what clutch to get?

Demonio

Established Member
been reading about the centerforce dfx, seem to have good reviews, not going up on power soon, so just want something that can hold my power level and is not an on/off clutch, any toughts on the dfx?

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
I've had a 3+ spec and hated it. It was a bittersweet day when it melted on my flywheel but it got replaces with I believe the 650 promotion clutch. Somewhat lighter pedal(I have the ldc freeplay as well so it is still a bit stiff) but it doesn't chatter like the spec did and from all of the local guys I know that have had their spec clutches (most all stages) melt/weld themselves I would change it out in a heartbeat.
Been a great clutch for me that's for sure!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
been reading about the centerforce dfx, seem to have good reviews, not going up on power soon, so just want something that can hold my power level and is not an on/off clutch, any toughts on the dfx?

The DFX will hold power but it is definitely more of an on/off type clutch.
The Promotion is smooth with little to no chatter and holds a lot of power.
It is very streetable.

mustang john

Established Member
Everybody always seems to forget about Ram, i have had the same Ram HD clutch with steel flywheel in mine for around 20k miles and it still drives great track or street! It hits the tires hard at the track (see sig pic!!) and has over 200+ passes on it and drives nice on the street. It has lighter than stock pedal pressure and coupled with the steel flywheel engagement is very smooth. Only time i have issues is extended stop and go traffic where you are off and on the clutch alot more than usual, at those times i will get chatter but its nothing an extra few hundred RPM wont take care of as you release the pedal.

When the Ram does finally give out i will replace it with another one and keep on going!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ran the Ram HD with great sucess.
It help the power of a ported Eaton/100 shot on slicks.
Unfortunately some moron(me) was racing a Camaro and missed 3rd.
Went to fourth and sprayed. That was a real bad idea.
No only did the Camaro win but the clutch/PP/FW destroyed.
I do like the Promotion over the Ran HD.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
what do you mean by serious adjustments? r they really a pain in the (-;-) to get it right.. was planning on doing it myself but i dont know now...

Just make sure a professional installs it that has exp with the clutch. Shims, and cable adjustments/ pivot ball all need adjustment from stock setup. Worth it in the end for most. Mine hasn't lived up to the hype (yet)

TRBO VNM

Hmm, I have had the following

Stock
DFX
Spec 3
Spec 3+
Spec 5
Fidanza 4.3
Promotion 650hp version

And no, not all on the same car. Lol I have had 4 terminators. Just drove the car again today and I can say the pedal effort feels a bit lighter than the fidanza. The promotion has defininitely been the smoothest engagement than any of the other aftermarket clutches. The spec 3 is a close second. All the others had chatter/shudder or squealed like a stuck pig.

Right now all I can comment on is the pedal effort and engagement since I need to break it in before I can really test it out. It will be seeing 5500 rpm clutch dumps.

The other nice thing, aside from the fidanza, the cost of the promotion is very nice compared to the spec clutches.

Demonio

Established Member
ok im leaning toward the promotion, so what exactly set up would i need i know you guys say 650hp one but went to their site n have different disc..not sure if i might need them a call..

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
ok im leaning toward the promotion, so what exactly set up would i need i know you guys say 650hp one but went to their site n have different disc..not sure if i might need them a call..

Your best bet is to call them directly, tell them what you do with the car and follow their reccomendations.

Demonio

Established Member
ok called promotion and walt recoomended the cobra performance clutch with the Full/C Hot disk good to 675hp, he said they add more surface pad or something like that so it would not chatter like other companies, doing their tremec 26 spline,bearing input,race bearing for input, shim kit, has anyone used the tob that come with kit or order me a ford racing hd one? use their aluminum flywheel? and should i get a new tob sleeve? what you guys reccomend?

03ShadowSerpent

Calm Like a Bomb
Established Member
Hey guys. Newbie here. Its about clutch-replacing time for me as well.

+1 exaaaacccctly

i cant believe people spend $1k on just a clutch kit alone. that blows my mind! i have been running a promotion clutch for over 50k miles now, and LOVE IT. sooooo much lighter clutch pedal than stock. no strange noises, or chatter. it has never slipped, and has taken plenty of abuse. i got around 45k miles out of their $15 TOB (that comes with the clutch kit), before it even made the slightest chirp. changed that out, and still had plenty of clutch left. i paid a wopping $290 for their 520hp rated 3pc clutch kit.

if my clutch ever DOES need replaced again, i will be going right back to them.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

ok called promotion and walt recoomended the cobra performance clutch with the Full/C Hot disk good to 675hp, he said they add more surface pad or something like that so it would not chatter like other companies, doing their tremec 26 spline,bearing input,race bearing for input, shim kit, has anyone used the tob that come with kit or order me a ford racing hd one? use their aluminum flywheel? and should i get a new tob sleeve? what you guys reccomend?

if you are doing input shaft, might as well have a stronger sleeve since it is apart and only takes another 10min to change.

I have their TOB in my car now, but minimal to no miles on it, so I can't comment. I have seen others post on here that they have had success with their TOB. for me, just dropping the trans is easy enough, if I have to change the TOB sooner than typical, than I will.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
my vote goes for RXT. I've driven it for about 18 months now and it has no chatter, very smooth low rpm engagement whether in 1st or reverse, great holding power when I get on it, and did I mention its smooth?? lol. it's essentially hydraulic smooth and will make you second guess it's not. worth every penny if installed correctly. if and when it goes out, I'd buy another...but that doesn't look even close to happening

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I have a Promotion setup using their quadrant kit and cable.

I don't plan on any heavy racing or mods outside of an upper pulley so I stayed 10 spline.

I did get the hardened steel TOB retainer.

The clutch is easily twice as light as the 70k stocker I replaced. My foot nearly went through the carpet when I first tried it out. No chatter at all, holds well, and priced right.

03ShadowSerpent

Calm Like a Bomb
Established Member
What do you guys think about Exedy, Clutch Masters, Centerforce, and ACT? Thinking of going with the RAM Powergrip or Powergrip HD for now...

svtwes

Established Member
Im running the 11" 750hp Promotion clutch, very pleased with its steet manners an shutter free takeoffs. Also has excellent gripping power when you have the Hammer Down!

SVTDice

Established Member
I have the RAM Powergrip. I've put more then 3000 miles on it since I've owned the car so far its worked great. Its a heavy-ish clutch but I kind of like it. It chatters from time to time but I don't mind. I think if I ever need a new clutch I'm going to look into the Promotion, Anybody have a link to there site?

10sec89

Established Member
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

I just completed my install. I sent my flywheel back to McLeod for replacement heat shield, and installed the Promotion Clutch with their throw out bearing. WOW is all I can say. It feels like a hydraulic set up the pedal is so smooth and light. Car is a pleasure to shift compared to the stock clutch I pulled out. It's going to be hard to baby it for 500 miles for break in.

Users who are viewing this thread