What cars first stirred your passion?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Like these a lot. The typhoon was my favorite of these 2
21561ba9c90c2b8f754ac968aac566b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I knew a guy who had one, shit was cool as hell.

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
One of my neighbors got one of these when I was a kid. Silver with navy leather interior. I can still recall the smell of the leather when I first sat in it. The rear seats were tiny and uncomfortable.

1710894396528.jpeg

Recon

Established Member
a77d03d1438f7a657bb4340058d3f702.jpg

My dad’s slantnose.
I’m from a car family. My great grandfather held group b fuel drag championship in his 55 Bel air back in the early 60s in Louisville. My father had several noice cars throughout his life. Most notable in his youth were a 68 charger and 65 fairlane sports coupe. Then he transitioned to euro cars. Several Porsches, an Austin healey, bmws, a triumph, jags, Mercedes, etc.
He started racing vintage Porsches at road courses and did pretty decent. This happened during the 80s and early 90s.
The slantnose he bought the year I was born and the earliest memory of my life was in that car listening to juke box hero.
Then another jump was when I watched gone in 60 seconds and really paid attention to the cars. I had watched it several times before that viewing. But after that my love and admiration grew quite a lot for classic muscle cars.
Then my GT basically started my interest in modern cars. Before it I wouldn’t bother looking at anything newer than 1990.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

VegasMichael

Established Member
Television and movies got me started. My dad was never into cars or much of anything else for that matter so I got stirred up from watching Starsky and Hutch, Dukes of Hazard, Smokey and the Bandit.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Ive been surrounded by cars my whole life. What started off our collection, was an 88 Mustang GT that I bought new, and still have. Downhill from there.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure as far as I can remember I was prob 5-6 years old when my step dad took us to a cruise-in/car show. Seeing/hearing something like this rip down the street set the hook.
IMG_9781.jpeg
IMG_9780.jpeg

Whenever it was that I seen the movie Cobra (which needs to be added to the 80/90s movie thread lol) as a kid I thought it was such a cool car.
IMG_9783.jpeg

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure as far as I can remember I was prob 5-6 years old when my step dad took us to a cruise-in/car show. Seeing/hearing something like this rip down the street set the hook.
View attachment 1833375View attachment 1833376
Whenever it was that I seen the movie Cobra (which needs to be added to the 80/90s movie thread lol) as a kid I thought it was such a cool car. View attachment 1833377
The 55 is my absolute favorite of the tri 5's
Bucket list car for me simply because of everything I'd want done......we're talking powerball money

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
My Pa had a 56 T-bird. He sold it to some rando that walked up our driveway and offered a cash deal he didn't refuse. He regretted selling soon after.

My Pa had four '66 Cadillacs, a '54 Dodge Job Rated he bought for $1 and rebuilt, a 66 Thunderbird, a '66 Mustang, a '61 Fairlane, and likely a few others.

Beyond growing up with old muscle cars that rarely ran well while sounding and smelling excellent, the Porsche 959 got my attention.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Dad owned several Mustangs during my childhood. But I think the thing that really ignited my interest was his story of driving across Memphis to a used car lot (I still remember, he said it was Billy Mar's Used Cars (sp.?)) just because a guy dad worked with told him there was a 427 Cobra on the lot. Sure enough, it was there. Dad said the sales guy came out and told him " son, if you don't have $3500 cash, we're not even cranking it"
1973-74ish? $3500 for a gas guzzler in the midst of a gas crisis? Can't imagine how Dad passed it up!

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Dad owned several Mustangs during my childhood. But I think the thing that really ignited my interest was his story of driving across Memphis to a used car lot (I still remember, he said it was Billy Mar's Used Cars (sp.?)) just because a guy dad worked with told him there was a 427 Cobra on the lot. Sure enough, it was there. Dad said the sales guy came out and told him " son, if you don't have $3500 cash, we're not even cranking it"
1973-74ish? $3500 for a gas guzzler in the midst of a gas crisis? Can't imagine how Dad passed it up!
Nice!
I heard an interview with Bob Bondurant, he actually drove one of the Cobra Daytona to work at Bondurant school in California. He said it was loud and hot! Still had the spare tire in the back! Had to have turn signals and working lights for the GT class of cars of the time.

Driving a manufacturer championship winning car to work everyday......legend! Rip Bob.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just had a memory flashback. Back when I was in high school, our next door neighbor had a 1965 427 Pontiac Catalina 2+2. It was the most beautiful muscle car I had ever seen. Still remember the rumble of the 421 when he drove out his driveway, which was literally 5' from the side of our house. It was pretty much identical to this one.

acffe8b00fb0937a8e90df51d9258273.jpg

Sn95Snake

Established Member
My grandpa used to drag race when I was little. I also went to car shows with him all the time. One of my favorite memories is riding in his 1956 Ford F100 in the truck bed driving around car shows looking at all the cars.

I grew up in California, when I was around 6 years old I remember going to the beach and on the way seeing a Gen 2 Red Dodge Viper GTS. I have been in love with those damn cars ever sense.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I just had a memory flashback. Back when I was in high school, our next door neighbor had a 1965 427 Pontiac Catalina 2+2. It was the most beautiful muscle car I had ever seen. Still remember the rumble of the 421 when he drove out his driveway, which was literally 5' from the side of our house. It was pretty much identical to this one.

acffe8b00fb0937a8e90df51d9258273.jpg

Bob my dad had a 67 Pontiac Catalina. Was a beautiful car and room for days inside that thing. It was one long car, barely was able to fit it in the garage. I’ll have to see if I can find a picture of it to post. His had a 400 under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Vforce700

Established Member
I was into anything with tires and an engine (hydrocarbon fueled engine anyway). Settled on Ford before I was old enough to drive. First vehicle was a 74 F-100 2WD Regular Cab, Ranger XLT, with manual transmission and I think it was the 351. Truck was Midnight Blue. Got the truck at 17, and sold at 19. Wish I had kept. Then went smaller with an 80 VW Scirocco, which I still have.

Instead of Countach, I had Pantera's on the wall. I collected all the info. I could on Pantera's.

Where I grew up it was pickup trucks and American muscle cars that teenagers wanted. Then European imports started showing up- GTIs, BMW E30 3 Series, and Audi 4000 coupes. It's a resort area.

Friend had a pristine 69 orange GTO Judge in high school. White vinyl interior that he kept spotless. He would not take the Judge out of the garage in winter. His dad let him drive the Chevy Blazer in winter. I've never forgot-when we got a big snow, they would plow the snow into a row in the middle of the street, then later a front end loader would scoop it up and put it in dump trucks.

Troy would drive the Chevy Blazer down the middle of the street knocking the row of snow all over. We all had those multiband radios and would hear the cops on the scanner looking for him. So we'd go find him first to tell him the cops were on his case, because they'd call his dad and then he'd be grounded.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob my dad had a 67 Pontiac Catalina. Was a beautiful car and room for days inside that thing. It was one long car, barely was able to fit it in the garage. I’ll have to see if I can find a picture of it to post. His had a 400 under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The guy that owned the Catalina 421 somehow managed to fit it into the rented 1-car garage but the funny thing was that when exiting the garage it was too tight to turn hard left to exit on the driveway between our two houses. It definitely was a long car. Beautiful! But long! So he'd have to pull forward, back up turning hard right and then forward to exit between our house and his dad's. It was a very narrow driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread