a 2.76" VMP tuned car for a long time. I did a shit load of threads years ago on this and datalogging. Maybe did this in 08. That said, AC low is 80 PSI, high is 80PSI. Guess I need to take it to the guy and I hate that. Should be 45 and 200. Stupid car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did the ABS delete and made a couple brackets for the Mark VIII fan. Just need to get my tank back so I can trim the shroud and finish mounting everything.

Unless someone can measure their True Forged intercooler tank for me. I need to know how far down it extends over the radiator and how wide that part is.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
It is, been on a 2.76" VMP tuned car for a long time. I did a shit load of threads years ago on this and datalogging. Maybe did this in 08. That said, AC low is 80 PSI, high is 80PSI. Guess I need to take it to the guy and I hate that. Should be 45 and 200. Stupid car.
Uh oh, not the dreaded ac pressure problem! Usually means the car's going to explode within 90 days.

As someone well versed in explosives and their deconstruction, for a small fee, I'll gladly transport the vehicle to a safe location for disposal

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Uh oh, not the dreaded ac pressure problem! Usually means the car's going to explode within 90 days.

As someone well versed in explosives and their deconstruction, for a small fee, I'll gladly transport the vehicle to a safe location for disposal
Lol, something is ****ed up beyond my capabilities.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, something is ****ed up beyond my capabilities.
I would bet it’s an O-ring(s) on one of the hard lines coming down the passenger side or the evaporator is a goner. Had the same issues as you with my old Ranger. Got pissed and swapped everything out with Ford parts. Had a couple o rings completely done for and it wouldn’t hold a charge. Evaporator was also leaking because of a small crack.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I would bet it’s an O-ring(s) on one of the hard lines coming down the passenger side or the evaporator is a goner. Had the same issues as you with my old Ranger. Got pissed and swapped everything out with Ford parts. Had a couple o rings completely done for and it wouldn’t hold a charge. Evaporator was also leaking because of a small crack.
Thanks Leo. I know I tried to put a little AC leak stuff at one point last year when I tried to charge it. It wouldn't take a charge then, at least it won't blow cold.

gotjack

Established Member

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
We had a few mild days here, so I pulled the car out, gave it a quick bath and let her run for a while. Hasn't been out or ran since October last year. Man she sounded good. Now back to her home until April. Getting 8-12" of snow tomorrow.

View attachment 1828479
Business in the front , party in the back

03' White Snake

Established Member
Last edited:

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread