Well that didn't last long!! Cracked a piston last night.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
JPC is installing a twin in tank pump fuel system, so no more BAP

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
To all of the people whining about the tune:

From what I read, AED is a great tuner and real good at tuning over the net. People keep chiming with comments about their cars running fine with AED tunes. Yes, most of your cars have Bolt ons and e-mail tunes are no issue. For the record, i did PM AED, and he was not willing to tune the car over e-mail being that it was turbo, which is completely understandable. JPC doesn't do e-mail tunes on turbo cars either. It's probably for reasons JUST LIKE THIS. Because when something goes around, everyone wants to point their finger at the tuner.

I work at a performance shop and we tune 5-8 cars a week (mostly hondas). Its the same thing here, for some reason, the tuner is automatically MARRIED to every car they touch. That's not the case.

My car had a weird issue. It would be rich and safe but then only on a repeated pull in 4th or 5th would it lean out. I had a very casual conversation with Steve where he thought that maybe my wideband sensor was off and/or just being delayed. We weren't sure. But in that convo he DID SAY "BUT DON'T BEAT ON IT, LETS GET THE REVISIONS DONE".

BBR goes out on a limb tuning these cars through e-mail. That doesn't make them 150% responsible if something goes wrong. They suggested I take it easy on the car. It's a BASE MAP, START UP FILE, whatever you want to call it. It's not meant to be beat on. I've said this in numerous threads already.

Now that the car is at JPC, and they're putting a boss motor in, it makes sense for them to tune it on the spot, because tuning on the spot is better than tuning through e-mail (when possible).

I didn't make this thread or post pics to bash BBR in any way. I can't speak for other peoples' experiences with them. But I can't blame them for what happened. I was gambling with this on a stock motor already and then further risked it by beating on it on a base map when they said not to. Plain and simple.

Synapse?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Sorry that this happened to you man. You have handled it well though. It looks like you'll be back on the road in no time. You are in good hands with JPC. Best of luck man. Glad to see you are keeping the car and doing it right.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Thanks man!!

I think my biggest complaint of JPC so far is that they're working on the car too fast!! Once I get them gaskets I have this fear that they're going to bust the car out within a few weeks and then tell me I have an 800whp car sitting ready to go, lol. All this when I told them to keep it on the back burner over the winter, lol. These guys are no joke !! I'm so happy I brought them the car.

StevenStarke

Established Member
I thought he said it was because it had a base tune in it but he was getting into boost.

No. I shouldn't have been beating on it on a base map. BUT, the car was real rich pretty much all the time. It was just when I got on it in 4th or 5th, let off the gas and then hit it again, it would lean out.

Eric is going to post up a pic soon of what it could have possibly caused it. It's not a smoking gun, but could be responsible.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
So did JPC ever pinpoint or find the cause of the engine failure...

we did find this fuel line

kinkedfuelline_zpsb9e887fa.jpg

mechanicboy

Established Member
No. I shouldn't have been beating on it on a base map. BUT, the car was real rich pretty much all the time. It was just when I got on it in 4th or 5th, let off the gas and then hit it again, it would lean out.

Eric is going to post up a pic soon of what it could have possibly caused it. It's not a smoking gun, but could be responsible.

we did find this fuel line

kinkedfuelline_zpsb9e887fa.jpg

So you were under heavy throttle when this happened? It should have had enough fuel at least until heavier throttle. It was probably a combination of things.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Very nice! Any idea if that fuel line was bent before or after the motor popped? Are the fuel lines even touched with the hellion install?

StevenStarke

Established Member
Very nice! Any idea if that fuel line was bent before or after the motor popped? Are the fuel lines even touched with the hellion install?

I don't think I had to touch any fuel lines but I'm not exactly sure where that part of the line was. Who knows.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Also, what happened to your original turbo setup? You had purple compressor housings before, right?

Users who are viewing this thread