what clutch to get?

My96z

Established Member
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

I just completed my install. I sent my flywheel back to McLeod for replacement heat shield, and installed the Promotion Clutch with their throw out bearing. WOW is all I can say. It feels like a hydraulic set up the pedal is so smooth and light. Car is a pleasure to shift compared to the stock clutch I pulled out. It's going to be hard to baby it for 500 miles for break in.

Which kit did you get? The 650? seeing all these good reviews about ProMotions stuff, I cant wait to get mine going!

r103

Established Member
I guess I'm the only one with a problem with the Promotion clutch. I'm on my 2nd "650hp" clutch neither has held my 460hp car. I put new flywheel, TB, pivot ball, clutch fork. My stock 78k mile clutch held better than these POS clutch's.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I guess I'm the only one with a problem with the Promotion clutch. I'm on my 2nd "650hp" clutch neither has held my 460hp car. I put new flywheel, TB, pivot ball, clutch fork. My stock 78k mile clutch held better than these POS clutch's.

That is odd. Mine can do this.

MIR2012Launch.jpg

r103

Established Member
There is another guy on here with the same problem I have had with my Promotion clutch. The reason mine has not held is it tears the TB up. Then the grease gets on the disc and it slips. Like I said I installed new everything. It seems to me that the PP fingers are not all the same hieght. There for when the TB touches them it gets beat to death.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
There is another guy on here with the same problem I have had with my Promotion clutch. The reason mine has not held is it tears the TB up. Then the grease gets on the disc and it slips. Like I said I installed new everything. It seems to me that the PP fingers are not all the same hieght. There for when the TB touches them it gets beat to death.

What does Walt or Wally think?

r103

Established Member
After the first one slipped they said grease caused it to slip. So I said my bad I must have not cleaned somthing just right. So I paid for new PP and disc got new ring in flywheel Again. Installed very carefully. What do you know when the TB touches the fingers wobble wobble wobble. This one trashed new Ford Racing TB within 50 miles. I just took it easy fo break in anyway. When 500 miles hit I got on it. It did ok but I felt there may have been a slight slip. So tonight I said F%^& it! and a sprayed a 100 shot on the car clutch didn't hold at all. May be bad luck but this has now cost me $1000 and I still don't have a clutch I can use.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
After the first one slipped they said grease caused it to slip. So I said my bad I must have not cleaned somthing just right. So I paid for new PP and disc got new ring in flywheel Again. Installed very carefully. What do you know when the TB touches the fingers wobble wobble wobble. This one trashed new Ford Racing TB within 50 miles. I just took it easy fo break in anyway. When 500 miles hit I got on it. It did ok but I felt there may have been a slight slip. So tonight I said F%^& it! and a sprayed a 100 shot on the car clutch didn't hold at all. May be bad luck but this has now cost me $1000 and I still don't have a clutch I can use.

That sucks and I wish I had a better answer for you.
I guess the only option is to send it back for diagnosis.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
If money is no problem and you wanna enjoy the car like its a daily driver I went with a Mcleod RXT with Mcleod Aluminum flywheel. Softer than stock pedal feel. When you hit the pedal for the first time and you will be like WTF@@

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
hello, got a 03 cobra with a 2.3 whipple that made 607 rwhp on a dynojet with a spec 3 clutch, but i dd the car a lot and its become more n more chattery as u might say, so im looking to get a new clutch for it, i asked a local guy here that races his cobra and does lot of work on them too and he said to do a centerforce, i read about the rtx n there is some issues with adjustments that i been reading, so here im asking for advice, i also have everything stock on the tranny, its hold fine all the power but i also have not beat the car, just drive a lot on highway thanks let me know any thoughts on what to go next..looking for something better than spec..but hate the chatter unless i rev up the rpms to get more of a smoother engagement..

you daily drive it, I went through this a while ago.

Spec 3+ with soft pedal option. Broken in properly (500 city stop and go miles) and it should be fine. Its way softer than my wifes stock clutch in her Cobra. And its rated for enough power than Ill ever run in my car

Gl

TVSCobra

Established Member
Twin Disc for me next time........ RXT for the win.

I should have just done it the first time.

Last edited:

10thSVT

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a df centerforce with a aluminum flywheel in now and it is starting to slip but it has lasted for about 4 years and around 60k miles it has never had any chatter and is my dd..I need to replace it now and I have been reading all the info on all the clutches out there.. I am prob going to replace with the centerforce and replace my flywheel ring being it has done me right.. Was thinking about going with rxt but why spend the extra $$.. I don't plan on going over 650 rwhp anytime soon..

Last edited:

Demonio

Established Member
Update; I installed the promotion rated to 750hp and was a total waste of cash, useless for racing, slips really bad like a mofo, specially when smashed at a high gear, never buy another promotion..yes drives like stock n pedal effor is soft but could even hold my 607 hp..should have spend the extra cash n done it right...twin clutch next time

Jamie R.

Established Member
Not to start a bash fest here....I have been through two promotion cluthes, the 650hp and the 750hp. The 650hp slipped on the dyno at 20pounds of boost and the 750hp just slipped at the track with me. Now both of these clutches have excellent street manners and driveability and wally has been super helpful with me so again I'm not bashing here, just giving my experience. Promotions website says not to do a burnout at the track with rear disk brakes because it will toast their clutches, well I've never owned a line lock so maybe this is the reason I smoked this last 750hp clutch. My cobra only makes 592rwhp and a touch over 500 trq on the pump gas tune, the race gas tune is more but I've only been to the track so far on the pump gas tune. My cobra is procharged so I don't have the immediate torque hit that you pd guys have. I'm up in the air about what clutch to get for my cobra now for the third dang time. A positive is promotions customer service is very good and they have been very helpful with my clutch problems, we just have'nt came across one to hold in my car.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

TRBO VNM

Not to start a bash fest here....I have been through two promotion cluthes, the 650hp and the 750hp. The 650hp slipped on the dyno at 20pounds of boost and the 750hp just slipped at the track with me. Now both of these clutches have excellent street manners and driveability and wally has been super helpful with me so again I'm not bashing here, just giving my experience. Promotions website says not to do a burnout at the track with rear disk brakes because it will toast their clutches, well I've never owned a line lock so maybe this is the reason I smoked this last 750hp clutch. My cobra only makes 592rwhp and a touch over 500 trq on the pump gas tune, the race gas tune is more but I've only been to the track so far on the pump gas tune. My cobra is procharged so I don't have the immediate torque hit that you pd guys have. I'm up in the air about what clutch to get for my cobra now for the third dang time. A positive is promotions customer service is very good and they have been very helpful with my clutch problems, we just have'nt came across one to hold in my car.

Jamie R.

That is definitely part of the reason why.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Have you been to the track yet with your pm clutch? Hey maybe doing that burnout without a line lock did the clutch in before making the pass, but I'm talking like 3 seconds maybe 4 of lightly tapping the brake here, not slamming the brake pedal down, so I do have a hard time understanding how that's worse than dropping the clutch on 600 rwhp. The clutch lived through 2 passes and the third pass I let off because the car felt odd and on the video we did see smoke from under the car. The first pass we could smell the clutch, the second pass we smelled the clutch and finally the third pass was enough. Like I said maybe this is my fault but I would certainly hope a clutch capable of holding 750rwhp could take my 600 rwhp abuse. I'm in up the air on the next clutch because dangit man this is twice in now.

Jamie R.

TRBO VNM

No I haven't been because I have another issue with the car before I beat on it at the track. That said, I will tell you, PM or anyone else I did not break my clutch in as they specify. I installed it and put about 50 miles on it in city traffic like they state, but then I went on a trip to Ocean City with it where I hammered it a few times there and then on the way back a couple of time back to back.

Never did it slip or smell. I do have a line lock, but jury is out on it holding at the track since I haven't been.

My96z

Established Member
Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble. I have the 650 kit on my 657 rwhp car and damn near 700 ftlbs and its working out great for me. I have'nt had it to the track cause I am kinda paranoid to snap my tranny input shaft but I can beat on it on the street and its taking the abuse. I drove mine around easy for 1000 miles before I jumped on it. When upgrade my input shaft, I am going to just get another Promotion clutch disk.

Lots of people like the SPEC clutches, I loved the one I had in my camaro.

Jamie R.

Established Member
On the street mine was fine also with no clutch smell or slip. Trbovnm, I hope yours does hold at the track for ya and ya don't have the issues I've had.

Jamie R.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I hope so to, but I will probably be selling before I am able to really test it at the track. Maybe get there once or twice, but thinking about selling it. Whoever buys it, if they want I will install a new clutch free of charge if they don't want this one in there.

Users who are viewing this thread