Well, I officially joined the ranks of the unemployed last night about 10:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
I got laid off 2 months ago. I dont mind a little time off but I would really like to keep my toys. :(

I guess I'll mow yards like I did when I was a lad.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
Still no job for me! I've now been unemployed for a month, and I'm BORED! I have had the privilege of a few interviews (Data Analyst roles), but as of this moment, no job offer. My wife-to-be was also laid off, and I think it's time for a mandatory vacation because we're getting more and more 'blue' by the day.

** Do you guys recommend thank you notes after the interview? My last interview was last Friday, and I'm tempted to type up something but I feel so d@mn cheesy.

buckinwild

Established Member
I hate to hear about this, I'm still employed for the moment but my company is trying to come out of bankruptcy right now they want us to take a 10% cut in pay this after taking a cut in hours a year ago. My yearly gross income went from 55K to 40K and consenquently i couldn't afford to make payments to credit cards and haven't since june last year now they are threatening garnishments, my wife and I will likely have to go chapter 13 bankruptcy which isn't that bad of a deal if thats what it takes, the garnishments would be too much to eat I think. She works at a real estate company accounts payable and they're running kinda lean as well, could close anyday. My thoughts and prayers go out to you all that have already lost your jobs, it has been a previledge meeting with all of you on these boards, Good luck gentlemen...

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
I really hope things turn around SOON. Never stop looking for another job. Good luck.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Good luck to all of yall.

We are hiring sales reps if ya'll don't mind retail..hahahaha

Bad Fish

Established Member
Lost my job last Thursday, saw it coming months ago so it was not a shock. No worries though, I've been fishing every day and enjoying my time off since. As one of my fishing buddies said yesterday, "I only stop fishing and go back to work when the money runs out." He's got another bread winner at home though.

Good luck to all you guys out there looking for work. Interviewing sucks.

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
I got fired in January from my old job due to lack of performance. Lets just say it was bullshit due to the fact I was at a location that they were shutting down due to lack of business (Lack of business=lack of performace) I wasn't in charge of the marketing or getting more business. But I made the effort to get the business.

I had 70% of the body shops in the area using us, and I had two service centers using us for service rentals. I was in a small town and they wanted me to crank out 30000 a month in less than a year of being at that location.

I was out of a job for about three months. Got on at a staffing agency that staffs for manual work, (mind you I have a BBA in marketing). I got hired at a company to help inventory parts and get them ready to ship to the new wharehouse. Since I had a degree I was put in charge of auditing. Then I was asked to stay on permanent in the Marketing/Customer Service/Inside Sales department. It's a small company so I wear many hats

Geting paid more than I ever did at Hertz! I get paid more for 4 days of work here than I did working 6 days and 53 hours at Hertz!

The moral of the story is, you might have to take a job that pays the bills, and it may turn into something else.

brucesvt

Established Member
Man sorry hear about your lossed guys. well even though the market i am in kind of sucks i got word last night that i get to keep my job with no raise due the economic times, because there w. which is fine by me but the only thing is that i recently obtained my MBA and the market sucks. and being in banking for the last 7yrs has left a bad taste in my mouth i guess i'll just have to suck it up a little while longer. if anyone in the el paso area knows of any jobs please let me know

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
To the OP, welcome to the club. I was working in Stafford doing R&D as a Product development engineer for a year when business got slow and they had to let a bunch of people go. Since I live off 1488 and 2978, right around the corner from you, I'm not so heartbroken about skipping that daily commute. I was let go 2 months and I haven't found any engineering jobs for someone with only a year of experience. Too much experience on the market for a firm to pick up someone like me. So I'm studying to take my GRE so I can try for a masters. It seems a lot of people got the idea because college enrollment is through the roof lately. Great, even more fierce competition.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Sorry guys.....you guys keep your head's up. Things will get better. I'm lucky in the sense I have a good job, bad part it's in iraq. I'm scared to leave. Pretty sure I'm gonna come back and go to school for something other than IT(an already flood market, now with the economy, I'm getting out), the changes in the Post 9/11 GI bill looks pretty good. Thinking about going to the local tech school for auto body repair, or something basic, and hands on.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Sorry to hear of your job loss. My son was laid off from IT in February; I was laid off after 24 years last month, so we both share your pain (plus we live in that economic mecca, Michigan).

Dye your skin darker, speak with a foreign accent, live 12 to a room in a rented house; that's where all the IT jobs are going.

First they told us that it was OK to lose manufacturing; that we would survive as a "service economy:..

Now, service jobs are being outsourced, and we are being told we can survive as an "entertainment society"..

Anyone hear of "Bollywood"?

Can you flip burgers?

:read:

India's Premier Bollywood Portal - BollywoodWorld.com

I thought I read somewhere that this trend was starting to reverse itself? Basically, companies were finding out that it was cheaper to have local talent working on the same schedule as the rest of the company, versus overseas developers who you have to work out a stringent scheduling plan to even talk to.

Then again, this was from a developer's standpoint, which is what I do.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I bill the company I currently consult for monthly. The other day I went into the owners office (also my friend for many years) to sign my invoice so I could have my check cut. He said he needed to talk to me...I knew what was coming. I didn't lose my job (currently they're my largest customer, so much so that for the last year or so they've been my only customer and being I had to give them all my time I dropped a few smaller guys and didn't solicite any new work) but was asked to take a pay cut!!! Before he gave me a figure I asked him "Okay, so how much is it going to cost me to keep my job?" It was 20%. I negoitiated that down to 10%. I got the whole song and dance how all the partners and any outside consultants were taking cuts. I told him that (again, this guy is a friend, he's almost like a big brother to me, so I can speak freely to him without worrying about negitive repercussions) that I'm not an owner and while I am not on the payroll if the IRS looked at this situation they'd determine I was an employee, not an outside consultant. He brought up the only other outside consultant and how she had taken the 20% cut. I had to remind him that she was the wife of his partner, so shes basically a defacto owner!!! Anyway, I went over everything with him and clarified what the parameters are for my salary to go back to "normal", as well as if and when these parameters are met would there be repayment of any lost wages over the reduced pay period. Either way, I still have my job; I'm just making 10% less then I did before. Hopefully things will recover ASAP and everyone will get their acts back together!!! Until then, my mods have to be thought about very carefully. Now I truly need the most bang for less bucks!!! Anyone out there looking for work all I can say is take whatever you can get and hold onto it until something better comes along. Things are way tougher out there then most people think!!! Good luck to alll!!!

Last edited:

hunterp

Established Member
Hell, all these folks with IT experience getting laid off, maybe we should all get together and start our own outfit :)

chikenkiwi2

Established Member
Well, I have an interview with a company in Plymouth, Minnesota. Anyone from that area that can tell me about the quality of life there?

Plymouth is a pretty decent suburb of the twin cities. Probably 10 min from downtown Minneapolis. Homes average about 300k to 900k+ in plymouth. Just to give you an idea. :burnout:

Vigilante

Established Member
Old thread I know, but i needed to vent and this was about the same thing.

I was fired on 1/05/10 great way to start out the new year!

So two years ago, AZ raised the minimum age required for most employment to 18. Don't know if it was printed or said anywhere, but I did 201 applications and got one call back. I would go to a major intersection or mall, grab 40 apps fill them all out and turn them in the next day. I call with a follow up every day after for a week. After nothing i reapeated for a couple months.

I finally got a job, that one call back, and happily accepted. For the next two years i worked hard and helped the manager whenever i could, etc. I had just finished the managers training program when They started doing wierd things like writing me up for being 5 mins late six months ago. Or saying i was warned about an action nine months ago and that if I did it again I'd be terminated.

So I bought 1200 bucks worth of crap for everyone for chrismas including headers and a tv for me. Then I hit a patch of sand and tore a control arm as I was turning into work. For some reason the dealership would not allow the car go with out fixing some 3 grand worht of parts and labor for a control arm and CV boot. I saw the car on the lift and it wasn't bad at all, I told him It looked fine, especially since I wasn't going that fast and just tapped it in a wierd spot thus tearing it. Whatever another 500 for the deduc. and i won't get it back til next monday.

I had also stopped going to school to concentrate on work for that manager program. So at this point i'm literally bending over backwards for this stupid company. Picking up extra shifts, helping the manager and doing favors for people. So as part of the training i picked up scheduling to help myself. I asked the events manager whats going on tonight? This is what got me fired. He told me "nothing," so I had the closer come in a little later. Well It was super busy and I called him out on it. Since I caught him in his lie he decided to report it, not to my manager but HR.

Now I have no job, no car, and no money. I'm sick and have no idea where to apply because i've stuck in an application everywhere. The next job I get I'm not doing s**t or talking to anyone but HR. Its ****ing faaantastic to be unemployed:bored:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread